Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Cool team you've got there, Ewgross! I think you've got a pretty decent Doubles setup here, as the mons themselves are strong choices, but I do have a few suggestions regarding the sets if you don't mind.

Mega Metagross:- Zen Headbutt is a powerful STAB move that does complement Iron Head, but the accuracy means you'll eventually miss at a crucial moment, putting your streak in jeopardy. For this reason I'd scrap it in favour of Thunder Punch, since opposing Gyarados could potentially cause problems. Protect's obviously a great move, but I also wouldn't rule out Bullet Punch as an emergency response to faster threats; it's decently powerful thanks to Tough Claws, but may require some trial and error as to which move would suit your team better.

Hitmontop:- Stone Miss is an awful move for the Maison, especially coming off Hitmontop's average Attack stat and not being STAB. Between Metagross and Intimidate-shuffling, Flying types shouldn't be a huge issue, and crits are beyond your control anyway. Hitmontop has great utility options for Doubles, so for the last slot I'd highly recommend Helping Hand; priority is what makes the move so reliable, and all 3 of your teammates can benefit from it. One more thing, what does a Careful nature do for you exactly with that EV spread? Sitrus Berry is a fine choice, but I think you'd be better served by Adamant to boost Close Combat's power.

Hydreigon:- Modest Life Orb is commonly seen in Triples play with Tailwind support (which you don't have), so I reckon a Choice Scarf would offer greater synergy with your team; with your existing EV spread it'll hit 225 Speed, outspeeding Accelgor4 & Darmanitan4 while tieing with Pinsir4. Draco Meteor's 130 Base Power is appealing, but again, the imperfect accuracy is less than ideal. I'd suggest swapping it for Dragon Pulse, Earth Power's good, then either Flamethrower or Surf in the last slot.

Gyarados:- Choice Scarf is certainly an interesting choice, but imo it's not too flash. A Dragon Dance set with Lum Berry might be the way to go, patching up Gyarados's mediocre Speed while simultaneously boosting its already impressive Attack. Waterfall for mandatory STAB, coverage-wise I'd actually suggest Earthquake; as far as I'm aware Wide Guard also protects against spread moves coming from your side of the field, meaning you can EQ/Surf without fear of damaging Hitmontop. Ice Fang sucks (to put it bluntly), Iron Head's pretty redundant since you've got MegaGross for Fairies, meaning you've got a free slot for Protect/Substitute. Return isn't a bad option either as Water/Normal coverage is pretty nice. I don't know what the optimal EV spread is for Adamant DD, but I'm sure you could find out on the first page somewhere. Best of luck!

Currently have an ongoing streak of around 180 (forgot the exact number) by using Mega Kangaskhan, Suicune, and Dragonite. This team has always been my favorite to use, most of the battles I can finish with just Dragonite and Kangaskhan. I had a really close call in one battle where it was down to Kangaskhan and Virizion, where she barely survived a Sacred Sword, then KO'd Virizion (if it was a crit, my streak would've been done then and there). Also have been pretty fortunate as I haven't run into Walrein4 yet and I only went against Volcarona once (and it wasn't Volcarona4, the one that's a huge threat).

I'll follow up with more details when the streak ends.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-204#post-7042272

Thanks for the feed back. You have some really good points.

For Hitmontop, I was wrong. It already has an Adamant nature. I thought I had given it careful to add a little extra SpD to make it more of a mixed wall when combined with intimidate. You're correct about Wide Guard protecting from friendly attacks, which is good to know and opens options for other moves. Stone Edge was a filler move and has worked to cover Metagross's fire weakness, but I agree the unreliability makes me worry every time I use it, to the point where i currently plan on it missing. So the 4th slot is fluid. I will try helping hand and see how it goes, if that isn't working I might breed for Mach Punch. Other options are Return, Protect, Endeavor (lthough I dont think that will work well with the below speed, and I've even considered thief, but too many opponents run borderline useless items.

For Metagross, I think you're right, Zen Headbutt is great, but 90% will miss eventually. Thunderpunch is a good replacement, might try return to for a bit more powerful neutral coverage attack. I rely too much on protect to scrap it for now, although I agree bullet punch would be helpful.

I really like the idea of scarfed Hydreigon. Draco is good as a kill anything button, and with the amount of switching this team enjoys with Intimidate stalling (also why the choice items aren't much of a problem) the SpA drop was pretty irrelevant, but Dragon Pulse should have plenty of power for the new revenge kill. Adding in flamethrower will give it fantastic coverage. It also allows me to open up Gyarados set, but I may need to switch Gyarados nature to Jolly for that?

I may be back to square one with Gyarados, but I wasn't too fond of its previous role was just an awful patchwork to try and shore up my fire weakness while acting as a revenge killer. In doubles I have found that boosting moves are simply too slow and with this teams love of switching around. Waterfall is a given. I like Iron Head, otherwise I get ruined by a late fairy type. Maybe Return or EQ for coverage with Protect? Slap a Muscle Band on it, I'm not to fond of doubling down on choice items. Eject Button? Life Orb?

The best would be to end each fight as fast as quickly as possible (by hitting both oppoentns at the same time with attacks like Earthquake, Rock Slide, Surf etc...) but the most important is not to lose any Pokemon, so I'm opened to any suggestion as long as it's solid.
Yeah, that's what I understood. What would be her set? Power-Up Punch first, but then? Earthquake looks like a good option since it hits both opponents, but this would also hit hard Greninja... I would have to switch him with another Pokemon immuned to the Ground type. Return is really powerful but only hits one opponent and I don't know if Sucker Punch is good for Doubles, but it only hits one opponent too :/

If you're looking to end battles as quickly as possible Mega Charizard Y with Heatwave, absolutely smokes opponents. I have had many doubles battles in the Maison that have been over by turn two. Paired with Greninja or another support pokemon like Hitmontop to help keep him healthy. Or if speed is your goal you could throw in another sweeper that can deal with opponents that resist fire.

