Dynamax Adventures Thread

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
And with that...I have everyone! I still need the Hoenn starters and version exclusives but I'm content for now. Despite all my grumbling this was a fun exercise to do.
If you want Beast Ball Porygon, this is the only way, so there's that too if you want it.
Don't sleep on Scyther, dude was a MVP. Technician Wing Attack and Quick Attack were big carries on my run with him.
I don't think that's what they meant. Scyther's not protected from Swagger's confusion by Misty Terrain. At least the AI tried to do something smart and failed than something stupid and succeeded. :P

So, everyone here knows that Maractus loves using Acupressure. Did you know it's kind enough to sometimes use it on you allies? Well, it's kind enough even to target your allies even if it's your Dynamax opponent! I was going to post this in the Stupid AI thread, but I realized it's a glitch before posting. You're not supposed to be able to use Acupressure on opponents, only yourself and allies.

If you want Beast Ball Porygon, this is the only way, so there's that too if you want it.
Oh yeah I had meant to bring that up a while ago, I thought it was pretty cool to see Porygon (& Slowking, for that matter) in the adventures since they otherwise weren't capturable
I don't think that's what they meant. Scyther's not protected by Misty Terrain. At least the AI tried to do something smart and failed than something stupid and succeeded. :P
Oh...haha woops. Yeah the terrain interactions not affecting flying/levitating pokemon always throws me for a loop. Always having to go "okay so im flying but their landed and that means...."

So, everyone here knows that Maractus loves using Acupressure. Did you know it's kind enough to sometimes use it on you allies? Well, it's kind enough even to target your allies even if it's your Dynamax opponent! I was going to post this in the Stupid AI thread, but I realized it's a glitch before posting. You're not supposed to be able to use Acupressure on opponents, only yourself and allies.
In my Drapion's case, it just kept using it on everyone every which way. For several turns in a row. Instead of attacking. I mean it was helpful but also drapion please...

Are you sure there wasn't some weird ability interaction? What an odd glitch to affect the opponent, I haven't seen that happen despite several drapions & maractuses in my runs.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In my Drapion's case, it just kept using it on everyone every which way. For several turns in a row. Instead of attacking. I mean it was helpful but also drapion please...

Are you sure there wasn't some weird ability interaction? What an odd glitch to affect the opponent, I haven't seen that happen despite several drapions & maractuses in my runs.
I'm sure I've said it before, but I think anything with moves the AI doesn't know how to use is worth considering just so they can't take it...

I paying about 75% attention so there's a small chance that I've been mistaken. I saw Maractus use Acupressure and I'm positive that I was paying enough that I would've seen Maractus getting stat boosts. It's a pretty obvious visual on something that big. I'm pretty sure Quagsire used Focus Blast after gaining the stat boost, but it might have used Amnesia that turn instead. When the opponent used Acupressure they targeted an AI's Water Absorb Quagsire. (The AI on the far left if it matters) I had Static Stunfisk, the other AI on the left Sniper Seadra, and I think the AI to the right had Rivalry Fraxure. The Maractus using it had Storm Drain, but no one was using any Water attacks.

Scrolled through quickly and didn't see this come up...

I assume despite the 100% catch rate, heavy ball is still a no-go for Dynamax mons?

I'm sure I've said it before, but I think anything with moves the AI doesn't know how to use is worth considering just so they can't take it...

I paying about 75% attention so there's a small chance that I've been mistaken. I saw Maractus use Acupressure and I'm positive that I was paying enough that I would've seen Maractus getting stat boosts. It's a pretty obvious visual on something that big. I'm pretty sure Quagsire used Focus Blast after gaining the stat boost, but it might have used Amnesia that turn instead. When the opponent used Acupressure they targeted an AI's Water Absorb Quagsire. (The AI on the far left if it matters) I had Static Stunfisk, the other AI on the left Sniper Seadra, and I think the AI to the right had Rivalry Fraxure. The Maractus using it had Storm Drain, but no one was using any Water attacks.
I am pretty sure I had one of the bosses use acupressure on one of my (AI) teammates as well, as I remember being surprised and relieved that it it boosted my team instead of itself, but I can't remember which mon used it or what the other mons were. I don't think we had any follow me users. I am not sure if it was Drapion or Maractus that used it.

