Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
I am going to have to go with Eeyore, because I feel like he went on a limb, and I actually tried his set and it works well! I also like how you didnt copy the movests and EV's from Smogon... I dont like it when people just literally copy two mons from smogon, be creative! Nice Job Eeyore!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Wow the votes were very sparse this week with the winner only getting 4 votes! Congratulations Cyndequil.

This week, I decided to choose a pokemon that doesn't really need support, but rather can support its teammates very nicely. I am talking about...

This little cotton ball has fun Encoring and paralyzing its opponents, giving its teammates ample setup opportunities to wreck the opponent. Have fun guys and see you on Friday :)

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Whimsicott and Mega Houndoom

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

What's up guys n_n got a nice match with Whimsicott and Houndoom. These 2 have pretty perfect type synergy, Whimsicott handling any Water- and Ground-Types that threaten to kill Houndoom and Houndoom being able to switch into any Fire-Type attacks before Mega Evolution. Whimsicott can also encore any special walls that Houndoom has trouble with, such as Snorlax or Blissey, potentially giving a free set-up turn to Doom if they stay in as you U-Turn. Teammates like Heracross or Coba could be useful to shut down things like Lax and Blissey. But yeah, this is a really cool core that has some really nice synergy :]

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving my girl Mienshao

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Switcheroo
- U-turn

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Whimsicott and Mienshao make an excellent core for most offensive teams. Whimsicott easily eliminates most physically defensive walls walls such as Chesnaught, Suicune, and others, while also crippling said Physical walls with Switcheroo. Mienshao has no problems eliminating dangerous Fire & some Flying types with Stone Edge, and Steel types with High Jump Kick. The two also form a fast U-Turn core, wearing down the opponent to where Mienshao can easily clean up.

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sweet Dreams ( Are Made of This )

Whimsacott makes a really good mom paired with porygon Z by giving it speed cpmtrol with Stun Spore and U-Turn can give it some free switch ins. Whim also resists Fighting-Type moves and can give it some free set up oppurtneties with encore by trapping some mons into Set / weak moves for Porygon Z. Porygon Z can break down walls that would try to switch into whimsacott. Porygon Z also lives having a fighting resist and u turn support. Alright that's it sorry for the short description thanks for reading :].
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
Reserving Empoleon

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Moonblast
- Memento/Giga Drain

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Steel Wing
- Earthquake

In my opinion Whimsicott is most useful as a leech seeder and status spreader due to it's very useful ability Prankster. The main thing I looked for in my partner was good type synergy. I also looked for something unexpected next to the standard Whimsicott. The answer I came up with was SD Empoleon. Empoleon has a good ability in Defiant so if an Intimidate user comes in it's attack will go up 1 stage instead of down 1. Whimsicott has Memento to give Empoleon a chance to get one free swords dance up.

Last edited:
Reserving Hoopa

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

Hoopa + Whimsicott form a great offensive core due to their great synergy together, as Whimsicott can check the dark types that ruin Hoopa, while also giving Hoopa switch-in and set-up opportunities with U-Turn and Encore, both of which Hoopa has a hard time doing without Whims.

On the other hand, Hoopa can serve as a great wincon while breaking down most mons that want to switch into Whims, Trick Room is also nice, as most of what can check whimsi and hoopa (like aero, Infernape) are screwed over under it.

Last edited:

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace / Aqua Tail / Roost

This is a pretty cool Offense core I thought of when I saw whimsicott as the mon for this week.

Whimsi's weakness's include flying, poison, and fire so the core has a minor defensive niche even though they both don't take hits all too well.

Hone claws aero has been somewhat of a forgotten set but I think it has good potential to work here along with hp fire whims to take out forretress and 2hko doublade after rocks. Those are 2 of hone claws aero's most common checks along with bulky waters which whimsicott also deals with.

These 2 guys support each other quite nicely with whims being able to beat a lot of aero's checks so I hope you guys like it!