What is a good 3rd mon to synergize with this singles team?
Durant
Choice Scarf
Jolly | Truant
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 220 HP / 64 Def / 228 Spe
Entrainment / X-Scissor / Confide / Protect

Cloyster
Focus Sash
Naughty | Skill Link
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk / 94 SpAtk / 164 Spe
Shell Smash / Icicle Spear / Surf / Protect

Thinking maybe mega t-tar (d-dance, protect, dark pulse/earthquake, /rock slide/stone edge/ pursuit )
Ivs: hex flawless
Adamant nature (need nature suggestions, not sure about adamant)
Need ev suggestions

So I need suggestions on Pokémon species, if t-tar is a good option I'm not sure about nature/evs/moveset

Run ended at 267 with this team:

Gengar@Focus Sash
Timid
31/xx/31/31/31/31
252sp.att/252spe/4 hp
~T-bolt
~Sludge Bomb
~Shadow Ball
~Protect

Thudurus-T@ Sitrus Berry
Timid
31/0/30/31/31/31
252sp.att/252spe/4 hp
~T-bolt
~HP Ice
~Taunt
~T-wave

Moltres@Wide Lens
Modest
31/xx/31/31/31/31
252sp.att/252spe/4 something
~Tailwind
~Air Slash
~Heatwave
~Protect

Back up:
Greninja@Life Orb
Naive
31/31/31/31/31/31
252sp.att/252spe/4 att
~Mat Block
~Ice Beam
~Dark Pulse
~Grass Knot

Landorus-T@Assault Vest
Adamant
31/31/31/xx/31/31
252 att/252spe/4 something (probably hp)
~EQ
~Rock Slide
~Knock off
~Superpower

Kanghaskan@kangesite
Adamant
252 att/252 Spe/4 Sp.def
~Fake Out
~Double Edge
~Drain Punch
~Sucker Punch

Sorry to type it out, don't know how to do the hide tag thing. Can someone teach me and ill gladly hide it.

Here's the loss: DFNW - WWWW - WW53 - X8D3

Easy win, made some dumb choices. Took everyone out but Spiritomb, was left with a burned lando and khangaskhan who can't touch spiritomb outside sucker punch. I feel stupid cause this team is solid. Could easily have hit 500+

I rarely ever went down to my last 2 and last one I think happened twice in the whole run. Was a dumb loss. Mock battled it out and I won with ease. Anyway. Doubt ill do another run with this team and I'm kinda glad it's over. Got really sick of using it.

Now moving onto rotations and I really want to build a team around Serperior.
This is the set I'm running thus far:

Serperior @ Wide lens
56 Hp. / 200 sp.att / 252 spe
Timid
~Sub
~Leech Seed
~Leaf Storm
~HP fire

Any advice on what I should run with it? Right now thinking SD Bisharp, Heal Bell Vaporeon and maybe Sub/protect Toxic Gliscor or choice-eruption typhlosion ? I don't really like stall teams so any advice would be lovely.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-204#post-7042272

Thanks for the feed back. You have some really good points.

For Hitmontop, I was wrong. It already has an Adamant nature. I thought I had given it careful to add a little extra SpD to make it more of a mixed wall when combined with intimidate. You're correct about Wide Guard protecting from friendly attacks, which is good to know and opens options for other moves. Stone Edge was a filler move and has worked to cover Metagross's fire weakness, but I agree the unreliability makes me worry every time I use it, to the point where i currently plan on it missing. So the 4th slot is fluid. I will try helping hand and see how it goes, if that isn't working I might breed for Mach Punch. Other options are Return, Protect, Endeavor (lthough I dont think that will work well with the below speed, and I've even considered thief, but too many opponents run borderline useless items.

For Metagross, I think you're right, Zen Headbutt is great, but 90% will miss eventually. Thunderpunch is a good replacement, might try return to for a bit more powerful neutral coverage attack. I rely too much on protect to scrap it for now, although I agree bullet punch would be helpful.

I really like the idea of scarfed Hydreigon. Draco is good as a kill anything button, and with the amount of switching this team enjoys with Intimidate stalling (also why the choice items aren't much of a problem) the SpA drop was pretty irrelevant, but Dragon Pulse should have plenty of power for the new revenge kill. Adding in flamethrower will give it fantastic coverage. It also allows me to open up Gyarados set, but I may need to switch Gyarados nature to Jolly for that?

I may be back to square one with Gyarados, but I wasn't too fond of its previous role was just an awful patchwork to try and shore up my fire weakness while acting as a revenge killer. In doubles I have found that boosting moves are simply too slow and with this teams love of switching around. Waterfall is a given. I like Iron Head, otherwise I get ruined by a late fairy type. Maybe Return or EQ for coverage with Protect? Slap a Muscle Band on it, I'm not to fond of doubling down on choice items. Eject Button? Life Orb?
No problem. Mach Punch is also a viable option, but I'd forget about the other two to be honest; non-STAB Return coming from a Base 95 Attack will be very underwhelming, and Endeavor's far too situational/unreliable.

Metagross appreciates all the coverage it can get, so Return (despite receiving a Tough Claws boost as well, I think?) doesn't achieve anything more for it. Yeah, the last slot's unfortunately a toss-up, Protect might be too good for you to scrap, though.

Hmm, that's a tough one for Hydreigon; in your case Draco Meteor does have its appeal, I'm just concerned about the accuracy! Dragon Pulse should OHKO all relevant Dragons except for Goodra I'd say, but it's up to you.

The good thing about Gyarados is it's very versatile, so you can run many different sets, items, EV spreads etc. Slurpuff4 in particular could prove to be a threat if Metagross is down, so in this case Iron Head actually seems pretty worthwhile; for Adamant you need to invest a minimum of 188 Spe IVs to outrun Slurpuff. Unfortunately Iron Head only has a 50% chance to OHKO even with Life Orb and max Attack, but Helping Hand could alleviate that problem should you choose to run it. I think Jolly's more viable on DD sets so you can outspeed more things at +1, but I don't have the best Gyara experience either. So yeah, my final suggestion would be:
Gyarados @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect
252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 Atk/188 Spe/rest in bulk; just do some experimenting, check out the Speed tier list to determine what'll work best for you.
(Thanks to Helping Hand, Iron Head OHKO's 100% of the time should you choose not to run Life Orb.)

