Project VGC 2019 Ultra Series - POTW Analysis: Rotom (Wash, Heat, and Mow)

What spooky Pokémon should I write about for next week's article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VGC 2019 Ultra Series POTW: Week 6

mudkip!!!.png

Here we are with another Pokémon of the Week (POTW) article ladies and gents, and gamers of all ages! I hope you're enjoying my Mudkip banner (once again, made by the super talented JustoonSmitts !), because I know I am! As many of you are already aware, I am playing a bit of catch-up in order to get back up to date, and I released LAST week's article this past Friday to make up for the missed article. To stay on top of things, I'm writing a second article for this weekend. So, the Pokémon for this article is...

1571111883992.png
1571111858693.png
1571111916988.png

Rotom! Three forms of it, to be exact. When I went to my very first PC of VGC 2019 (which was in Moon Series), I used Rotom-Mow on a Xerneas Kyogre "counterteam" whose only loss was to Xerneas Kyogre, which was one of a few vibe checks to my confidence in this format, but at least I got a top 4 finish, or 12 CP. I didn't get any other CP in the VGC 2019 cycle, which means I got 100% of my CP this past cycle with Rotom-Mow. But how does this small Moon Series success translate into Ultra Series?
Overview

Type: Electric/Water (Wash)/Fire (Heat)/Grass (Mow)

Base Stats (for all three forms)
HP: 50

Attack: 65
Defense: 107
Sp. Attack: 105
Sp. Defense: 107
Speed: 86

The only thing that changes between the three forms I'm going to be discussing today is the secondary typing and the STAB attack that corresponds to each type. The bulk is pretty respectable and makes for a pretty good defensive bulky berry set. Its Electric typing, Volt Switch, and a base 105 SpA also gives it a decent way to switch out while hitting Crobat, Tornadus, Tapu Fini (which it outspeeds by 1 base point), Yveltal, and Kyogre for reasonable damage. The big factor that determines what it can and cannot take, unsurprisingly, is its secondary typing. Before we get into that though, I've got a bit more to discuss!

Abilities:

Levitate: the only ability it gets is thankfully all it could have ever wanted! Being an Electric-type that doesn't fear Ground STAB attacks from Groudon and Landorus-T is pretty incredible, and this allows it to be paired much better with Pokémon that hate Ground attacks, such as Incineroar, your own Groudon, and Dusk-Mane Necrozma.

Notable Moves:

- Physical:

Foul Play - This attack has a couple primary targets. The five big ones are Lunala, Groudon, Dusk-Mane Necrozma/Physical Ultra Burst Necrozma, Solgaleo, and Rayquaza. However, Groudon fears Hydro Pump much more from RotoWash (under Air Lock, Delta Stream, or Primordial Sea of course) and Will-O-Wisp can also punish the latter three aforementioned Pokémon.

- Special:
Hydro Pump (Wash) - This attack does more damage than Tapu Fini's Scald to common Pokémon such as Primal Groudon, Nihilego, Stakataka, and Incineroar, and is pretty mandatory for good overall damage on RotoWash's moveset.
Overheat (Heat) - Also mandatory on its respective set. The SpA drop is "negligible" given that you're likely going to be supporting your partner or switching out with Volt Switch a lot anyway, so the higher accuracy and power than Hydro Pump is nice. It still does a nice chunk to Primal Groudon under Heavy Sun due to PDon's relatively low SpDef. In addition, it wallops Bronzong, non-AV Tapu Koko, Togedemaru, Amoonguss, Solgaleo, Dusk-Mane Necrozma (can I call Solgaleo and Dusk-Mane Necro "Sun Cats" or will no one get the idea? I don't feel like typing them both out every time).
Leaf Storm (Mow) - Presumably a surprise to no one, it's in a similar boat as Overheat as both have the same power and accuracy. However, in the scope of typing cohesiveness, it doesn't hit much that the Electric STAB attack doesn't already cover. It serves more as a method of hitting Fini and Kyogre harder than Volt Switch can, but this isn't all that useful. For reasons I will explain later, this move is partially why RotoMow faces stiff competition from Amoonguss as a Grass-type. It worked okay at my PC in Moon Series, but the need for several Grass-types was much greater there and RotoMow just worked for it. But I digress, back to the notable moves!
Thunderbolt - The moveslot for this attack is usually in direct competition with Volt Switch, and safe switching is just so important in this format. However, if you do find yourself wanting Thunderbolt, you can use it to better hit the aforementioned Electric-weak Pokémon, as every little bit of damage helps in a team effort to win.
Volt Switch - Like I said, safe switching is super important in this format, so I feel that this is much more usable than the other two Electric moves sandwiching it. Without any SpA investment, it still does 33% to an average bulky Tapu Fini spread and a little over 30% to an average Primal Kyogre.
Thunder - This is only usable on Electrium Z variants that aim to bop Fini as fast as humanly possible. With the rise of Z-Moves on supporters like Incineroar, Crobat, and Tapu Fini sets support Pokémon with strong Z options are starting to become more commonplace now. Therefore, I think there can be a place for a Z-Move set for all three sets of Rotom.

