Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mega Mewtwo X had a physical move pool to speak of, I'd say that MMX would probably be the superior version of Mewtwo to use. A shame that the most it can do right now is use its secondary typing defensively and beat some special walls with Stone Edge/Drain Punch. If he had something like Close Combat, I'd incorporate this guy in a heartbeat, but its a shame my fears about its barren physical move pool limiting its usefulness were well-founded.

Jexulus

MMY can beat down special walls too; that point is irrelevant. The Fighting-type is indeed a godsend preventing Mewtwo from being OHKO'd by Sucker Punch from Yveltal and making Genesect a non-issue which is why MMX is good. Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Taunt / Psychic STAB is all you need from its physical movepool to be deadly. It's quite useful; I don't know where you got the impression that it needed Close Combat. In fact, that would take away from Bulk Up. Drain Punch is great so you can more easily defeat Physical walls like Hippowdon 1v1 allowing you to recover off damage. I would say this MMX is as deadly, if not deadlier, than other Mewtwo forms and sets.

Jexulus

MMY can beat down special walls too; that point is irrelevant. The Fighting-type is indeed a godsend preventing Mewtwo from being OHKO'd by Sucker Punch from Yveltal and making Genesect a non-issue which is why MMX is good. Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Taunt / Psychic STAB is all you need from its physical movepool to be deadly. It's quite useful; I don't know where you got the impression that it needed Close Combat. In fact, that would take away from Bulk Up. Drain Punch is great so you can more easily defeat Physical walls like Hippowdon 1v1 allowing you to recover off damage. I would say this MMX is as deadly, if not deadlier, than other Mewtwo forms and sets.
I'm not saying MMX isn't good, I'm just saying he suffers from a lack of options on the physical side. It's frustrating when a Pokemon I'd like to use when I see promising stats is held back by its move pool (I'm looking at you, Klingklang).

Aegislash loses to two MMX sets: Taunt and Earthquake, both of which are viable.
You shouldn't be setting up with Aegislash in ubers, he doesn't have the bulk, and I personally think Balloon is Aegislash premier uber item, to give him 4 great immunities and wall many threats that use earthquake as coverage.

Aegislash can't beat +1/+2 defense mmx with whatever moves he's using and he can't use Toxic to get around them nor King's Shield to maintain his bulk.

You shouldn't be setting up with Aegislash in ubers, he doesn't have the bulk, and I personally think Balloon is Aegislash premier uber item, to give him 4 great immunities and wall many threats that use earthquake as coverage.
If Air Balloon Aegislash ever takes off, then that pretty much guarantees that Aegislash's only decent counters will be special, since Air Balloon makes it immune to the most common form of non-contact physical damage. Yeesh.

A +2 Psycho Cut is only going 25% at the most, a possible 4hko on shield stance and will be blocked with King Shield.
You are right about Aegislash having a tough time getting around a +2 defense with max hp, but what moveset are you going to run?

Bulk Up - Drain Punch - Psycho Cut - Earthquake(?)

Immune to drain punch and immune to Earthquake with Balloon, you can forgo Earthquake with Taunt, but then psycho cut will be your only move to harm Aegislash. You can also get rid of bulk up and run taunt or another coverage move, but then MMX gets 2hko'd by shadow sneak.

If Air Balloon Aegislash ever takes off, then that pretty much guarantees that Aegislash's only decent counters will be special, since Air Balloon makes it immune to the most common form of non-contact physical damage. Yeesh.

Its my favorite set in ubers, I don't see Air Balloon not taking off in ubers. It might not be that good in OU considering Aegislash can set up better in OU and might appreciate left overs.

Last edited:
Taunt mmx is drain punch, zen/psycho, taunt, bu. Mewtwo may not be doing much but neither is Aegislash without changing that stance of his. He can't KS his way back into shield forme since Taunt blocked that.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
MMX is really suffering from the lack of a strong STAB. The Bulk Up + Taunt set is nice, but even at +1 he isn't OHKOing much, and Pokemon with super effective moves from the special side, such as Xerneas, Arceus Ghost, and Arceus Fairy can easily take one boosted hit and OHKO back or seriously cripple. Dragon Tail users also fare pretty good against it, such as Groudon and Lugia (Lugia can fit both Whirlwind and Dragon Tail or just use Toxic against Xerneas and Groudon just hits it hard with EQ so that another Pokemon can revenge kill, but Giratina and Gira-0 probably won't use Dragon Tail as they will be utter set up bait for Xerneas), taking little damage and phazing MMX out. Even Ho-Oh is an ok emergency check to a +1 MMX without SR up, as it can take one hit and try to burn with Sacred Fire. Or even Yveltal, which can also take a hit at +1 and OHKO back with Oblivion Wing, healing most of the life lost in the process. MMX needs a physical Psystrike.

However, a great boon of MMX that hasn't been mentioned yet (i think) is its ability to act as a great SD Mega Lucario check, one of the best there are actually. Resists Close Combat and is neutral to Crunch, Ice Punch, and Bullet Punch, while having great physical bulk and being able to outspeed and OHKO Mega Lucario with Drain Punch.