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is a good 3rd mon to synergize with this singles team?
Durant
Choice Scarf
Jolly | Truant
EVs: 220 HP / 64 Def / 228 Spe
Entrainment / X-Scissor / Confide / Protect

Cloyster
Focus Sash
Naughty | Skill Link
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk / 94 SpAtk / 164 Spe
Shell Smash / Icicle Spear / Surf / Protect

Thinking maybe mega t-tar (d-dance, protect, dark pulse/earthquake, /rock slide/stone edge/ pursuit )
Ivs: hex flawless
Adamant nature (need nature suggestions, not sure about adamant)
Need ev suggestions

So I need suggestions on Pokémon species, if t-tar is a good option I'm not sure about nature/evs/moveset
I can say from experience that Jolly max Speed Garchomp works well with Durant and Cloyster. Good type synergy with Cloyster, stops Volt Switch, excellent coverage and power for the two attacking moves you are limited to with a Durant sweeper (just watch out for Togekiss!), and isn't damaged by sandstorm, which is otherwise a real irritant because it breaks Cloyster's Sash. Garchomp also is very good as a standalone sweeper, which is important because unsupported Durant will sometimes fail to stick an Entrainement (Lax Incense, Magic Bounce, etc.) and you'll need your two sweepers to win the battle without a free setup. The inability to boost its speed hurts, and Garchomp is absolutely the back up to Cloyster on such a team, but I've had successful streaks in both the Maison and Subway with this threesome. You won't be as rock solid reliable as the best Support + Durant + Sweeper teams, but as far as Durant + 2 Sweeper squads go, you'll be pretty well positioned.

Note that with Tyranitar, you are vulnerable in a non-Entrainment situation because your sweeprs share a Fighting-type weakness, and there are a surprising number of Focus Blast users in the Maison. You'll also have the potential awkwardness of Tyranitar's sandstorm breaking your own Cloyster's Sash, a definite nonbo.

Hello all, long time reader/lurker but this will be my first post. Posting a streak of 731 battles in Super Triples. The video of the battle loss can be found here: 7Z7W-WWWW-WW53-58G5. Pretty annoyed with the way I lost - Whiscash4 KO's my two trick room setters with Fissure on Turns 1 and 2, and I couldn't recover. I've played this battle over a few times, and if Fissure misses or it picks Muddy Water, Dusclops gets Trick Room up and I win every time. This has left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth given that this streak was built up over the course of a year or so, but such is life in the Maison. Anyway, on to the team:

Dusclops (M) @ Eviolite
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252HP, 128 Def, 128 SpD
Moveset: Trick Room, Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split, Night Shade

Abomasnow (M) @ Abomasite
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Moveset: Blizzard, Giga Drain, Earthquake, Protect

Marowak (F) @ Thick Club
Nature: Brave
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Moveset: Bonemerang, Iron Head, Rock Slide, Protect

Clawitzer (M) @ Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Moveset: Water Pulse, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 200 HP, 252 SpA, 56 Def
Moveset: Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Trick Room

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moveset: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Taunt, Protect

This team started out in XY, when I was breeding for an Abomasnow with good IVs and hatched a shiny one, so I decided to build a team around him. That streak ended up going to the mid-300s, before I lost it due to my DS resetting (it had water damage). I left it for awhile and played around with some triples teams in ORAS using the new Megas, but I kept coming back to Trick Room, which the AI does not function well under. I brought this team back in ORAS and slowly have been working it up, so this was really the first time in over 1000 battles that these guys actually lost. I always figured it would be a Hex Maniac - they usually give me the toughest battles given the amount of Pokes that can undo my Trick Room - but it was a ****ing Whiscash.

Mega-Abomasnow is an under-appreciated Mega IMO. Sure, he has a bunch of weaknesses, but that effectively makes him act as bait when standing in the center, and while he protects the AI's super effective attacks, Dusclops sets up Trick Room and we roll from there. Out of the 731 battles, I probably won more than half of them with just my front three. Mega-Abomasnow's Blizzard is ridiculously powerful, and it was incredibly satisfying KO-ing teams of legendaries with one spread move. Ideally the first turn is Trick Room/Protect/Protect, though I would sometimes just attack with Marowak if the two Poke's on her side were going to attack Abomasnow - that would also give me two chances to hit with Bonemerang. I was surprised that Marowak's only STAB move having 90% accuracy didn't blow up on me more often, but I think that the trade-off is worth it compared to the 100% accurate spread EQ. Bonemerang breaks sashes, berries, and Sturdy, doesn't damage Marowak's partners, and is obscenely powerful thanks to Thick Club. Taunt was occasionally an issue, with Crobat being the biggest offender, but it was usually a 50-50 between taunt and attacking Abomasnow, and the backline has good bulk to allow swapping in and out if necessary.

That's about it I guess. Still pretty disappointed with the way this loss played out, and I'm not really sure what I could have done differently after turns 1 and 2. I probably could have swapped Marowak out for Clawitzer to avoid losing it on turn 2, but even with that I'm not sure I overcome the speed disadvantage outside of TR. I am still pretty proud of this team, as I believe it's the highest Trick Room streak that doesn't involve level-1 bait. Anyway, thanks for reading. I welcome comments and criticisms about the team, though this has left a bitter taste in my mouth and will probably stay out of the Maison until Sun and Moon come out next month. Cheers

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Reading through it now:

Pokémon in battle facilities have at least reasonable movesets
Aggron2 & Vanilluxe2 say hi.

I fucking loved Suizorus getting a writeup: it's undoubtedly my second-favorite team Jump's made, mainly because it took Haxorus--a 'mon I thought would get no traction as a Maison regular at the time--and made it the star of a team featuring a reliable Legendary and a pretty popular Mega.

