Tournament CAP Metagame Forum Tournament Queue and Tournament Approval Thread

yo majority.

I like the idea but have a couple of issues with how you presented your post. I noticed you just copied and pasted the Smogon Tour OP without adapting it to the CAP metagame in a substantial way. Please put some time and effort into your proposal, and if you plan to base any post off the work of someone else's (in this case the OP you ripped from), you must credit them in some way.

Onto the content criticisms:

First off, I need an actual date for when the tour would be starting and dates for your sign up threads. This is to prove you're not only committed to hosting the tour but that you've planned it out accordingly.

Secondly, it would be far easier to host the tours in the CAP PS room instead of smogtours so that myself and the CAP room mods can manage the live tour aspect of this. This would be preferable as it would help bolster activity in the CAP room, and is easier to coordinate on our end. Also, this is another reason why I will need a concrete schedule beforehand.

Third, only forum mods, in this case the CAP forum mods, have the authority to infract and ban people. Please remove the part that threatens infractions or bans as those actions will be made at the discretion of CAP moderators and not an arbitrary rule in a tour.

Also, this is just my opinion, but I think the name should just be CAP Live Tour since this tournament was not coordinated by CAP mods or eligible for the CAP Hall of Fame. Depending on how the tour turns out we can talk about making this tour a fixture in the CAP tour scene, but until then I'd leave out "Official" from the title.

If you're still willing to host this tour, please rectify the issues I pointed out above and post the updated proposal here.
ok, got it fixed. tag: cbrevan

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
majority, after discussing your proposal with other CAP metagame mods, we decided to deny it for several reasons. First, a tournament of this size and complecity largely relies on the host to run smoothly. Before we can approve something like this we would need you to have some experience with hosting tours. Secondly, CAPTT is right around the corner and we felt that it would be best if this tour did not directly compete with it, especially in respects to team usage. Lastly, you still did not give a concrete start time in your post. With all of these reasons considered, I suggest you try hosting less intenstive tours first to demonstrate hosting ability before coming back to this.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Tournament Name: CAP Crazy Roulette

Tournament Host(s): Myself

Tournament Time Frame: 1 Week for Sign-ups, and sign-ups / thread will open about 2-3 days after the tournaments approval. Once signups close, each round will last for a week each excluding possible extensions. Whole tournament should be about a month and no longer than two. If you think this will conflict with CAPTT / CAP 26 I am willing to change date for a less chaotic time.

Hosting Experience: Hosted previous CAP Roulette and am active CAP member and driver in Showdown Room, otherwise my hosting experience is lacking, but willing to get more experience.

Tournament Description: Mostly similar to previous CAP Crazy Roulette, a pool of the top 30 mons based on high usage are selected and a set of randomly chosen ones are eliminated each round, with new ones added to the next round pool to replace them and previously selected ones not applicable in further rounds of selection. This time will have 5 mons selected instead of the previous 3 due to more present mons and for greater diversity. If CAP 26 finishes and is added during tournament it will not be added to pool and is free to use for any team.

Tournament Style: Standard Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP Banlist
Tournament Justification: A more relaxed and fun tour to better encourage interesting team building away from established good mons, as well as an experiment to what happens when certain prominent Pokemon are removed from the battle. Mostly on the fun side to offer an alternative to the highly competitive tours that are tend to be seen like Seasonal and OCT.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tournament Name: CAP NFE Tournament -

Tournament Host(s):
Me

Tournament Time Frame: roughly a month.

Host experience: Couple offshoot CAP Tours here and there.

Tournament Description: The first CAP NFE Forum Tour

Tournament Style: Standard Single Elimination Tournament.
Tournament Banlist: Standard NFE banlist
Tournament Justification:
NFE has recently launched onto the scene, and several CAP players have been hopping on to it. But CAP has some exciting NFEs of its own that are just waiting to be used!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: CAP Crazy Roulette

Tournament Time Frame: 1 Week for Sign-ups, and sign-ups / thread will open about 2-3 days after the tournaments approval. Once signups close, each round will last for a week each excluding possible extensions. Whole tournament should be about a month and no longer than two. If you think this will conflict with CAPTT / CAP 26 I am willing to change date for a less chaotic time.