MMX is really suffering from the lack of a strong STAB. The Bulk Up + Taunt set is nice, but even at +1 he isn't OHKOing much, and Pokemon with super effective moves from the special side, such as Xerneas, Arceus Ghost, and Arceus Fairy can easily take one boosted hit and OHKO back or seriously cripple. Dragon Tail users also fare pretty good against it, such as Groudon and Lugia (Lugia can fit both Whirlwind and Dragon Tail or just use Toxic against Xerneas and Groudon just hits it hard with EQ so that another Pokemon can revenge kill, but Giratina and Gira-0 probably won't use Dragon Tail as they will be utter set up bait for Xerneas), taking little damage and phazing MMX out. Even Ho-Oh is an ok emergency check to a +1 MMX without SR up, as it can take one hit and try to burn with Sacred Fire. Or even Yveltal, which can also take a hit at +1 and OHKO back with Oblivion Wing, healing most of the life lost in the process. MMX needs a physical Psystrike.

However, a great boon of MMX that hasn't been mentioned yet (i think) is its ability to act as a great SD Mega Lucario check, one of the best there are actually. Resists Close Combat and is neutral to Crunch, Ice Punch, and Bullet Punch, while having great physical bulk and being able to outspeed and OHKO Mega Lucario with Drain Punch.
Look at it as a cleaner once SR is up, with SR and Taunt it's really fucking scary, also Groudon can only phase it once with Dtail, and Dtail Lugia/Dtail Giratina-A aren't very viable considering the amount of Sub Ho-oh's.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Look at it as a cleaner once SR is up, with SR and Taunt it's really fucking scary, also Groudon can only phase it once with Dtail, and Dtail Lugia/Dtail Giratina-A aren't very viable considering the amount of Sub Ho-oh's.
Yeah he will probably be a good cleaner but he still has to be wary about strong specially based Choice Scarf Pokemon at late-game, especially Choice Scarf Xerneas which is looking as a solid Choice Scarf user and can OHKO MMX.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
MMX is really suffering from the lack of a strong STAB. The Bulk Up + Taunt set is nice, but even at +1 he isn't OHKOing much
Have you tried Low Kick? I know it won't be available until PokeBank, but Low Kick is pretty dang strong considering most Ubers are quite heavy. At +1 it cleanly OHKOes 252 HP Kyogre and is a guaranteed 2HKO on standard support Groudon, and 252 HP Dialga is straight OHKOed without any boosts. It's damage output is pretty impressive, to say the least.

Anyways I love M2X, it's a great cleaner once Scarfers and fairies are out of the way. Not being hit SE by Gene or Yveltal's Sucker Punch helps it a lot.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The trouble with Low Kick is the lack of leftovers on a defense-boosting set is kinda problematic. Drain Punch can get around this limitation; the lack of stronger physical STAB than Zen Headbutt is the real issue.

Scarf Xerneas's niche is that it RKs mmx (and yveltal) which makes it viable but beyond that it's not a particularly good Choice Scarf mon. Fairy isn't that spammable when you are choice locked into it and there are so many big resists in the metagame right now.

Regardless, most of those checks you listed can't do much besides throw out a pussy Dragon Tail. There are some decent checks there and some solid ones you didn't quite mention but it's not a very large list. MMX is probably the best Mega right now (who knows what'll happen in pokebank) barring Mega Gengar.

The lack of super strong stab isn't that big a deal when you have virtually a 150 Multi-Plate attack stat and can use Taunt to rob walls of status and recovery.

The 1st post says that Unnerve Mewtwo was never released. That's not true. It was released in Japan in honor of the Genesect movie. It even came with Hurricane, and for some reason Heal Pulse.
Thank you for letting me know. That event didn't happen in the U.S. (in addition to Unnerve being such a bad ability) so I forgot about the Japan release. I'll edit the first page.

...to make things weird, I remembered Hurricane in the "notable moves" section. Guess I've got brain problems!

You know, I get that zen headbutt gets stab, but I can't think of any situation where you're using that move that you couldn't use something else...I'm also noticing that its not really all that easy to get a bulk up in...unless of course I'm just doing it wrong.

I feel like the most threatening things to megatwo X are xerneas, ho-oh, aegis lash, and probably lugia. I'd been running stone edge fairly successfully, as it just maims ho-oh, but I'm almost wondering if there is any merit to using another coverage move over bulk up or zen headbutt, such as bringing earthquake back or maybe even foul play...just cause aegis lash. I assume there is little that can be done against xerneas though.

You know, I get that zen headbutt gets stab, but I can't think of any situation where you're using that move that you couldn't use something else...I'm also noticing that its not really all that easy to get a bulk up in...unless of course I'm just doing it wrong.