Similarly, for this purpose Durant uses an EV spread that allows it to tank a critical hit Focus Punch; it also runs enough Speed to outrun Choice Scarf Manectric, the fastest foe that roams the Maison
The fatest relevant foe, you mean.

Gliscor is an interesting Pokémon in the Maison, and this was the first team to truly highlight how incredibly good it is at what it does. While its standard SubToxic has been pushed out of the limelight in competitive play because of the prominence of certain threats that are handled more easily by different sets, it takes advantage of the AI in a way that nothing else does—since the AI generally doesn't switch, Gliscor becomes effectively invulnerable against anything that is slower or cannot prevent it from getting up a Sub simply by alternating Substitute and Protect, allowing it to easily PP stall a foe's most threatening move to pave the way for a teammate, and naturally its Toxic stall shenanigans are still as sadistic as ever.
Who know what's interesting about this? You could write a whole other article just on how SubToxic Gliscor has transitioned from being a competitive star to being a battle facility star (and I say that as someone who has paid next to no mind to Glscor's history in the meta).

Despite being on this thread way too much, I had completely forgotten about Team Growl and its influence. Excellent work there.

The Smogon Flying Press article on the history of the Maison singles leaderboard, by The Dutch Plumberjack, turskain, and me is now live. Give it a read here!
This is excellent! And whilst i've spent most of my time this gen in doubles and triples play (will post triples team in the next month) i am inspired to take on the more meticulous nature of singles play next generation! Congratulations to all the teams/players that have shaped this gen
:mad:

I'm back, friends.

I have now beat Super Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Rotations blindfolded.

So, this will most certainly be a stupidly long post. (I'll make heavy use of hide tags to make this bearable)

There's also links to the videos of these runs, if you're interested.

Video is here.

Team "Fairies are broken". Singles was stupidly easy, and I pretty much expected as much. The only reason I didn't beat this on my first try was because I screwed up and accidentally left my blindfold off too long (which, by the way, happened way, way more times than it should have). There isn't even much to say about this run, really- the theorymonning was pretty quick and minor for how good this team's synergy ended up being.

EV spreads are pretty self explanatory, and probably not even optimal but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mega Mawile is a big fat GG to anything stupid enough to let it Swords Dance, as well as to a majority of things that don't. He hits things, and he kills things. Plain and simple. This guy made my Singles run my shortest one by a matter of hours.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

On the odd occasion where whatever the AI has can kill Mawile faster than it can kill the AI's mon, Hydreigon typically makes for a very good switchin (think Earth Powers and Flamethrowers). I've discussed this core in my previous post, but Mega Mawile and *insert Levitating Dragon-type here* form a fantastic combo together, and I've used these two specifically for most of VGC 2016. Hydreigon is chosen over other levitating Dragons for a variety of reasons; Hydreigon's Dark/Dragon typing is way cooler and better than Dragon/Flying (especially alongside Mawile). It has great coverage, enough immediate power to be threatening, and high enough Speed and bulk to be very good with Scarf. Hydreigon also doesn't autolose to Ice Shard *ahem*, which makes my matchup against Mamoswine much better, and has a much higher coolness factor than shitty Dragonite and Salamence. There, I said it.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Mawile is much weaker on the special side, so AV Azumarill nicely patched up the "holes" in the team. Azu is my default switchin for taking Thunder Waves, strong special moves, and general things I didn't want Mawile or Hydreigon taking. Aqua Jet is decently strong, Play Rough does solid damage when it isn't missing (usually I used Knock Off or Superpower + Aqua Jet to kill things unless Play Rough really was mandatory). Other moves are "coverage" (Waterfall > Knock Off probably, but it didn't exactly cost me any battles.). Huge Power is nothing on this like it is on Mega Mawile, but it's still pretty silly strong.

EVs were for, uh, one more AV boost point? I don't remember. Who cares.

Part 1 of the video of the run is here.
Part 2 is here.

You can read about this run in my previous post here.

For the purposes of this post, I'll just post my team members here.

Fletchling @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 1
EVs: None
- Protect
- Fly
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
Level: 50
EVs: 60 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 76 Def / 220 SpA / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 172 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Power-Up Punch
- Roost
- Protect

Part 1 of this run's replay is here.
Part 2 is here.

Triples was an interesting one, and I thought it would be a lot harder than it ended up being. That said, I did get quite lucky overall (no Veteran battles whatsoever). The menuing while blindfolded was certainly the hardest part, and I messed it up plenty of times throughout the run. Overall, though, I could probably replicate this run fairly easily.

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Jynx, placed on the far left, had precisely two purposes- be a moderately fast Fake Out user turn 1, and then kill Dragons, Grasses, and Tentacruel with the appropriate STAB move. I guess it also baited attacks sometimes I suppose, but I rarely used it for that. Jynx is super frail, but if whatever hit Jynx doesn't activate Sash, Dry Skin can very quickly bring Jynx back up to full, where Sash can be used again (Surf + rain healing = 37.5% recovery every turn).

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Yes, this is a 100% legitimate, Kalos-bred, 5IV flawless, Swift Swim shiny Ludicolo.

Apart from being the best accidental breed of my life, Ludicolo does on this team what it does on most rain teams- it does a lot of damage, and quickly. With Ludicolo in the middle and sporting by far the fastest Fake Out on the field, it and Jynx can shut down two-thirds of the field turn 1, leaving Politoed free to throw out a moderately powerful Surf which also triggers Ludicolo's Absorb Bulb.

Energy Ball probably should have been replaced by Giga Drain, but eh. I'm lazy, and I suppose the extra power also suits Ludicolo for the job it's doing. In fact, I'm pretty sure it picked up KOs on a variety of occasions where Giga Drain wouldn't have, but then again, I'm sure the recovery would have saved Ludicolo a few times too. Ice Beam was important against things like Dragons, and creates fantastic coverage alonside Ludicolo's STABs.