Hosting Experience: Hosted previous CAP Roulette and am active CAP member and driver in Showdown Room, otherwise my hosting experience is lacking, but willing to get more experience.

Tournament Description: Mostly similar to previous CAP Crazy Roulette, a pool of the top 30 mons based on high usage are selected and a set of randomly chosen ones are eliminated each round, with new ones added to the next round pool to replace them and previously selected ones not applicable in further rounds of selection. This time will have 5 mons selected instead of the previous 3 due to more present mons and for greater diversity. If CAP 26 finishes and is added during tournament it will not be added to pool and is free to use for any team.

Tournament Style: Standard Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP Banlist
Tournament Justification: A more relaxed and fun tour to better encourage interesting team building away from established good mons, as well as an experiment to what happens when certain prominent Pokemon are removed from the battle. Mostly on the fun side to offer an alternative to the highly competitive tours that are tend to be seen like Seasonal and OCT.
This is approved if you're still willing to host it LucarioOfLegends. Sorry for the delay; with CAPTT winding down, this is a great time for this tour.

Tournament Name: CAP NFE Tournament -

Tournament Host(s):
Me

Tournament Time Frame: roughly a month.

Host experience: Couple offshoot CAP Tours here and there.

Tournament Description: The first CAP NFE Forum Tour

Tournament Style: Standard Single Elimination Tournament.
Tournament Banlist: Standard NFE banlist
Tournament Justification:
NFE has recently launched onto the scene, and several CAP players have been hopping on to it. But CAP has some exciting NFEs of its own that are just waiting to be used!
This is also approved G-Luke. Long live Electrelk and Privatyke.

Tournament Name: Autumn Seasonals

Tournament Hosts: Myself

Tournament Time Frame: 1-2 months

Host Experience: None so far, although I'm planning on hosting CAP Autumn seasonals.

Description: It has been a while since the last one of these, I'd like to continue this series of tournaments. Just like before, this tournament determines who qualifies for the next Champions Cup.

Style: Single Elimination Bo3

Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset

Tournament Justification: "Give a competition much like Smogtours to help newer players get noticed when it comes around to CAPTT or whatever else we have. Also helps to get some quality replays, high level matches, and metagame development."

If anyone is interested in helping me to co-host this, feel free to send me a PM on Discord, PS, or here.

Tournament Name: Autumn Seasonals

Tournament Hosts: Myself

Tournament Time Frame: 1-2 months

Host Experience: None so far, although I'm planning on hosting CAP Autumn seasonals.

Description: It has been a while since the last one of these, I'd like to continue this series of tournaments. Just like before, this tournament determines who qualifies for the next Champions Cup.

Style: Single Elimination Bo3

Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset

Tournament Justification: "Give a competition much like Smogtours to help newer players get noticed when it comes around to CAPTT or whatever else we have. Also helps to get some quality replays, high level matches, and metagame development."

If anyone is interested in helping me to co-host this, feel free to send me a PM on Discord, PS, or here.
Cbro and snake are both out for a bit so im gonna go ahead and approve this on their behalf. Lets get it started before SwSh!

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tournament Name: Sword and Shield Holiday Bash

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups will go up Monday and the tour will start the following Monday. Rounds will be done at week long intervals.

Host experience: I've hosted multiple CAP tours throughout the years and I've had a major role in planning all our CAPTTs.

Tournament Description: Nothing fancy, just a regular Bo3 single elimination to end this year on a good note. It's a bit late for a proper welcome tour, so instead let's celebrate the holiday season!

Tournament Style: Single Elimination Bo3 with mandatory replays
Tournament Banlist: Current OU banlist + all relevant CAP clauses. This includes the result of the Dynamax suspect. Unreleased mons are banned despite being available on PS! because I'm not a pushover. CAP Mons will use whatever moves are available to them, meaning that if updates are finished and implemented before this tour is done, those changes will be allowed for use from that point on. This also extends to any changes Necturna may suffer to its Sketch mechanic.
Tournament Justification: I'd like to have a tour running alongside updates to encourage people to play the game instead of just waiting for updates to finish. We also have not had a proper Gen 8 tour yet, and I'd like to change that to really get the metagame going.