Whimsicott is an obnoxious Pokemon that forces a lot of switching, in terms of having the godly Fairy typing, which threatens some of the metagame's powerhouse
Fighting and
Dragon types, and also having access to Prankster Encore and Stun Spore. When using Whimsi, be prepared to get committed to the game, you can't let up, and you have to stay on top of your opponent, because she's too frail to take a mistake.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore / Substitute
- Stun Spore / Toxic
- Moonblast
- U-turn / Leech Seed

While Whimsicott is infamous for encore shenanigans, and can really shut down set-up sweepers, as well as odd great offensive momentum with the likes of
Darmanitan and
Rotom-Heat, Whimsicott can also pull off a really nice Sub-Seed set. Is it really annoying to battle against? Which one? Both Yes. But both do the main point of Whimsicott, which is forcing switches. Whimsicott should never be a Pokemon your opponent says "Yea, I'm pretty sure I got this with whatever I throw out." Encore and Stun Spore provide for switching to erase Encore, while Stun and Moonblast break down the Pokemon for later, while a Sub-Seed Set puts pressure on the opponent to switch out immediately against the Toxic, as well as giving reliable recovery on top of leftovers. Whimsicott should really beware of Cloyster, as well as any Priority user, and most
Grass and
Poison Types, as she won't do too much against them, and doesn't perform the action of forcing switches.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt / Thunder Wave
- Icy Wind / Thunder Wave

Now, Froslass LOVES being paired with mons like
Sceptile-Mega,
Beedrill-Mega, but what I love to pair it with is
Sharpedo and
Lucario (hint hint on other teammates)
because those extra layer of spikes means you could turn some potential rolls into guaranteed OHKOS from your favorite glass cannon. Why does it work with Whimsicott? Because Whimsicott forces switches, JUST LIKE THE OTHER POWERHOUSES. No one wants to be caught in an Encore barrage, or on the wrong side of momentum, but a layer of Spikes punishes them every time. 3 is the optimal layering, but just 1 or two and cranking out some Icy Winds is more than enough work for the designated lead, putting pressure on your opponent to either get rid of the layer of hazards, or to make sure their health is high enough not to take a hit from your powerhouses in the back. However, if you can keep Froslass around, her amazing speed and Ghost Typing means most Defoggers are pressured by Icy Wind and then Destiny Bond, (bar
Empoleon), or Taunt if chosen, and all Spinners are blocked. I prefer Icy Wind over Thunder Wave because it keeps me from being counter-taunted, but if you want to take off Stun Spore from Whimsi, in favor of Substitute+Toxic shenanigans, I implore you.

This duo isn't designed to take anything out, nor is it an offensive powerhouse in the slightest, but it is a good match that fits well in Hyper Offense, and most Offensive-Oriented teams, as its function on the team is indispensable, and causes a lot of pressure.

Watch out for
Mega-Absol, as Froslass won't be able to get Spikes up. If you do get leaded with one, go for Icy Wind, and then Destiny Bond. It'll always outspeed afterwards, and kill the pesky thing, allowing for more Whimsi action. If Froslass can stay alive though, Whimsicott can take most moves barring Fire Blast.

Good Teammates ironically also include
Mega Absol,
Sharpedo-Mega,
Lucario,
Infernape,
Houndoom-Mega,
Crobat,
Darmanitan and
Entei.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
My nomination this week is Whimsicott and Mega Swampert!

Whimsicott @ Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-Turn / Encore / Taunt
- Hurricane / Moonblast
- Giga Drain

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp --> Swift Swim
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Att / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Superpower

So this core highlights Whimsicott's supportive capabilities, thanks to its ability Prankster, and also its offensive movepool to weaken Pokemon that threaten Swampert. In return, Swampert is able to take out bulky Pokemon that resist Whimsicott's attacks while providing coverage for Whimsicott's type disadvantages.