I wish I could have fit Protect on here somewhere- if I was to, I'd probably replace one of Ice Beam or Energy Ball, but with all the redundant coverage this team had already, I really needed both, so I'm not necessarily sure Protect would have been better overall. Oh well.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Like Jynx, Politoed serves a few very specific purposes- set/reset rain, trigger Absorb Bulb, and then be Ludicolo's shitty Surf-spamming replacement whenever it happens to die prematurely. Surf and Rain Dance are mandatory, but Ice Beam and even Protect could probably have been replaced with something better, like Helping Hand. Ice Beam was only used when Surf was completely unusable or there was a Grass I really needed dead and my normal Grass killing things were dead.

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 172 HP / 76 Def / 220 SpA / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Gastrodon was RNGed in White.

Same Gastrodon from my Doubles streak, but this time he is a complete monster. After Politoed uses Surf turn 1, I switch in the slug and watch as not only do the Electric attacks aimed at Politoed bounce right off, but also as Ludicolo's Surf triggers a Special Attack boost from Storm Drain. Usually, this thing is at +2 or even higher before it gets to move, making its attacks have some real oomph behind them, especially Scald, which also gets the rain buff. Gastrodon compresses a lot of useful roles into one slot- with some Special Attack boosts, it serves as a great answer to Trick Room, picks off any Electric type bold enough to weather repeated Surfs, and maintains the team's coverage options when Jynx and others go down.

Raikou @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 16 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Signal Beam
- Protect

This came with this team that I built forever ago. Why I spent the time RNGing one with HP Water to build a Raikou this specific way all that time ago is a mystery, forever lost to the aether of my shitty memory. Alas, here it is, and I used it, so I am listing it here. Speculating, it likely had to do with the event Raikou's locked Mild nature (otherwise, Weather Ball >>> HP Water), and Signal Beam picking up a super-effective hit on pure Grass types. I really have no idea, otherwise. I did make the conscious decision to run Thunderbolt over Thunder though, so I wasn't utterly boned when Rain was overridden with something else, which I guess is also a reason to run HP Water over Weather Ball.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Telepathy
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Ah, Noivern. Another Pokemon that saw the entirety of its public interest fade with the "shiny new toy" phase of the new generation. It finds refuge with this team, being a great way to patch up some of the team's weaknesses while also benefitting from Rain (and dodging Surf with Telepathy). All of Noivern's moves bar Draco Meteor can target the far side of the field, which is another nice perk. I think I used Dark Pulse once, Draco Meteor never.

EDIT: Video can be found here.

I actually thought Rotations was going to be the hardest initially (which is why I went for Multis first). Turns out, after learning the menuing (which was difficult to learn because it's different from the others), it was one of the easier runs, if also the longest thus far. The team had more strategy than "kill everything faster than you can fuck it up" this time, as a little test of how competent I was at menuing, which turned out a little better than I anticipated.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Scizor is good, but less good than I anticipated because it's 4x weak to Fire, meaning it's mostly incapable of setting up safely until Fire-types are out of the picture, and its +6 Bullet Punch isn't quite as strong as you think it is (though still extremely strong). With two of her (mine is a female I guess) moveslots dedicated to setup and recovery, she doesn't have much in terms of coverage, either. I'm not sure what I'd replace Scizor with on this team given how good a Fairy/Dragon/Steel core is and Scizor being a pretty rare example of a Pokemon that has all of good bulk, good typing (for the most part), setup, recovery, and powerful priority. That said, I often found myself preferring to Wish pass and attack instead of Roost, so maybe a coverage move might have been better? Roost did save me in a couple stall wars, but I dunno. Maybe the stall wars wouldn't have happened if I'd had Superpower.

Speed investment was leftover from a spread I used in some scrapped Fletchling team revision (I think, can't remember for sure), and didn't bother taking off. Pretty sure it helped me outspeed something somewhere because I remember being surprised at how fast Scizor was.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Originally had Aromatisse here for the Taunt immunity (even had one bred and trained up), and then I thought, "I don't trust my menuing THAT much, why don't I pick something with some spamminess to it"? So, I once again scrubbed through the list of things that got all of Wish, Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, and decent HP, and landed on Sylveon. And Togekiss, but no matter how badly I "Wished" it were the superior option with its better physical bulk and cooler design, I couldn't justify the extra Ice weakness and Dazzling Gleam over the much more powerful Pixilate Hyper Voice.

So, here we are. To its credit, Sylveon's perfectly concise combination of movepool, stats, and ability lends itself very well to the role of "Cleric but also spammy thing", and for once Sylveon actually performs well at a role slightly larger than "spammy thing". I wish it had more physical Defense, because even with Reflect and the capacity to heal itself, Sylveon dies quickly to physical attacks.

But, whatever. It did indeed pass Wishes, scream loudly at things, and it's less ass-ugly than Aromatisse. Gold star.

Latios @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

"screens r gud" is the general premise of Latios on this team, and it also packed the only Water move I could fit on my leads for killing Fire-types. I picked Latios over Latias (or Prankster screen setters) for this role because Latios keeps with the whole "spammy thing" theme slightly better and also was already sitting around in my box whereas a Latias wasn't.

Beyond that, it's pretty self-explanatory. Dragon Pulse and Surf when there's a thing that Scizor doesn't like to setup on, or because it's fun. Latios is pretty good at what it does except for the fact that it really, really wants a 5th moveslot for Roost, and relying on Sylveon to Wish pass both of my other Pokemon was sometimes a bit of a stretch.

#HEADBANGIN (Bouffalant) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Rest

To whoever it was in the VGC room talking shit on Bouffalant, look at him now.

I was in the middle of typing "Porygon2" into Showdown's teambuilder when I saw somebody in the VGC room make a flippant comment on "how stupid Bouffalant's design was". Flabbergasted, I whipped up the harshest verbal middle finger rebuttal I could muster to that statement without also incurring moderator reprisal and proceeded to Route 113 to catch myself a ringed rebel and prove a very firm point.