I don't think that's what they meant. Scyther's not protected from Swagger's confusion by Misty Terrain. At least the AI tried to do something smart and failed than something stupid and succeeded. :P
Yep, that's what i meant, Scyther i definitely very good, especially with STAB technician-boosted fury cutter.

I am pretty sure I had one of the bosses use acupressure on one of my (AI) teammates as well, as I remember being surprised and relieved that it it boosted my team instead of itself, but I can't remember which mon used it or what the other mons were. I don't think we had any follow me users. I am not sure if it was Drapion or Maractus that used it.
Oh yeah, if the dynamaxed pokemon uses acupressure, it's generally gonna be on you for some reason. I've had pincurchin, maractus and drapion do it.
The AI also doesn't seem to check the abilities of it's targets sometimes. Suicune sometimes like to heal dry skin or water absorb mons for example.

Also i'm 160 catches on suicune without it shining. I'm begging the game to end my suffering at this point.

Maybe the AI is not as bad as I thought...

Yesterday we were doing a run with a Fairy boss at the end. Right from the start, I picked Klefki, my brother something irrelevant which he later swapped for Nidoking, while two AI bots chose Vileplume and Gloom. This was very promising! However, the AI swapped first Vileplume, then Gloom right before the boss battle. At first, I rage. However, after seeing that our boss was Tapu Lele, I had to give the AI credit for swapping out those Poison-types. Sure, Tapu Lele butchered our Nidoking, but Klefki and the two AI allies (can't remember what they were) beat Lele without any trouble.

So this made me think: Does the AI actually know what it's doing? Or was this just coincidence?

Afterthought: Lightning Rod Manectric is dubiously interesting when 2/3 allies are Electric-types spamming Electric attacks. Manectric is seriously buff at the end of the battle though.

Last edited:
Maybe the AI is not as bad as I thought...

Yesterday we were doing a run with a Fairy boss at the end. Right from the start, I picked Klefki, my brother something irrelevant which he later swapped for Nidoking, while two AI bots chose Vileplume and Gloom. This was very promising! However, the AI swapped first Vileplume, then Gloom right before the boss battle. At first, I rage. However, after seeing that our boss was Tapu Lele, I had to give the AI credit for swapping out those Poison-types. Sure, Tapu Lele butchered our Nidoking, but Klefki and the two AI allies (can't remember what they were) beat Lele without any trouble.

So this made me think: Does the AI actually know what it's doing? Or was this just coincidence?

Afterthought: Lightning Rod Manectric is dubiously interesting when 2/3 allies are Electric-types spamming Electric attacks. Manectric is seriously buff at the end of the battle though.
I've had the AI ditch a dark type for a grass type right before a Blacephelon raid. Probably coincidence.

Yeh sadly the AI is quite inconsistent in their swaps.

They *usually* will swap if they are low on HP, but I've seen them arbitrarly change pokemon a few times for no reason.

Also, I *think* the AI will never take precedence over an actual player, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Last edited:
If I had to guess they just roll the dice on if they want something and the lower on health the more weighted it is.

I've never seen an AI get a Pokemon I say I want, though. Wouldn't surprise me if we human players got priority in all scenarios.

I FINALLY GOT MY SHINY SUICUNE ! Took me 171 catches but it was well worth it.

Now onto Entei...
If I had to guess they just roll the dice on if they want something and the lower on health the more weighted it is.

I've never seen an AI get a Pokemon I say I want, though. Wouldn't surprise me if we human players got priority in all scenarios.
Every decision that is supposed to be a group decision becomes your decision offline, if you take the mon it will be yours even if another AI wanted it, and of course, the path you take will always be the one you chose.

I FINALLY GOT MY SHINY SUICUNE ! Took me 171 catches but it was well worth it.

Now onto Entei...

Every decision that is supposed to be a group decision becomes your decision offline, if you take the mon it will be yours even if another AI wanted it, and of course, the path you take will always be the one you chose.
So is your plan to get shiny versions of every Legend in the dens? Gods speed as you head into spread hel

So is your plan to get shiny versions of every Legend in the dens? Gods speed as you head into spread hel
Yep, except maybe shield exclusives since i have a really bad internet connection (my switch won't even connect to my router). Honestly i didn't expect the first hunt to take THIS long (the longest hunt i saw on r/shinypokemon was 192 for rayquaza), and i'm so happy to finally have my azure doggo.

