Full-Time Pokemon Player

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'll try to address your point seriously rather than mocking it like some of the other posters in this thread (Smogon people seem to love a good mock).

Anyway, I don't particularly agree with a couple of things you have decided to do. First off, I do not think you need to dedicate yourself full-time to achieve anything within this game. Unlike actual eSports (god, I despise this term so much), Pokémon does not require as much raw time to get better and hone your craft or even close to as much dedication as some of the more prominent online games do, and that is because the game itself isn't as complex. The skills that one applies to succeed at this game are, in general terms, probability manipulation and experience within the game itself, and by dedicating 40-50 hours per week, you won't really achieve any more success than you would if you were seriously putting in 10, which you can quite comfortably do while still having a job and going to college (I say that from experience). The way you get better at this game is by just playing it over time and acquiring a better grasp on it's nuances, so even if you do gain something from playing it full-time, it will be marginal and won't be even close to being worth your time. You can and probably will be a solid enough player if you just employ some patience and actively try to get better over a longer period of time.

As for my second point, I think that lying to your parents about what you have decided is incredibly irresponsible. They still support you financially and you should at least have the decency to communicate with them about any major endeavours you decide to undertake, especially if they are as wild as this. Moreover, I do think you should talk to them for moral support too, maybe they can show you alternatives or give you better advice on how to approach your situation, it's not always a binary question of going for all of it or nothing, maybe they can show you a way in which you can satiate your desire to become a "Pokémon master" (lol) while still living a "normal" life. Trust me, parents know a hell of a lot. I just hope you don't leave them in the dark about this, because it will be terrible for you and for them too.

I hope this helped and good luck with whatever you decide to do, just please don't become a "full-time mons player" simply because it seems like the most comfortable option.

Last edited:
Came because of NJNP's video and was genuinely concerned. To be blunt, your ELO isn't going to be paying the bills and putting food in your stomach. I know that everyone goes through life at their own pace, but when you're rapidly approaching your 30s, you should at the very least have a solid plan in getting your shit together. Playing competitive Pokémon should be the last thing on your mind, let alone doing it full-time for a whole year. Having a passion is important in life, but when it comes to making a living, it's time to face reality and realize that opportunity and responsibility should always take precedence.

Plus of all the things to devote an entire year of your life to doing, why Pokémon of all things? I would think a young guy who took a gap year for some soul-searching would spend that time on new experiences like traveling, taking up new hobbies, doing volunteer work, or even just working a couple jobs to save up more money. Something other than sitting in your room laddering on Showdown. You don't like the official VGC-style formats, the only real relevant tournies anybody gives a shit about in real life, so I'm honestly wondering what type of fulfillment you expect to get out of this. Pokémon doesn't require nearly as much time and effort as you're proposing here, and quite honestly, doesn't deserve it either.

No offense, but I think there's bigger issues going on behind the scenes with you that you're not really telling us, because this isn't something most people just decide to do with their life out of the blue. You're a grown-man, so I can't force you to do anything, but I sincerely hope you seek some help and guidance, be it from family, friend or a therapist. The feelings you have about your life's purpose is pretty normal, but you should definitely have a long introspection about this before doing something this drastic.

Last edited:
watched part of his video and man

like i'm into crypto too, but do not depend on that shit for your living. I put a piece of each paycheck in every 2 weeks and I think even that is a little risky.

trust dude you will be soo much happier if you get a job. it doesn't even matter what for you rn but make money at the very least if you're doing nothing else productive irl.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'd honestly keep away from mocking the guy, I feel that it just becomes encouragement so that they can "prove the haters wrong" or w/e.

If you actually follow through on this be prepared to remember this 10 years down the road as the most personally embarrassing decision of your life, couldn't possibly see anyone looking back on a year of playing 'mons for a living and thinking "time well spent".

Last edited:

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
????

Everyone is talking about how this is a bad idea because of productivity, financial, or moral issues. No one is talking about how this is a terrible idea because of this game being objectively horseshit.

If you want to fully dedicate yourself to a game, I'd recommend finding one you enjoy that is actually half-decent.

Best of luck though!

bro but no one on smog is in the 1%. If anyone here were in the 1% they'd have spent their childhood fucking bitches on yachts in ibiza every weekend, not playing a silly gameboy game.

however, OP if you are in the 1%, i say fuck it. your parents don't pay taxes and consciously increase their own salaries while ignoring wages altogether. take as much as you can from them. suck them dry.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i'm all for doing what you love, but it's REALLY hard. you need to build an audience, keep that audience and do what you can to grow it. that all might sound easy but to be in a position where you can actually start paying your bills definitely takes time. this isn't long lasting either. if you are serious work hard and even then you need a lucky break or two to get anywhere. i wouldn't limit yourself to just smogon pokes either. invest as well, do research on stocks and stuff. man even then YouTube isn't forever, stream on twitch too which probably has a longer life span than youtube at this point. even 50-60 hours a week on pokemon sounds like a ton and this comes from a dude who does around 30+ hours a week of mons. idk man for me i never started mons with the idea of living off of it, even now I do what i can so I CAN live off of it but I have other plans and businesses/investments i'm always working on cause like i said this isn't forever. not tryna deter you from this though. do what you love, that's the best thing in life, I feel. I worked odd jobs since I was 16 til YouTube eventually made enough that I didn't have to do something next to it like working in an office or in a store or restaurant etc. Just don't expect anything but love what you do. best of luck man.

i'm all for doing what you love, but it's REALLY hard. you need to build an audience, keep that audience and do what you can to grow it. that all might sound easy but to be in a position where you can actually start paying your bills definitely takes time. this isn't long lasting either. if you are serious work hard and even then you need a lucky break or two to get anywhere. i wouldn't limit yourself to just smogon pokes either. invest as well, do research on stocks and stuff. man even then YouTube isn't forever, stream on twitch too which probably has a longer life span than youtube at this point. even 50-60 hours a week on pokemon sounds like a ton and this comes from a dude who does around 30+ hours a week of mons. idk man for me i never started mons with the idea of living off of it, even now I do what i can so I CAN live off of it but I have other plans and businesses/investments i'm always working on cause like i said this isn't forever. not tryna deter you from this though. do what you love, that's the best thing in life, I feel. I worked odd jobs since I was 16 til YouTube eventually made enough that I didn't have to do something next to it like working in an office or in a store or restaurant etc. Just don't expect anything but love what you do. best of luck man.
^ there dont judge ppl

Reactions: v

Garou

Banned deucer.
I'm glad to see such a bright spark amongst this sea of garbage who truly holds the dedication and passion needed for this work of art, this game of life and death. I am sure with this level of dedication you will raise yourself to a higher plane of not just pokemon playing, but, to a higher plane of existence. All the pokemon players on this site will bow down before you and kiss your feet. Amen Skeptics o father of pokemon, amen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)