Last edited:
Tournament Name: Dugtrio Free CAP Tournament.

Tournament Host(s): Me.

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups would go up tomorrow and the tour will start one week after that, each round lasting a week.

Host experience: I've hosted the finals of the Equilibra Playtest and the last seasonals of the SM era.

Tournament Description: Nothing too formal, just a simple SWSH tournament to encourage metagame development.

Tournament Style: Single Elimination Bo3 with mandatory replays.

Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP banlist.

Tournament Justification: With Arena Trap now banned and Home still fresh, I think a forum tournament would be a great way to encourage some needed innovation in the current CAP metagame.

Tournament Name: Super Special CAP Tournament.

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups would go up tomorrow and the tour will start one week after that, each round lasting a week.

Host experience: Don't have any :puff:

Tournament Description: Standard SWSH CAP tournament.

Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP banlist.

Tournament Justification: Feel there aren't enough opportunities to play high level CAP currently so having a tournament is a good way to fix that!!

Tournament Name: National Dex CAP Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups would go up pretty soon this week or next or something to keep the tournament train rolling

Host experience: Hosted a few Tournaments in here and over in the NatDex sub

Tournament Description: National Dex - but with CAPs

Tournament Banlist: Standard National Dex ban list, but with CAPs allowed

Tournament Justification: An opportunity to explore what the new generational changes would be like in a National Dex environment for CAP, as well as opportunities to revisit old staples that maybe aren't as good in SWSH or even available (MEGA CRUCI). Also, it's fun.

Tournament Name: USUM CAP Tournament

Tournament Host: Me.

Tournament Time Frame: Signups would go up as soon as possible and remain open for a week. After that each round should take a week

Host experience: I've hosted the last USM seasonals and recently hosted the Dugtrio Free SS Tour.

Tournament Description: Standard Gen 7 CAP rules.

Tournament Banlist: Standard Gen 7 CAP banlist.

Tournament Justification: Given that CAPTT is just a few months away, I think people should have the chance to practice some past generations a bit before.

Tournament Name: SS CAP Ghosting Tournament

Tournament Host: Me.

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will take one week, as will each round.

Host experience: Not much, hosted a tour twice here and once for OU, though I dropped the latter and the former died because of a lack of interest.

Tournament Description: A simple SS CAP tournament with teams of up to three players playing against eachother.

Tournament Style: Single Elimination Bo3 with mandatory replays. Preferably logs of the ghosting im some form too, as they're enjoyably to read / listen to.

Tournament Banlist: Standard SS CAP banlist.

Tournament Justification: This'd be a fun opportunity for people to play CAP with their friends.

Just a quick update; we would like all Tournament hosts to use Smogon's bracket maker for tournaments they host going forward. It lets us make even brackets very easily, so we can avoid the 3 person finals we're prone to, as well as saves the brackets on site so there is no way of fixing them, allowing the host to participate in the tournament as well without bias.

The link to the bracket maker, as well as a guide on how to use it, can be found here. If you are unbadged, you won't have access to the bracket maker, but that doesn't mean you can't host, just ask one of us, or a badged friend, to input the participants and post as normal!

Tol

Retirement house
Tournament Name: CAP 1v1 Tournament

Tournament Host(s): Tol , stableprince569

Tournament Time Frame: To be honest with you, it depends on the number of signups. Signups will go up ASAP, with r1 going up 5 days after that and subsequent rounds going up every 7 days.

Host experience: I have hosted a few unofficial 1v1 tournaments on Discord. My co-host Stable has hosted many 1v1 tournaments on Smogon, including the BW 1v1 Cup, the 1v1 Seeded Tournament, and the CAP 1v1 Startup. I know badged people that can run the bracket maker.

