Resource VGC 18 Rules announced

It's probable we'll see VGC'15 on steroids (hey I guess I'm relevant again lul) so consider that, given the formula Gamefreak ALWAYS pulls out since gen 5 we'll see the weaker legendaries combined with the Tapus, which is pretty much the current BSD metagame atm.

Now, while it is unhealthy to speculate this early, I'm pretty afraid of what Alola's tutors could give us. There are plenty of Alolan Pokemon whose moveset is pretty lackluster and that's the only thing holding them back (like Silvally), so thoughts like Tapu Fini or Celesteela getting Tailwind and, what is even worse, High Horsepower becoming a move tutor scare me a lot of what this metagame could become.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
"Mythical Pokémon, some Legendary Pokémon, and Ash-Greninja are not allowed"

this is it. this is the doubles meta without Lando-T. I can't imagine them doing something similar to Mirage Spot / Hoopa Holes or whatever they're called and including every legendary. I mean the only legendaries available could very well be the Tapus and UBs, which means that this meta without Lando / Cres / Tran / Zapdos would be vastly different to BSD (which kinda sucks because I've been trying to get good at BSD in an attempt to prep for this).
Has official wording ever given the zapdos/suicune/heatran/genies/etc "group" an official name? As far as I can remember, they've never really made a distinction between them and regular breedable pokemon. "Legendary" is reserved for the sort of things that we'd call ubers.

I just hope the starters with HA are released. I'm willingly waiting for Intimidate Incineroar to dethrone Arcanine.
I'm still wondering myself how we'll obtain those. Potentially just a reward from pokebank in December?

As for Tutors, I don't think High Horsepower could become a Tutored move, but Stomping Tantrum, on the other hand... It's significantly weaker, but could still be pretty interesting as single target Ground type move, expecially as far as doubles go where Earthquake has a lot of issues forcing you to run dedicated comps.

Has official wording ever given the zapdos/suicune/heatran/genies/etc "group" an official name? As far as I can remember, they've never really made a distinction between them and regular breedable pokemon. "Legendary" is reserved for the sort of things that we'd call ubers.
Yeah. They are all legendaries. Officially.

The game data does distinguish between the types of legendaries, but they're not named. Serebii uses the term "sub-legendary" to define the first group (mostly those with a base stat total of 600 or below), which I personally quite like. The 'cover legendaries' have been called "Restricted Pokemon" by the official ruleset in the past, so I suppose you could define the rest as 'Unrestricted Legendaries'? It seems up to the playerbase to put a term into general use before we can make the distinction succinctly and be commonly understood.

The level 50 rule, combined with the Move Tutor actually able to teach even moves learned at later levels, was strictly implemented in order to save players the hassle of needing to level everything to 100, in games that overally make it very very long and frustrating (expecially S/M, we all know how stupidly painful it is to get to 100 to hypertrain without using glitches or cheat devices)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The level 50 rule, combined with the Move Tutor actually able to teach even moves learned at later levels, was strictly implemented in order to save players the hassle of needing to level everything to 100, in games that overally make it very very long and frustrating (expecially S/M, we all know how stupidly painful it is to get to 100 to hypertrain without using glitches or cheat devices)
Here's hoping they change the requirement for hyper training then. I get that it was added to fix bad shinies and to stop people soft resetting for hours, but it's completely pointless if you then have to sit and grind against the E4 for ages just so you can even use it.

Here's hoping they change the requirement for hyper training then. I get that it was added to fix bad shinies and to stop people soft resetting for hours, but it's completely pointless if you then have to sit and grind against the E4 for ages just so you can even use it.
Still quite a bit quicker than Soft Resetting for a 5IV legendary with a specific nature, much less a specific Hidden Power. Also Pelego and rare kitchens are around for leveling too.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Still quite a bit quicker than Soft Resetting for a 5IV legendary with a specific nature, much less a specific Hidden Power. Also Pelego and rare kitchens are around for leveling too.
Pelago takes ages to level anything up to 100, and rare kitchens take a lot of festival plaza grinding to even get them in the first place.

I hope USUM bring another system for getting easy XP, like we had in the past through café le wow or blissey bases.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Pelago takes ages to level anything up to 100, and rare kitchens take a lot of festival plaza grinding to even get them in the first place.

I hope USUM bring another system for getting easy XP, like we had in the past through café le wow or blissey bases.
I think they did say in an interview that it would be easier to train and get exp so you're in luck.

Anyways, this year is looking to suck if lando t is back. It's honestly legit cancer and makes everything stale af. And I thought this might be the year where I actually play :'(

Throw Pokes into Pelego overnight or while at work/school. Or when breeding/other stuff. The fact that it is automatic helps a little.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyways, this year is looking to suck if lando t is back. It's honestly legit cancer and makes everything stale af. And I thought this might be the year where I actually play :'(
I'm getting the idea that they might do something akin to OR/AS, where you can catch the non-mythical legendaries post-game. Given that this will be the last 3DS game, and Mewtwo's been confirmed, I feel they might release all the previous gen non-mythicals, including Landorus.

Unpopular opinion: I like Lando-T and I would really like to use it again in VGC 18.
That said, I saw the document and there was no reason to make me think that genies, birds, dogs and whatever else would be excluded from the format. "Legendary", when referred to a VGC format, usually indicates the cover legendaries.Thus, is difficult imo to think that this would not be a VGC 15 on steroids. The idea actually is very fun for me.
So... Lol :'D

Unpopular opinion: I like Lando-T and I would really like to use it again in VGC 18.
That said, I saw the document and there was no reason to make me think that genies, birds, dogs and whatever else would be excluded from the format. "Legendary", when referred to a VGC format, usually indicates the cover legendaries.
Yeah, I don't get why there's a debate. Cover legends, and events (which are referred to as "Mythical" now) are the only ones that are ever banned, outside of special years like 2016 where the cover legends were allowed. Sure, the wording in the rules is different than usual, but they'd be more specific about a drastic change.
Also, I think there are some people that just want something to talk about even thought the '18 rules aren't relevant yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)