What do you think is the most underrated Pokemon in OU? (Read the OP and Post #215)

Slowbro@Leftovers
Bold
Regenerator
252 HP/120 SpA/136 Def
-Calm Mind
-Slack Off
-Surf/Fire Blast
-Psyshock

Or the same thing but with CM replaced with Toxic, Fire Blast, Surf, etc. Tons of options.

Regenerator and great defense really makes it a great wall/tank. It also has the ability to take Terrakion's moves, which not many walls have the merit of saying. Not to mention, it has access to Fire Blast, making Nattorei think twice before he switches in unlike other bulky waters.
Decent set, though I ran some calcs and...yeah, it doesn't take Terrakion's moves THAT well. If SR is up, you're not gonna be switching into a CB Terrakion Stone Edge (or X-Scissor, but XS only ups the damage by a small percentage). It will 2HKO without SR (taking SR into account as it will negate Leftovers). Then of course there's the evil of SubSD Terrakion which no Poke can really handle well.

Now, if you can consistently keep those evil pointed stones off the field, then Terrakion will be crying (other than that SubSD set of course). Or of course, you could just switch into a Choiced CC for free.

Mienshao is a beast. The combination of Fake Out+U-Turn+Regenerator is just devastating, allowing you to scout and do free damage every time you switch in. Hi Jump Kick plows through teams like crazy, and Hidden Power Ice handily OHKOes Gliscor and Dragonite (without Multiscale active) with no investment at all. It really should be used more, it's probably one of the best attacking leads out there, and unlike Ambipom, able to last the entire match if used correctly.

Its only downsides are its extreme susceptibility to Gengar and other Ghost types, and its good, but commonly outsped base 105 speed. It is very frail, but that should be an issue with all the U-Turning and healing going on. Just don't keep it in if it can't OHKO something.

A Choice Scarf set is also an amazing revenge killer, OHKOing every single +1 Dragon Dance/Quiver Dance user in the tier (watch out for dragonite though), and in addition, an even better scout.

Mienshao really takes Regenerator abuse to new levels. Just watch out for the game-defining HJK misses which happen way more often than the 90% accuracy would lead you to believe.

I think he meant Non- CB terrakion. Also, you can still hit it on the switch-in.
I did, and I meant careful not calm for the nature my bad. And grass was just more useful for my team since it has trouble with waters than steels. And the resttalk over recover because a toxic spells your doom if you run recover.

Decent set, though I ran some calcs and...yeah, it doesn't take Terrakion's moves THAT well. If SR is up, you're not gonna be switching into a CB Terrakion Stone Edge (or X-Scissor, but XS only ups the damage by a small percentage). It will 2HKO without SR (taking SR into account as it will negate Leftovers). Then of course there's the evil of SubSD Terrakion which no Poke can really handle well.

Now, if you can consistently keep those evil pointed stones off the field, then Terrakion will be crying (other than that SubSD set of course). Or of course, you could just switch into a Choiced CC for free.
Sure it'll 2HKO, but Slowbro will just switch out to a resist(regenerator ftw), to force a switch.
Sub/swords dance/rock gem does indeed own slowbro, but only if scald doesn't burn.

Sure it'll 2HKO, but Slowbro will just switch out to a resist(regenerator ftw), to force a switch.
Sub/swords dance/rock gem does indeed own slowbro, but only if scald doesn't burn.
But short of a double switch, how is Slowbro coming in on a Terrakion without a Sub? Unless for some strange reason, it thought a SD was much more pressing at the time. That, or in on the revenge, but I doubt Terrakion would stay in on it.

And I did forget about Regenerator so that does take away CB's complete effectiveness (unless a lot of hazards are up).

@Sautsuofleaves: Even if I switch into a stone edge and I see that its taking a lot of damage, I just switch out to a resist (stone edge is a lot easier to tank) and get the +33 %. The Regenerator ability is prized for a reason. Although, you're right. It does take damage and X-Scissor is NOT a good thing!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I did, and I meant careful not calm for the nature my bad. And grass was just more useful for my team since it has trouble with waters than steels. And the resttalk over recover because a toxic spells your doom if you run recover.
That's a good point about Toxic, but if you only run a Grass attack then you're turning yourself into setup bait for any of the many special attackers that resist Grass (as well as some physical attackers that can outpace your defensive boosts, like SD Scizor).

Oh, and Sub Hydreigon:
Hydreigon@Expert Belt
252 SpA/204 Spe/52 HP
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Fire Blast
-Substitute

Hydreigon, by nature, forces a lot of switches. With this set, you can sub up while they switch to a counter, and usually nail them hard or even kill them. For example, Heatran, a common switch in, can be nailed hard and safely by a surf behind a sub. Being safe from a Scizor BP or a D-Nite ES is also nice. Pretty much gets a sub too easily.