I feel like the most threatening things to megatwo X are xerneas, ho-oh, aegis lash, and probably lugia. I'd been running stone edge fairly successfully, as it just maims ho-oh, but I'm almost wondering if there is any merit to using another coverage move over bulk up or zen headbutt, such as bringing earthquake back or maybe even foul play...just cause aegis lash. I assume there is little that can be done against xerneas though.
If you use Foul Play against Aegislash, chances are it'll be in Shield Form, which means it'll be using a weak Attack on a strong Defense.
Still, maybe you could use Poison Jab or Iron Tail for Xerneas.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you use Foul Play against Aegislash, chances are it'll be in Shield Form, which means it'll be using a weak Attack on a strong Defense.
Still, maybe you could use Poison Jab or Iron Tail for Xerneas.
Foul play from ygod still hurts like hell if used against a +2 aegis.

I can't see xerneas setting up on mewtwo and needless to say that at +2/+2/+2 xerneas will outspeed and ohko all mewtwo forms with moonblast.

Aegislash, Lugia, and Ho-Oh should be losing to Taunt, Bulk Up Mewtwo. (unless a burn from Sacred or Dtail from Lugia) Xerneas will probably win one-on-one but you can stop setup with Taunt or just go to one of your checks for it, Xerneas doesn't last that long.

I edited the first post to put in taunt for Bulk-Two X (along with a few other minor changes). Debating on writing a mixed set for it, or a straight up special set for Mewtwo X. Stab Aura Sphere and Psystrike with a better defensive typing seems nice on paper, but it just feels weird to ignore that attack stat.

I really don't know what to do for Mewtwo Y (other than the set listed).

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash, Lugia, and Ho-Oh should be losing to Taunt, Bulk Up Mewtwo. (unless a burn from Sacred or Dtail from Lugia) Xerneas will probably win one-on-one but you can stop setup with Taunt or just go to one of your checks for it, Xerneas doesn't last that long.
176+ Atk Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 272-324 (77.05 - 91.78%)
+1 252 Atk Mewtwo Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 286-337 (68.91 - 81.2%)

M2X needs SR up or Stone Edge to consistently beat Ho-Oh IMO, although Ho-Oh will probably kill itself with recoil if it has to tank a Zen Headbutt. Physically Defensive Ho-Oh is a great M2X check though.

Speaking of Stone Edge, BU + 3 Attacks with Low Kick, Stone Edge, and Earthquake is probably my favorite set for M2X right now. In exchange for losing to Giratina you gain the ability to destroy Ho-Oh and Aegislash while still being able to smack Lugia, and +1 Low Kick murders tons of stuff.

Well yeah, Ho-Oh switches in on the Bulk Up and gets 2HKos, probably OHKO'd with Brave Bird recoil. (except for PhysDef which is why I like using that set :p)

176+ Atk Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 272-324 (77.05 - 91.78%)
+1 252 Atk Mewtwo Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 286-337 (68.91 - 81.2%)

M2X needs SR up or Stone Edge to consistently beat Ho-Oh IMO, although Ho-Oh will probably kill itself with recoil if it has to tank a Zen Headbutt. Physically Defensive Ho-Oh is a great M2X check though.

Speaking of Stone Edge, BU + 3 Attacks with Low Kick, Stone Edge, and Earthquake is probably my favorite set for M2X right now. In exchange for losing to Giratina you gain the ability to destroy Ho-Oh and Aegislash while still being able to smack Lugia, and +1 Low Kick murders tons of stuff.
Physically defensive is still almost always ohko'd by +1 Zen after SR iirc. It's not exactly difficult to keep SR up, despite what some people will say.

It's fairly interesting that Mega Mewtwo X gets the high attack, as it can become an extremely effective mixed attacker. Its offenses become very high; it will be able to run a physical set with special coverage moves to wreck typical physical walls, and has the wide array of coverage moves it needs to do so.

The Y Evolution would tbh be forgettable if it didn't have such high Speed, enabling to outrun the fastest of Ubers threats and some of its Scarfers. I see it utilizing its Special Defense to set up and wreak havoc.

Mega Mewtwo Y's 106/90/120 defenses also lend it to a slightly more defensive build I would think. I mean they're not amazing, but Mega Mewtwo Y is powerful, and that Special Defense could lead to it being a decent switch-in to certain threats, at the very least comfortably allowing it to CM on special attackers.
BTW anyone considered running MegaMewTwo X as Calm Mind user ? He still has great 154 base SpA, good base speed and great second STAB to use, while allow you to beat stuff like Specially Defensive Tyranitar 100% of time thanks to 120 base power Aura Sphere (or if you feel brave, Focus Miss is still there) and Fighting typing makes you take much, much less damage from moves like Scizor or Genesect U-Turn, TTar Crunch or Darkrai Dark Pulse. Also thanks to STAB Fighting you could open up your moveslot for something else than fire attack to cover Steels. Sounds interesting on paper, although I would need to check calculations.

Or Physically Defensive StallTwo MewTwo X with Reflect/Recover/WoW/Taunt sounds decent as well, especially when Fighting provide you resistance to Rock (and you still have for example resistance to Fighting) and you only take neutral from Bug and Dark attacks, making you even better against those types. While at first it may get some heavy competition from Fighting Arceus - it's faster, with Reflect + Wow it's bulkier on physical side and Taunt allows you to beat stall teams as well. Just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)