Tournament Description: Provide a general description for your tournament that includes:

Tournament Style: It will be double elimination to allow for the maximum number of games played to advance the metagame.
Tournament Banlist: Only CAP, CAP NFE, and CAP LC Pokemon are allowed. Standard SwSh 1v1 rules apply. Note: it will NOT be randomized. For more information on the rulesets and the meta, I refer you to here.
Tournament Justification: I hope to generate hype and to grow our playerbase in preparation for CAP TT, which I feel that CAP 1v1 has a shot at getting into. As it has been the topic of some discussion in that thread and a randomized ladder went up fairly recently, I think that people will be interested.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: CAP 1v1 Tournament

Tournament Host(s): Tol , stableprince569

Tournament Time Frame: To be honest with you, it depends on the number of signups. Signups will go up ASAP, with r1 going up 5 days after that and subsequent rounds going up every 7 days.

Host experience: I have hosted a few unofficial 1v1 tournaments on Discord. My co-host Stable has hosted many 1v1 tournaments on Smogon, including the BW 1v1 Cup, the 1v1 Seeded Tournament, and the CAP 1v1 Startup. I know badged people that can run the bracket maker.

Tournament Description: Provide a general description for your tournament that includes:

Tournament Style: It will be double elimination to allow for the maximum number of games played to advance the metagame.
Tournament Banlist: Only CAP, CAP NFE, and CAP LC Pokemon are allowed. Standard SwSh 1v1 rules apply. Note: it will NOT be randomized. For more information on the rulesets and the meta, I refer you to here.
Tournament Justification: I hope to generate hype and to grow our playerbase in preparation for CAP TT, which I feel that CAP 1v1 has a shot at getting into. As it has been the topic of some discussion in that thread and a randomized ladder went up fairly recently, I think that people will be interested.
So this is a concern we're having: If this tournament is deviating from the randomized CAP 1v1 format implemented on PS!, why aren't the rules "1v1 with CAPs allowed," in the same way that the CAP Metagame is "OU with CAPs allowed?"

Tol

Retirement house
So this is a concern we're having: If this tournament is deviating from the randomized CAP 1v1 format implemented on PS!, why aren't the rules "1v1 with CAPs allowed," in the same way that the CAP Metagame is "OU with CAPs allowed?"
to keep it consistent with the randomized format while, yknow, being competitive

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
How about making the switch to CAP + 1v1 instead of an all caps metagame? Randomized CAP 1v1 doesn't allow prevos so you're already deviating from that banlist, so why not make the total switch to a more open metagame? That way, people have more to experiment with and 1v1 players don't have to learn 28 new mons and their prevos just to participate.

Tol

Retirement house
How about making the switch to CAP + 1v1 instead of an all caps metagame? Randomized CAP 1v1 doesn't allow prevos so you're already deviating from that banlist, so why not make the total switch to a more open metagame? That way, people have more to experiment with and 1v1 players don't have to learn 28 new mons and their prevos just to participate.
A major reason in why I did not allow for the use of 1v1 mons is because basically for its entire existence, cap 1v1 as a 1v1 OM was 1v1 + CAP. You know how many people built new teams for that meta instead of just bringing random ladder shit? I could count them on the fingers of one hand if I had gotten frostbite and half my fingers had fallen off. By doing it this way, I hoped to encourage people to think about the metagame instead of just mindlessly bringing their normal teams, since cap 1v1 unlike, say, AG 1v1 doesn’t punish you for not using a CAPmon as none of them are super duper broken, even in the context of the powered-down swsh 1v1. I also thought that by remaining consistent with the randomized banlist (correct me if I’m wrong here but nfe and lc CAPmons are only not allowed to keep from having to make sets for all of them, as only like 2 are actually usable, which isn’t a problem in nonrandomized cap 1v1 as people don’t build with ass mons) it could encourage ppl in the CAP and 1v1 rooms who played that format to build teams for it. And guess what? 1v1 players do play it! We had a startup tour recently with many entrants, room tours consistently bring in 15 to 20 users (as opposed to the 4 I can get in the CAP room), and I guarantee you that more 1v1 players will sign up for this tour than CAP players (largely because the CAP community either doesn’t care or is dead). So far, only 1 person that I know of has come from CAP to cap 1v1, as opposed to the entire rest of our community being from 1v1. This tournament aims to change that, but even with that goal in mind the signups from 1v1 players will still come in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)