- Status/Support:
Reflect - Since Rotom is a supporter that doesn't get Intimidate, having a way to mitigate physical attacks is a nice asset for the appropriate teams, although I think the other screen is largely a better pick for the current post-Worlds meta.
Light Screen - This is a move I find to be a great support to many Pokémon, and is very common on Tapu Fini these days. Just like the Alolan water deity, all three Rotom forms I'll be discussing can do well with it. You can expect to see Light Screen make their way onto their sample sets for sure.
Electroweb - I personally don't like this as much as Tailwind, Trick Room, or even Icy Wind (difference in typing makes the difference). That said, it's an effective method of setting speed control up and dealing decent chip damage at the same time. This feels like a big "mandatory attack" for this reason.

Will-O-Wisp - Missing one of these is the reason I lost to a XernOgre whilst using a XernOgre counterteam at the PC I got RotoMow CP with. Anyway, this status hits only a select few important Pokémon and its usability is going down as the usage of Tapu Fini on XernDon teams keeps this from hitting grounded physical attackers.
Ally Switch - *sigh* yes, Rotom gets it. It serves as an okay pseudo-redirective attack, and many of the usual users of Ally Switch, like Cresselia and Shedinja, don't get access to a switching move/don't use or need a switching move. Therefore, it can cause several mind-games between your opponent predicting you to use Ally Switch or just Volt Switch out.
Protect - like many supporters in this format, Rotom doesn't usually need Protect, but it's always an option if the situation calls for it.

Sample Sets

1571111939426.png

Now then, I'm going to do this in a specific order. I'm going to arrange these sets from least to most viable. Keep in mind that some of these sets can be used on multiple forms, with the only alterations being some of the Pokémon they can handle and the secondary STAB attack on their moveset. Also, despite the above picture, keep in mind that I will not be talking about normal Rotom (although credit where credit is due, this is the cutest picture of Rotom in the anime I could find).

:sm/rotom-mow:

Moves:
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen
- Electroweb/Will-O-Wisp/Protect
Ability: Levitate
Item: Grassium Z
Nature: Calm (-Atk, +SpD)
EVs: 156 HP, 4 Def, 228 SpA, 108 SpD, 12 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk

I was going to include a defensive support set for RotoMow, but I genuinely don't like it in Ultra Series. I don't like any supportive Grass-type in Ultra Series except Amoonguss because Kyogre just isn't seen as much as in Sun and Moon Series. RotoMow in particular just feels outclassed in its defensive supportive set by RotoWash. This is because you only use RotoMow over RotoWash to hit Kyogre and Tapu Fini harder with STAB Leaf Storm than with Volt Switch, but this is contradictory to a support set in general, as you're trying to support your hard-hitting Pokémon, not become one. I can understand this with things like Incineroar and Tapu Fini. Incineroar can still perform its primary supportive roles well despite needing more Attack investment since Intimidate and Fake Out happen happen before the opponent attacks and it can still fire off a powerful Malicious Moonsault. Tapu Fini can also still perform its primary supportive roles well despite not having a Berry to heal because no extra SpAtk investment is needed for Fairium or Waterium Z-Moves to KO the Pokémon they need to as long as you have the right moves (Moonblast and Scald/Hydro Pump, respectively). In order to hit the benchmarks RotoMow needs for Leaf Storm to have much of an impact over Volt Switch, I found RotoMow couldn't subscribe to a normal bulky berry support set. Therefore, I ditched the set entirely and present you with this other set I have for it.