A little backstory- I was originally drawing up a set for Porygon2 because plugging my leads into a weakness calculator showed me that my only unaddressed weakness amongst them was Latios's weakness to Ghost moves. Not wanting to upset the type balance of the team and also seeing that I had good answers to Fighting-type attacks, I settled on a pure Normal-type. I hate Kangaskhan, and it wasn't an option anyway with Scizor's occupation of the Mega slot. Seeing that comment in chat was some kind of hot spark that landed perfectly inside the pile of psychotic kindling within my brain, igniting a firestorm of mad-scientist theorymonning. Realizing immediately that Porygon2's use against Ghost types was "lol T-bolt", and that any other Normal-types couldn't quite match the perfectly-balanced blend of bulk, immediate damage output, and movepool like Bouffalant possessed, it became my quest to show the world why the Based Bison simply cannot be fucked with.

Appearing throughout history as Funk Tauros, He Who Be Runnin' Thu, The Hoofed Hero, or simply as AFROBULL, the mighty Bouffalant goes by many names, and even more hashtags. It is said he wears rings because his neck is too thick and burly for chains (and because they make a pleasant clinging sound when he collides into foes with more force than all the nuclear weapons in the world could generate). Recent science has shown that the reason his Attack is base 110 and not 110,000 is because when he launches a Head Charge (in the way that only he can), that juicy 'fro provides just enough cushion to prevent you from being wiped from the very fabric of reality. The benign and noble warrior he is, Bouffalant only wishes to teach you a lesson, not strip you from existence itself (though don't think for a second he isn't willing and ready to whip out a Choice Band and bash you and your entire family line backwards into time). He'll hoof-stomp entire seismic plates in two whenever a Rock- or Steel-type tries to get cute with their "resistances", and he'll deliver Payback's righteous retribution to the wandering Ghost-type spirits who dare commit their evildoings in his presence (as well as to the occasional hater).

Out of respect for Bouffalant's sheer and unbridled might, I gave the Soldier of Style his choice of where to be placed in this team. He chose the back slot, preferring to act as a sort of divine guiding hand. He thought it best to allow his disciples to experience struggle, teaching them the value of working hard so that they, too, might achieve greatness of their own someday.

Also, when he uses Leer, he does it with his afro.

Any questions?

Well everybody, I'm at that point that I know we're all familiar with playing Pokemon. I've beaten the Elite 4, and now it's time to challenge the proverbial Champion- this time, his name is Super Multis.

If my failures before this were anything of a sign, it means I wasn't fully ready. What I can say is that my repeated failure at the Multis ladder has thoroughly tested my willpower, and my dedication to both this project and my stream. It has taught me to focus with a certain sort of zen that I wasn't truly familiar with before now.
Now, all that stands before me is the Maison doorway's last stand at breaking my spirit- one last bout with Wally's terrible decision making and the inevitable onslaught of complete bullshit hax that makes the Multis ladder famous for being the obscenely masochistic pursuit that it is.

To my friends in the Maison- if I never post here again... Well, you can probably guess what happened.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
My trick room streak ended after 4.131 wins.

Battle #4.132: JYBG-WWWW-WW53-DVJF

I got quite unlucky in match-up and hax but in the end I think the best way to describe the loss is that I didn't play around it sufficient enough.

Team:

Dusclops (F) @ Evliote ** Redrum
Nature: Relaxed
Trait: Frisk
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/00
EVs: 252 HP/126 Def/132 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 147/90/273/71/250/27
Moveset: Trick Room/Foresight/Night Shade/Brick Break

Trick Room;
Trick Room twists the dimensions which is needed to make use of the most effective and deadliest Maison Doubles strategy to date; sweeping the AI with a level 1 Aron and a bulky, hard hitting back-up. By using Trick Room and relatively slow Pokémon, speed EVs can be shifted to HP, Defense and Special Defense which allows those slow Pokémon to become incredibly bulky, and Aron to move first on anything without priority moves/items.

Foresight;
Foresight allows Aron to hit Ghost types which is one of the most annoying type for Trick Room teams. Foresight also ''ignores'' Double Team users who try to stall, and allows Kangaskhan to wreck havoc with Fake Out / Double-Edge after Mega evolving.

Night Shade;
Night Shade deals consistant damage which is ideal for a Pokémon with only base 90 Attack, uninvested. Night Shade takes out every non Sitrus Berry Pokémon after a full HP Endeavor from Aron. The only real downside of Night Shade is being unable to hit Normal types.

Brick Break;
Brick Break allows Dusclops to take out Normal types who've been hit by Endeavor. It also ensures to take down Rampardos2 and Rampardos4 after Sitrus Berry activation, which is crucial given that it may have Mold Breaker. Bastiodon4 also falls to Endeavor + Brick Break despite of Sitrus Berry, although it isn't a real threat bar Rock Slide flinches.

''Redrum'' is a reference to Stephen King's ''The Shining'', which is murder spelled backwards.

Aron (M) @ Berry Juice ** Mithril
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: Zero
Lv. 1 stats: 12/6/7/4/6/5
Moveset: Endeavor/Toxic/Swagger/Protect

Endeavor;
Endeavor brings down the targeted Pokémon to 12 or 1 HP, depending on the condition of Aron. This allows me to take out the AI's Pokémon fairly easy with a combination of Endeavor + Night Shade/Brick Break, or even Fake Out/Mach Punch from my back-up.

Toxic;
Toxic is mainly used when facing dual Ghosts or Stall sets and probably 95% of the time when I face Cofagrigus, which removes Sturdy would I have Foresighted it with Dusclops. Spiritomb deserves special mention given that it likes to Sucker Punch Aron, and one of the sets has Substitute.

Swagger;
Swagger sounds like a filler move and while I have to admit that it isn't used much, it really, really isn't a filler move. It is by far better than Stealth Rock/Sleep Talk/Screech or Rain Dance/Sunny Day, unless you run Pokémon that benefit from the latter two. If you don't believe me I'd invite you to watch this battle video from the 1,296 run: AY5W-WWWW-WWWN-YNWH.