I also keep some legends for the very end, one being zygarde (self-explanatory) and i'm thinking about adding giratina as well since i heard he was pretty difficult to deal with.
I'm heading straight into Entei since i already registered it's path, then i'll just roll the dice to see which hunt is next i guess !

if you take the mon it will be yours even if another AI wanted it, and of course, the path you take will always be the one you chose.
But only if you are offline. Just saw the AI take a Claydol from a player with a Carkoal. Then proceeded to switch that out IMMEDIATELY after for a Musharna from a scientist when it and the Carkoal person tried taking that.

And then the Entei we fought after that ohko'd the Carkoal.

I just got shiny Entei in 5 tries, i can't believe it ! I guess the game is apologizing to me for the previous hunt haha, the 1% was with me this time.

Next is Solgaleo ! I almost timed out on it's battle, that lion is pretty tanky. Praise the sun i guess.

Last edited:
Ok so Solgaleo has proven really hard to beat, thanks to it's attack stat and full metal body. The AI likes throwing the first turn by using stuff like charm on it...
Sunsteel Strike also seems to have negative priority for some reason ? It always seem to use it at the very end of the turn, and it can actually surprise you with this : It attacks first, goes into desperate mode in the same turn after that, THEN ATTACKS AGAIN with sunsteel strike on the same turn. Iron Tail, even if it's inaccurate, really likes to oneshot frail mons that aren't even weak to it.
And like i said, the AI really doesn't understand clear or full metal body. It will use at least one useless status move per AI partner in each battle.
I beat it 2 times, and even then those were pretty close. I think i'll have to save it for later once i'm more experienced with other legendaries...

Ok so Solgaleo has proven really hard to beat, thanks to it's attack stat and full metal body. The AI likes throwing the first turn by using stuff like charm on it...
Sunsteel Strike also seems to have negative priority for some reason ? It always seem to use it at the very end of the turn, and it can actually surprise you with this : It attacks first, goes into desperate mode in the same turn after that, THEN ATTACKS AGAIN with sunsteel strike on the same turn. Iron Tail, even if it's inaccurate, really likes to oneshot frail mons that aren't even weak to it.
And like i said, the AI really doesn't understand clear or full metal body. It will use at least one useless status move per AI partner in each battle.
I beat it 2 times, and even then those were pretty close. I think i'll have to save it for later once i'm more experienced with other legendaries...
I actually wonder if this is true of all the legendary signature moves -- I can't recall any time off the top of my head where a legendary has used its signature move that wasn't at the end of the turn.

I believe the way it works is that once they get desperate and attack twice, the second attack uses a greatly reduced version of their speed in the turn order. Additionally, Pokemon gain a 5th move when they get desperate, which in many cases is the signature move. So it's possible that the added move is always the second attack that moves slower.

I'm definitely finding myself enjoying this format, and a little luck goes a long way.

Ended up rolling over Zygarde like it was nothing because I had acid spray Octillery and happened to be faster than 2 teammates with special ice stab.

I will no longer complain about SwSh's difficulty after facing Palkia. I don't think I ever managed to last more than three turns against that Surf spamming horror. It doesn't even matter how many Pokemon you lose prior to facing it because two or three Surfs will team wipe you even if you get up Light Screen!

I will no longer complain about SwSh's difficulty after facing Palkia. I don't think I ever managed to last more than three turns against that Surf spamming horror. It doesn't even matter how many Pokemon you lose prior to facing it because two or three Surfs will team wipe you even if you get up Light Screen!
When I see Dragon or Water (or Ground) type boss, my first istinct is look a path for a wide guarder.
Both have egregious AoE spammers that demand having it or just... death.
While some AoE spamming bosses you can bruteforce down before they nuke you, Palkia, Zygarde and Kyogre have this bad issue of also being quite bulky with good typings...

We did beat Xerneas yesterday without Wide Guard, but it was sheer luck with it deciding to only use Dazzling Gleam once over 4 turns. All it would have taken was a 2nd gleam at any point and it was complete murder.

I'm still not quite sure how my squad beat Zygarde without wide guard. Like it wasn't even a nail biter and it did use quite a few spread moves. guess we just had a good spread of bulk, stat lowering and a few wayward binds?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)