Even now, it doesn't have much use over similar sets on RotoWash. It dies to a lot and easily deserves the title of "least usable set" in my eyes. However, it CAN usually take a hit that isn't a Z-Move from a restricted Pokémon or super effective and physical. It's also one of the few hard answers to the omnipresent Tapu Fini in this format. To give you an idea of what this set can do, here are some calcs:

228+ SpA Rotom-C Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 74-90 (35.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 138-164 (66.6 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 206-246 (99.5 - 118.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Tapu Fini: 78-92 (44 - 51.9%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Tapu Fini: 140-168 (79 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Tapu Fini: 212-252 (119.7 - 142.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 75-88 (44.6 - 52.3%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 111-132 (66 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 112-133 (54.1 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 168-198 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ SpA Rotom-C Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus: 134-158 (87 - 102.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 156 HP / 108 SpD Rotom-C: 124-146 (85.5 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 156 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 123-145 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 156 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 106-126 (73.1 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 156 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 126-148 (86.8 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Incineroar U-turn vs. 156 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 56-68 (38.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The C in Rotom-C means Cut, which I guess is another way of saying Rotom-Mow in this instance. By no means is this the most outstanding list of calcs ever. However, if you don't intend to use Rayquaza on your team, then RotoWash can't land its Hydro Pumps and Hydro Vortexes as effectively due to the common Desolate Land from Primal Groudon. In order to still heavily damage Groudon and Stakataka without worrying about Heavy Sun, one can use an offense oriented RotoMow over a similar RotoWash. Light Screen is the most crucial support attack here, given how specially oriented the current meta seems to be headed. Taking a note from Support Koko, Tornadus, and Fini (the former with Electroweb and the latter two with Icy Wind), Electroweb is nice to drop the speed of both opponents while still dealing a bit of chip damage. Given how slow this set is, catching opponents switching in can be really nice to ensure you can Volt Switch or Bloom Doom as needed. You could also use Will-O-Wisp, but I feel this is a rather niche attack on an already niche Pokémon. It can neuter Ray and Mence, but Ray can Dragon Ascent before it can use it and Salamence has the chance to straight up OHKO it if it's max attack Jolly (which is albeit not that common). These two also have ways around a Burn on their common sets: Rayquaza with Swords Dance and Mence just switching to Hyper Voice. It also doesn't reliably stand up to Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge either. Therefore, to get the best use out of this attack, you should also use Incineroar (which also benefits from Rotom's ability to scare Water-types) for Fake Out and Intimidate. Finally, Protect can make itself serviceable because RotoMow already has a tough time taking many attacks, so preventing the additional chip damage from Fake Out, Volt Switch, U-Turn, and Icy Wind can help it against more important attacks. This also has the added benefit of burning the Z-Moves RotoMow has a tough time dealing with.

As far as partners go, Kyogre is a pretty good since it benefits from RotoMow being able to smack opposing Kyogre and Groudon that switches in while Heavy Rain is up. This is also something that Dusk Mane Necro and Solgaleo can benefit from immensely, not to mention they also like Light Screen. Incineroar is a good Pokémon to have as well, since it's another great support that benefits from reasons I've already mentioned, and its great Lunala matchup is useful for RotoMow, Kyogre, and DMN/Solgaleo.

However, this is far from the best Rotom you can use. One step up on this imaginary competitive Rotom ladder I have created in my head and we get the next set:

:sm/rotom-heat:

Moves:
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen/Electroweb
- Electroweb/Reflect/Will-O-Wisp/Foul Play/Ally Switch
Item: Wiki Berry/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP, 52 Def, 4 SpA, 164 SpD, 36 Spe

Mmkay so this set is for RotoHeat, which has a much better typing than RotoMow I personally feel. Many Fire-types in this format find themselves weak to Ground attacks from Landorus-T and Groudon, but RotoHeat's 4x weakness is completely nullified by Levitate (bar Gravity strats which admittedly you do need to watch out for). This RotoHeat has some other good traits typing-wise. For one, it resists Fairy and has access to Light Screen, which is great when aiding in the anti-Xerneas effort every good team must have in some capacity. Although it's weak to Water, unlike its Mowing counterpart, it can still threaten back decently damaging Volt Switches onto Pokémon like Primal Kyogre and Tapu Fini. After bulk was calculated, the remaining EVs were added to Speed to ensure it can Volt Switch before Tapu Fini can Scald. Here are some calcs to get you familiar with this set:

4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 103-123 (50.4 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solgaleo: 168-200 (68.8 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 120-144 (61.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 236 HP / 196+ SpD Amoonguss: 134-162 (61.1 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Figy Berry recovery
4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Ferrothorn: 240-288 (132.5 - 159.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Togedemaru: 200-236 (141.8 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Tapu Fini: 60-72 (33.8 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 56-68 (31.8 - 38.6%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 102-120 (53.1 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 66-80 (33.8 - 41%) -- 50% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus: 102-120 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H: 122-146 (79.2 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 SpA Lunala Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H: 129-153 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H: 78-93 (50.6 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Figy Berry recovery
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H through Light Screen: 52-62 (33.7 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Rotom-H: 58-69 (37.6 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
180+ Atk Incineroar Malicious Moonsault vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Rotom-H: 129-153 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H through Light Screen: 68-80 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 SpA Nihilego Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-H through Light Screen: 132-156 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Rotom-H: 122-145 (79.2 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery

Hopefully, this gives you an idea of what we're dealing with here. It can take a large variety of attacks, my favorite being Origin Pulse from 4 SpA Modest Primal Kyogre outside of rain (happens a lot due to its common pairing with Rayquaza), and hit many back opponents with Overheat or Volt Switch. Given its natural positive matchups against common anti-Xerneas measures, like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Crobat, and Tapu Fini + Primal Groudon it makes for a pretty good partner with Xerneas. The moves are pretty straightforward, Overheat is good for sending one strong Fire attack in the opponents' direction, Volt Switch does enough damage to Fini and Kyogre among other common supporters. Light Screen is pretty mandatory here because it cements RotoHeat's ability to tank Moonblasts from Xerneas after a Geomancy. As you can see in the calcs above, it's not able to take 2 unless it's under Light Screen for at least one of those hits. Alternatively, you could use a Sitrus Berry instead to always ensure RotoHeat can take 2 +2 Moonblasts from a boosted neutral-nature Xerneas. Light Screen also helps RotoHeat survive Nihilego a bit better as well. The last move is a bit up in the air. Electroweb serves the same purpose as before, and reduces Speed of both opponents and is super helpful for maintaining momentum even if an opponent switches so long as Electroweb doesn't miss as they switch in (also helpful as this RotoHeat set is, like the previous set, pretty slow). Reflect can work too in the last slot, seeing as though RotoHeat can support Xerneas pretty well, and Xerneas could use the extra physical defense since it cannot boost that with Geomancy. This is the reason why WIll-O-Wisp also can work in this slot, although it cannot burn Primal Groudon, Incineroar, and grounded Pokémon while Misty Terrain is active. Foul Play is nice to score lots of extra damage onto Primal Groudon, Lunala, Mega Rayquaza, Mega Salamence, Ultra Necrozma, and Mega Kangaskhan, but I personally believe it's best if this set stays as close to the role of supporter as possible since it's a good guideline for success with this EV spread. Finally *sigh*, Ally Switch can work better on the Rotom forms I'll be discussing here than on most other Pokémon because it can also Volt Switch pretty reliably if it doesn't want to go for the attack, so it's a bit more flexible.

Like I said already, this Rotom set works pretty well with Xerneas to take on the Steel-types and most common Poison-types with Overheat and Volt Switch. This attribute can also extend to other Fairies like Fini and Lele, as well anything that might need some extra help against Steels like Mega Metagross. It also pairs decently well with Mega Salamence because of its Fairy resistance and because together, they do a pretty good job of defeating both Soaked and non-Soaked Shedinja with Electroweb/Volt Switch and Hyper Voice/Double-Edge.

Before I move into the last set, I'd like to give an honorable mention for a RotoHeat and RotoWash for potential offense sets. However, in order to get my sets to work with Electrium/Waterium/Firium Z, I had to put my bulk investment in speed and power which started cutting into very important defensive calcs. Even after doing that, Rotom got outsped and bodied on several instances, so no matter what set I tried to make offense for these two forms, I always ended up with either one or more of not enough power, not enough bulk, or not enough speed. So, I ditched the idea entirely and have chosen a bulkier build as my last set to best exemplify what Rotom can do as a supporter:

:sm/rotom-wash:

Moves:
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen
- Electroweb/Reflect/Will-O-Wisp/Foul Play/Ally Switch
Item: Wiki Berry/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP, 52 Def, 36 SpA, 164 SpD, 4 Spe

I don't think I need to explain the moves, as they are largely the same as above with the exception of the powerful STAB attack and that Light Screen is mandatory in my opinion. I'm also not going to go over a ton of new calcs either because as you can see, the defensive investment is the same as above. The only difference is that there isn't as big of an emphasis on outspeeding Tapu Fini before it can Scald, so most of the Speed investment from RotoHeat was placed into Special Attack for RotoWash, which also helps it have a slower Volt Switch pivot to keep its switch-in safe. But with Hydro Pump and the Water typing over Fire, it's imperative to show where these changes are relevant:

