Approved Upcoming Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Forgive me for not knowing exactly how an article approval post should look like, but here goes. As a someone who semi regularly attends smash brothers and badminton tournaments irl, I always found it odd how smogon doesn't actively promote their non trophy tournaments since I've participated in a good amount of them. I just figured that like how a newspaper irl would tend to have listings for various events, I figured it would seem like the smog would benefit from having an upcoming tournament listing.

As for the general guidelines

• Audience — Anyone that reads the smog that doesn't participate in tournaments since hopefully they might see a tour or two that might interest them and they end up joining and/or participating more on smogon. Also for those that do regularly join tournaments, knowing what kind of tours are coming up is quite nice.
  • Authority — As far as authority is concerned, I may not be a TD nor as well known as a large amount of tour players, but I do have 2 badges which should mean something in addition to the fact that I really like the tournament scene as a whole since the tours tend to be relatively interesting.
  • Creativity — This might not be the most creative nor revolutionary idea, but I feel this is a really basic thing that would ultimately pique our audience's interest so not much to really say here.

As for a rough outline, I did get permission from McM to do this though I haven't talked to the soon to be tournament hosts, but here's a rough outline of what the most recent edition would be just eyeballing the upcoming tournaments. Note, I do know there are a huge amount of TBD tournaments and I don't think it's relatively wise to insert them due to the fact that TBD tends to mean the tournament won't happen for two months or so which is a long time to remember about a tournament. With each I'll just post a relatively short description of the tournament and what they're about. As for what's currently on the list of upcoming tours.

Type A (Standard)
CAP Tournament - @wh0sy0urpapa - After No Johns ends
RBY Ubers World Championship - Lutra - After Hydreigon Cup ends
Battle City II - Zebraiken and Living So Zambian - After Lower Tier Cup ends
The Triforce Tournament - Genesis7 - After ADV Ubers ends
The Best of 3 Tournament IV - Lunar. After Battle Spot Triples ends

Type B (Close to Standard)

Gods Among Us, LC edition - The Quasar - After No STABs ends
Time Travel Tournament - boudouche - After Starter Overload ends
No More Recycling - Eevee General - After Clear Skies ends

Type C (Non-Standard / Gimmick)

Low Budget Tournament - Valmanway - After Return of the King ends

Thanks for reading through this, and sorry if the presentation is kinda sloppy.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I don't know the policy on releasing tournament details publicly before they begin ( Jellicent ) but I completely approve of this.

I'm cool with this. You'll have to be careful about when tours are ending, though. It'd be unfortunate if you did a writeup for some, only to have them cut due to the tournament already starting. Keep in mind writing deadline is usually about a week before release, so you'll want to keep an eye out for tours that could start too soon for this article.

If you need clarification with any tournaments, you can also ask me about them. I can read Tournament Applications and will be chilling in #thesmog whenever I'm on IRC. Approved ^.^

Haruno

I'm cool with this. You'll have to be careful about when tours are ending, though. It'd be unfortunate if you did a writeup for some, only to have them cut due to the tournament already starting. Keep in mind writing deadline is usually about a week before release, so you'll want to keep an eye out for tours that could start too soon for this article.

If you need clarification with any tournaments, you can also ask me about them. I can read Tournament Applications and will be chilling in #thesmog whenever I'm on IRC. Approved ^.^
Sure Thats fine with me. Due to how tours tend to happen after one ends and finals tend to take a while to happen, I'll leave like a several day grace period for myself. I'll have like a rough draft when I figure out what all these tours are

Haruno

Sure Thats fine with me. Due to how tours tend to happen after one ends and finals tend to take a while to happen, I'll leave like a several day grace period for myself. I'll have like a rough draft when I figure out what all these tours are

A lot of tours have been starting during the finals of the one they're waiting for to clear up the queue faster. I'm not sure if that's always the case, but keep that in mind as well :3

Also, I just gave you Smog access. You should see a new subforum called Article Workshop. Rule of thumb there is to never leak any of its content. Also, check out #thesmog some time if you want to get to the know other peeps who work on the zine. It's a pretty chill place~

Haruno

Apparently due to the incident that you named (tours starting during finals to free up queue) there leaves almost no tours starting anywhere close to recently (within a span of a month or so) barring the No Choice Tournament and The Triforce Tournament, so i was wondering if I should do a write up on those two since I realize the deadline for article submissions is approaching, or do I just leave it due to lack of content since 2 tours starting seems underwhelming, but I'd like advice Jellicent on what courseo f action I should take.

Apparently due to the incident that you named (tours starting during finals to free up queue) there leaves almost no tours starting anywhere close to recently (within a span of a month or so) barring the No Choice Tournament and The Triforce Tournament, so i was wondering if I should do a write up on those two since I realize the deadline for article submissions is approaching, or do I just leave it due to lack of content since 2 tours starting seems underwhelming, but I'd like advice Jellicent on what courseo f action I should take.
Battle Factory is an interesting one that should be starting soon (ORAS RU is in semis atm). No STABs is in finals, so RBY Randbats is coming up soon. Battle City II should also be fairly soon. Depending on how much detail you plan on going into for each tour, there could be enough to work with between those 5. This might be tricky timing, though, especially since something like RBY Randbats will likely start before the issue comes out.

I'm gonna tag Zebraiken and Oglemi for their thoughts, since both are TDs and might have a better idea of what we should expect the upcoming tours to be when we're releasing (probably about a week after writing deadline, so let's say July 6th or 7th)

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In addition you can write about Stay Positive (Alkov) and Battle Factory (Me) they're both close enough to starting to have them not be completely irrelevent.

Take a look in competitve Forums too, iirc LCPL is commencing, there are acouple of other tours are milling about everywehre else.

edit: fuck jellininja

Haruno

Battle Factory is an interesting one that should be starting soon (ORAS RU is in semis atm). No STABs is in finals, so RBY Randbats is coming up soon. Battle City II should also be fairly soon. Depending on how much detail you plan on going into for each tour, there could be enough to work with between those 5. This might be tricky timing, though, especially since something like RBY Randbats will likely start before the issue comes out.

I'm gonna tag Zebraiken and Oglemi for their thoughts, since both are TDs and might have a better idea of what we should expect the upcoming tours to be when we're releasing (probably about a week after writing deadline, so let's say July 6th or 7th)
Yeah, completely disregarded specific subforum tours which are probably worht mentioning especially with lower tier series coming up. I'm willing to put a fair amount of detail for the tours posted and the timing is a bit tricky though I suppose just adding it into the submitted draft and editing it during the week before the smog comes out fixes it. RBY randbats was one I was definitely on the fence/uncertain about since atm they're in round robin finals and the round started 6 days ago, so it really hinges on whether they get a bracket reset or not in terms of rby randbats being posted before the smog since if there isn't, rby randbats will definitely be posted before the smog is up.
In addition you can write about Stay Positive (Alkov) and Battle Factory (Me) they're both close enough to starting to have them not be sompletely irrelevent.

Take a look in competitve Forums too, iirc LCPL is commencing, there are acouple of other tours are milling about everywehre else.

edit: fuck jellininja
Can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)