Whimsicott's ability Prankster ensures Rain Dance will be set up for Swampert once it mega evolves, coupled with Damp Rock, Swampert's sweping potential is immense with more turns of rain. U-Turn is a pivot to allow Whimsicott to escape bad match-ups because it is able to outspeed many Pokemon in this tier. Taunt and Encore are basically there to annoy Pokemon that like to set-up (Snorlax, Reuniclus, Pangoro) and also fully defensive Pokemon (Umbreon, Vaporeon, and Blissey) to force out a switch. With the rain up, Whimsicott can abuse Hurricane to take out Grass-type threats such as Chesnaught, Virizion and Shaymin if they have been weakened already (since Hurricane is not stab, most of the Grass types can live a hit while being able to fire back). Moonblast is also another option since it gives Whimsicott a secondary, reliable stab move. Lastly, Giga Drain is your main source of recovery, it also takes out or weakens bulky Water types such as Jellicent and Alomomola that Swampert cannot do much to.

Swampert's purpose is to take out specially defensive walls (Blissey, Mega-Ampharos, Dragalge) and also any Fire, Steel, Flying and Poison types that threaten Whimsicott. A 32 EV investment into speed allows Mega-Swampert to barely outspeed threats at +2 (Swift Swim) such as other Whimsicott, non-choice Chandelure (Energy Ball OHKOs), and Roserade. Stealth Rock is an option because it boosts the sweeping and OHKO potential of both Whimsicott and Swampert. Waterfall and Earthquake are Swampert's 2 most reliable stab moves. Both of these moves deal with Fire types while Earthquake deals with the Poison and Steel types that threaten Whimsicott. Lastly, Ice Punch is a reliable way to knock out Flying types and potentially finish of low health Grass types while, Superpower is an alternative since it deals with many of the popular specially defensive walls (Umbreon and Blissey). However, I typically don't run Superpower since it forces Swampert to switch out a lot which will waste some precious turns of rain.​

Last edited:
Whimsicott and scarf Hydreigon

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

This set allows Whimsi to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 100 while taking hits from Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Hydreigon more easily. Covers up fighting and dragon weakness for Hydreigon and potentially locks walls into moves they don't want with encore. Hydreigon covers up Chandelue/fire switchins for whimicott and threatens lots out with powerful coverage. Fire blast is to catch steels (mainly Cobalion). Ideally this match should be used as part of a volt-turn core with a wall breaker

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Whimsicott and scarf Hydreigon

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

This set allows Whimsi to outspeed Pokemon with a base Speed of 100 while taking hits from Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Hydreigon more easily. Covers up fighting and dragon weakness for Hydreigon and potentially locks walls into moves they don't want with encore. Hydreigon covers up Chandelue/fire switchins for whimicott and threatens lots out with powerful coverage. Ideally this match should be used as part of a volt-turn core with a wall breaker

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
This is an invalid submission as LittleRunnerXC already reserved Hydreigon. This will only be valid if he doesn't do his reservation after 24 hours. You may choose another Pokemon, however.

EDIT: Since LRXC didn't completely his reservation in time, this is considered valid now.

EDIT 2: I will make LRXC's submission meaning garlando, you need to pick a new Pokemon.

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Switcheroo
- U-turn

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Yay Whimsi :heart:

This is a hard-hitting core that exerts a lot of pressure on most teams. Specs Whimsi is extremely effective against offense with its awesome Fairy STAB and Speed and can often clean up late-game, while CB Krook is notoriously difficult to face for more defensive teams with its strong Knock Off and Pursuit. They match up decently type-wise and have great offensive synergy - Pokemon that can safely switch into Specs Whimsi are mainly limited to Steels, Poisons, Fires, and Bliss / Lax / P2. You can catch them with a U-turn and get a free switch to Krook to either KO / cripple them heavily or Pursuit them to put them in range for Whimsi later, while Pokemon that check Krook (Mandi, Suicune, Mega Swampert, Hydrei, Hera) are all easily defeated by Whimsi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)