Protect;
Protect is mandatory as it allows Aron to go through turn 1 unscattered while Dusclops sets up Trick Room. Since Aron works like a magnet, Protect sees quite a lot of play in later turns, especially when I need to Foresight a Ghost type or to avoid damage from priority moves / twist the dimensions again.

''Mithril'' is a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien's ''Lord of the Ring's''. Mithril is a metal which is stronger than steel but light as a feather.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Broadway
Trait: Scrappy/Parental Bond
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 (mega) stats: 212/194/120/77/121/94
Moveset: Fake Out/Double-Edge/Drain Punch/Sucker Punch

Fake Out;
Fake Out is one of the top 5 moves for Maison Doubles and combined with Scrappy/Parental Bond the main reason why I use Kangaskhan. Fake Out reaches a Base Power of 90 (!!) after Mega Evolving thanks to Parental Bond, guaranteeing that the targeted Pokémon will not strike back that turn, with a few exceptions aside (Inner Focus etc). The best part isn't actually the amount of damage it does after Mega Evolution, but the privilege of flinching Ghost types thanks to Scrappy. Consider Mega Kangaskhan for all your Doubles teams for the sole fact that it has access to Fake Out.

Double-Edge;
Double-Edge has pros and cons when comparing it with Return. Double-Edge, (in combination with Night Shade) allows Mega Kangaskhan to OHKO a lot of the AI's Pokémon at the cost of (heavy) recoil. Given that Kangaskhan usually moves before the AI and that Dusclops + Aron do most of the work, I really prefer Double-Edge over Return for critical situations, were Kangaskhan needs to deal as much damage as possible.

Drain Punch;
Drain Punch used to be Rock Slide during the 1,748 and 1,296 runs and was slashed in after I lost to Cradily because Walrein4 screwed me over. Drain Punch allows Kangskhan to restore HP lost from Double-Edge recoil or general damage received from the AI. While a Super Effective Drain Punch deals less damage than a (non resisted) Double-Edge, it is the better option against things that are in KO range to create durability for Kangaskhan.

Sucker Punch;
Sucker Punch deals with Ghost types which can be considered a threat to the team given that Dusclops has to Forrsight them first for Mega Kangaskhan to hit them otherwise. However, the main reason I run Sucker Punch (and not Crunch) is the fact that it has priority. Sucker Punch helps in situations were the AI outslows Kangaskhan during Trick Room, or outspeeds her when Trick Room isn't up (anymore).
Sucker Punch provides great coverage with Drain Punch, while the few Pokémon who'm resist the combination all fall to Double-Edge.

''Broadway is reference to nothing, really.''

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest ** Undisputed
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 108 HP/252 Atk/6 Def/144 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 194/211/116/75/154/45
Moveset: Drain Punch/Knock Off/Ice Punch/Mach Punch

Drain Punch;
Drain Punch is Conkeldurr's strongest accurate move that comes with no drawbacks, but heals it instead. Thanks to Iron Fist, Drain Punch reaches a Base Power of 146 which is incredibly strong.

Knock Off;
Knock Off received an amazing boost in Generation 6 and is one of the best moves for a Fighting type, thanks to it's secondary effect and movetype. Given that all Maison Pokémon have a held item, Knock Off has a Base Power of 97, most of the time.

Ice Punch;
Ice Punch deals with Grass and Flying types, while being boosted by Iron Fist. It provides great coverage for the team in general and OHKO's Pokémon like Landorus/Torterra/Hawlucha.

Mach Punch;
Mach Punch is a great priority move which helps against weakened mons when Trick Room has ran out. It is also boosted by Iron Fist, meaning that it reaches a decent Base Power (78), with priority. Conkeldurr's stats distribution and it's movepool make it the best (non mega) Trick Room attacker out there.

''Undisputed'' is a reference to the film series called ''Undisputed'', which is about the best prison fighters in the world.

More info is found here and here.

While a lot of information has been leaked regarding Sun & Moon, we still don't know anything about a possbile Battle Frontier or Battle Mountain (because of the islands).

Information or not, I think we're all confident it will make it's return in one way or another.
I hope to meet up with y'all again when Sun & Moon hits the stores.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the battle maison and I'm just trying to get the Super Singles trophy.

I'm using The Dutch Plumberjack's singles team of Greninja/Mega Scizor/Gliscor.

At about battle 38, a Rampardos lead showed up.

I was leading with greninja so I tried Surf, it did about 30% to his health. Then he used Head Smash and did about 90% to greninja. So I tried switching to mega scizor and swords dance, then he used head smash again doing 80-90% to scizor. I then used roost, then he used head smash again killing scizor.

Then I put gliscor in, tried to toxic him on turn 1, but he just used head smash again doing 80-90% on gliscor, i tried to use sub but he outsped me, and headsmash for KO. He died from recoil too.

Only remaining mon now is Greninja, and then came a leafeon so i used ice beam and killed it. Third mon came(i forgot what), but I didnt OHKO it and killed greninja who has about 10% of his life.

I know I did many things wrong. How would you guys kill this Rampardos? I dont know what to do with this guy, seems like its choice scarfed?

Last edited:
perhaps...

sacrifice frog to head smashes, use ice beam turn 1 to ensure death.
send in gliscor. protect to poison self, then substall (head smash max roll is 82% and you need 25%+1 to make a sub, so you need the poison recovery). pray for no crit.
when rampardos runs out of head smashes, waste time to recover more hp. make sure you end with a sub up. leafeon3 dies to toxic and at the same time can allow scizor to setup up since synthesis is free dancing, but leaving gliscor is is prolly fine too. the 3rd mon prolly doesnt matter if facing a subbed gliscor or a boosted scizor and youre up 2-1 when it gets out.

perhaps...

sacrifice frog to head smashes, use ice beam turn 1 to ensure death.
send in gliscor. protect to poison self, then substall (head smash max roll is 82% and you need 25%+1 to make a sub, so you need the poison recovery). pray for no crit.
when rampardos runs out of head smashes, waste time to recover more hp. make sure you end with a sub up. leafeon3 dies to toxic and at the same time can allow scizor to setup up since synthesis is free dancing, but leaving gliscor is is prolly fine too. the 3rd mon prolly doesnt matter if facing a subbed gliscor or a boosted scizor and youre up 2-1 when it gets out.
Problem is, he outsped my gliscor. but i cant remember if he outsped my greninja. but after turn 1, greninja had 10% hp and rampardos was at 60%.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the battle maison and I'm just trying to get the Super Singles trophy.