36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 236 HP / 236+ SpD Incineroar: 104-126 (52 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 140+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar: 78-92 (38.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 292-348 (141 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 85-102 (58.2 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 98-116 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 108-128 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-W in Heavy Rain: 65-77 (41.4 - 49%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-W in Electric Terrain: 135-159 (85.9 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-W: 67-79 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Wiki Berry recovery
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Rotom-W: 81-96 (51.5 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Figy Berry recovery

The standout defensive change for this form over RotoHeat is that it no longer resists Fairy, but instead resists Water. It can also Hydro Pump Groudon with Rayquaza as a partner. The biggest appeal to using RotoWash, however, is to exploit "balance" cores. While it's not a surefire way to do so, Tapu Fini + Incineroar is one of the best the best and only attempts at "balance" in this high-powered metagame. Given that RotoWash can hit both of those super-effectively and still have supportive tools can make it have advantages when facing down meta-standard teams. RotoWash pairs pretty darn well with Rayquaza, as Hydro Pump can hit through Heavy Sun with Air Lock/Delta Stream and Rayquaza appreciates having an effective answer to both Tapu Fini (fears Moonblast) and Incineroar (hindered by Intimidate). RotoWash can also help it set up with Swords Dance by using Light Screen and any of its other options in the last slot. They all have the same functions as before, but Rayquaza really appreciates them all to help it set up with Swords Dance. Together, these two can also hit both Soaked and non-Soaked Shedinja with Volt Switch/Electroweb and Dragon Ascent, respectively. Rayquaza also smacks Amoonguss, which is another usual portion of balance cores. Incineroar is a great additional support as well (when is it not?) and works well with RotoWash to hit the same Water/Fire/Grass balance core. Groudon can also be a decent partner, and while it removes Rotom's ability to Hydro Pump so long as Heavy Sun is up, RotoWash is the only of these three forms that reliably handles Kyogre in Heavy Rain, and so Groudon can switch out if Kyogre switches in, RotoWash can take a hit from Kyogre and then Volt Switch out back into Groudon, resetting Heavy Sun (against RayOgre, you could also Will-O-Wisp the Ray and then Volt Switch out).

Bad Matchups
Gravity + Groudon. Worst Matchup since RotoHeat has a 4x weakness to Ground after Gravity happens, RotoWash only has a 2x weakness but can't threaten back with any damage if Heavy Sun isn't negated, and RotoMow, while not having a weakness to Ground, still sucks against Fire moves. This means RotoMow still dies to Groudon with or without Gravity up. RotoMow can't do anything to Togedemaru, since its STABs are resisted or redirected, but it can still inflict a burn if it has WIll-O-Wisp. RotoMow also is weak to U-Turn, which is not a great attribute on an already niche Pokémon. RotoHeat is slower than most Kyogre forms, so it runs into two scenarios against it where it cannot Volt Switch out and likely gets KO'd before it can do anything significant: if Kyogre is at close to full health and/or Primordial Sea is active, RotoHeat loses as it can only survive one of Kyogre's Water attacks if it's not a high-powered Water Spout AND Heavy Rain has been negated. This can make RotoHeat rather high-maintainence for many teams to get much use out of it. While RotoWash isn't weak type-wise to any strong attacks in this format as long as it keeps Levitate, it also doesn't resist a ton either. As you can see by its defensive calcs, it requires a lot to take Z-Moves from Lunala and Incineroar for this reason. This is also the reason it can get worn down pretty fast, despite its good bulk and holding a 50% berry. All three forms have a bad time against Lunala as well if they lack Foul Play, although Heat and Wash have the bulk in their sets to take its Z-Move and then Volt Switch out. While RotoHeat can take Xerneas's Moonblasts after a Geomancy, none of the three forms can threaten significant damage in return.

Conclusion
Hey everyone! I understand this article is a bit late yet again, but it's here and I hope you enjoyed it! If so, please be sure to leave a like and share it! Also, if you've got Ultra Series teams you're willing to share that feature any of these forms, please link them below! Tell me what you think of Rotom and if I left anything out! Be sure to check out the articles from this Spooky Month!

Week 5: Umbreon - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-2019-ultra-series-potw-analysis-umbreon.3655320/

In the spirit of October, I decided to get your choices for next week from the Ultra Spooky Cup WiFi tournament list! After digging through the allowed Pokémon list, I actually found some I think might catch your eyes a bit more than those from previous polls, so I'm starting fresh on the poll! For next week, you can choose between these four Pokémon!

1. Aerodactyl
2. Crobat
3. Mimikyu
4. Salazzle

That's all I have for now, see you guys later!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)