I'm using The Dutch Plumberjack's singles team of Greninja/Mega Scizor/Gliscor.

At about battle 38, a Rampardos lead showed up.

I was leading with greninja so I tried Surf, it did about 30% to his health. Then he used Head Smash and did about 90% to greninja. So I tried switching to mega scizor and swords dance, then he used head smash again doing 80-90% to scizor. I then used roost, then he used head smash again killing scizor.

Then I put gliscor in, tried to toxic him on turn 1, but he just used head smash again doing 80-90% on gliscor, i tried to use sub but he outsped me, and headsmash for KO. He died from recoil too.

Only remaining mon now is Greninja, and then came a leafeon so i used ice beam and killed it. Third mon came(i forgot what), but I didnt OHKO it and killed greninja who has about 10% of his life.

I know I did many things wrong. How would you guys kill this Rampardos? I dont know what to do with this guy, seems like its choice scarfed?
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 291-346 (169.1 - 201.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(also: 252 Atk Rampardos Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 208-246 (141.4 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Plus Greninja outruns Choice Scarf Rampardos anyways (and it also reads like Scizor outsped it?), so yeah I'm not really sure what's going on here, sorry...

Do your mons have perfect IVs and are you running the EVs, natures, and movesets that I used? If that's the case then you should be able to click Surf (or, well, technically Grass Knot ig, since set 1 runs Passho Berry) against any Rampardos lead without a second thought.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 291-346 (169.1 - 201.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(also: 252 Atk Rampardos Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 208-246 (141.4 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Plus Greninja outruns Choice Scarf Rampardos anyways (and it also reads like Scizor outsped it?), so yeah I'm not really sure what's going on here, sorry...

Do your mons have perfect IVs and are you running the EVs, natures, and movesets that I used? If that's the case then you should be able to click Surf (or, well, technically Grass Knot ig, since set 1 runs Passho Berry) against any Rampardos lead without a second thought.
I wish I had saved the video. But I definitely used the exact mons with the IVs, EVs, natures, and movesets that you posted. And greninja definitely survived his head smash because greninja was the last one alive of my mons.

You know, It was my fault. Probably made a bad decision somewhere along turn 1.

Last edited:
The fact that both Rampardos and Greninja survived the attacks which hit them is an indicator that you did not properly EV Greninja. People will occasionally claim otherwise, but the battle facilities do not become buggy and ignore hard-set stats.

By the way, the only way Rampardos inflicts "80-90%" to Mega Scizor is if Mega Scizor has no EVs whatsoever or something, as it is quite physically bulky. I don't use Gliscor much but I'm confident that the standard spread can easily survive Rampardos3 Head Smash and have enough HP left to sub.

All evidence points to either a misunderstanding as to what EVs are and how to accrue them (which does happen with new players, nothing a good read of a guide won't quickly fix) or sloppy hacking, because knowledgable players do not breed a set of 31s and forget to actually train them properly.

The fact that both Rampardos and Greninja survived the attacks which hit them is an indicator that you did not properly EV Greninja. People will occasionally claim otherwise, but the battle facilities do not become buggy and ignore hard-set stats.

By the way, the only way Rampardos inflicts "80-90%" to Mega Scizor is if Mega Scizor has no EVs whatsoever or something, as it is quite physically bulky. I don't use Gliscor much but I'm confident that the standard spread can easily survive Rampardos3 Head Smash and have enough HP left to sub.

All evidence points to either a misunderstanding as to what EVs are and how to accrue them (which does happen with new players, nothing a good read of a guide won't quickly fix) or sloppy hacking, because knowledgable players do not breed a set of 31s and forget to actually train them properly.
Here are the guys I used.

Maybe the way I recall the battle was not that accurate.
But these are the ones I know for sure:
-turn 1, cant remember who attacked first but greninja used either grass knot or surf. did not OHKO. Rampardos used head smash, left greninja with 10-15%. (dunno who attacked first but that's the "life percentages" after turn 1.

That points to Gren being 252/252 timid with the last 4 in def, Gliscor being 212/4/36/x/252/4 Careful, and Scizor being 204/252/4/x/4/44 Adamant.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Surf vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Passho Berry Rampardos: 121-142 (70.3 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (i.e. you were either facing Rampardos1 or misclicked)

That's consistent with Rampardos1. Your Gliscor outspeeds Rampardos1 on account of it using some shitty Brave ev spread.
285 | Rampardos1 | Brave | Passho Berry | Rock Slide | Crunch | Curse | Protect | Atk/Def/SpD

edit: made the calc lvl 50 x_X

So that's why greninja didn't OHKO it with surf.... it had a passho berry. i did not notice that when i was battling it.

That points to Gren being 252/252 timid with the last 4 in def, Gliscor being 212/4/36/x/252/4 Careful, and Scizor being 204/252/4/x/4/44 Adamant.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Surf vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Passho Berry Rampardos: 121-142 (70.3 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (i.e. you were either facing Rampardos1 or misclicked)

That's consistent with Rampardos1. Your Gliscor outspeeds Rampardos1 on account of it using some shitty Brave ev spread.
285 | Rampardos1 | Brave | Passho Berry | Rock Slide | Crunch | Curse | Protect | Atk/Def/SpD

edit: made the calc lvl 50 x_X
Hmm, I think it's set 2, since set 1 doesn't have Head Smash.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Always sad to see such an incredible streak go down, Eppie, but at least the loss nicely caps off the Maison era. Certainly look more forward to more great streaks in whatever facility SuMo has to offer us!

I've updated the leaderboard through here, so as always, let me know if any of you spot any errors or omissions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)