My vote is for Moxie MixMence.

While base 100 Speed isn't as great as it used to be, Mence can still pull off a mid-late game sweep once speedier threats are eliminated thanks to great attack stats and STAB Draco Meteor + Outrage.

While Life Orb recoil means that Mence is more susceptible to weak priority attacks he can still utilize Moxie to it's full potential because he has the liberty of switching attacks and thus building momentum. I swear, Scarfed Moxie MixMence makes no sense man!

Toxicroak. I don't see it often, and infact, it's pretty near UU. Toxicroak's SD Set is extremely deadly if you aren't prepared for it, such as by having a Jellicent, but that's just about the only method of preparing for this beast. Toxicroak is also a bitch to take down if you run Rain, as it pretty much sets up on and OHKO's just about every single one of your Pokemon after an LO and SD Boost, backed by moves like Cross Chop, Ice Punch, and Sucker Punch for faster Pokemon. It also has decent bulk too, being able to take a hit from CB Scizor and then OHKO back with +2 Cross Chop while living the LO Recoil, on top of constant 12.5% HP Recovery from Rain, which nullifies LO Damage.

Volbeat. I run Encore/tail glow/sub/baton pass. I can't even tell you how good priority encore is. On top of already covering any entry hazard or stat up move( I can't tell you how often an opponent has tried for plus 6 to wait out the encore, only to be re-encored while I pass +6 and a sub) when coupled with sub, encore will give you a set up oppertunity against any status move, and any move that doesn't do 25% damage. Not the easist when your a volbeat, but you've got no reason not to run max defensive investment. I went with special, because its his naturally higher stat. Rapid spin is still the easist, but that also lets me take weak ice beams or neutral hidden powers. This includes hp fire, because I run rain so I can baton pass into:

Hydrarest lapras. Bold max hp, max def. Thunder, surf, ice beam rest. Leftovers. This pokemon isn't underrated in the fact that it has a rather legitimate list of flaws. Weaknesses to rock, fighting, electric and even grass aren't very appealing. Without a boost, your attacks aren't getting through any pokemon with recovery not named gliscor (though you do have icebeam to spam in a pinch). Slow as molasses and really hampered by loss of weather war round out his cons. Because of this, his pro is usually completely ignored. And that pro is, once he is in, there are very few pokemon that can force him out. This makes him a great candidate for the plus 3 that volbeat passes with a scary amount of ease. Once in, you only have to watch out for terrakion, (who can't reliably switch in) really strong stab super effective hits, (ie not volt switch, or scizors super power barring crits) and blissey/chansey who can't do anything back but pp stall you. Ferrothorn, phazors and set up pokemon with recovery are also a problem for non-boosted lapras. Often, your opponent finds themselves realizing nothing they have left can take more than ~30% out of lapras, so they attempt to prey on lapras' speed and sacrifice the pokemon necessary to stack up this damage, only for lapras to live a hit in the red, then rest all the way back up.

tl;dr- Volbeat is really underrated and hydrarest lapras can function with team support

Volbeat. I run Encore/tail glow/sub/baton pass. I can't even tell you how good priority encore is. On top of already covering any entry hazard or stat up move( I can't tell you how often an opponent has tried for plus 6 to wait out the encore, only to be re-encored while I pass +6 and a sub) when coupled with sub, encore will give you a set up oppertunity against any status move, and any move that doesn't do 25% damage. Not the easist when your a volbeat, but you've got no reason not to run max defensive investment. I went with special, because its his naturally higher stat. Rapid spin is still the easist, but that also lets me take weak ice beams or neutral hidden powers. This includes hp fire, because I run rain so I can baton pass into:

Hydrarest lapras. Bold max hp, max def. Thunder, surf, ice beam rest. Leftovers. This pokemon isn't underrated in the fact that it has a rather legitimate list of flaws. Weaknesses to rock, fighting, electric and even grass aren't very appealing. Without a boost, your attacks aren't getting through any pokemon with recovery not named gliscor (though you do have icebeam to spam in a pinch). Slow as molasses and really hampered by loss of weather war round out his cons. Because of this, his pro is usually completely ignored. And that pro is, once he is in, there are very few pokemon that can force him out. This makes him a great candidate for the plus 3 that volbeat passes with a scary amount of ease. Once in, you only have to watch out for terrakion, (who can't reliably switch in) really strong stab super effective hits, (ie not volt switch, or scizors super power barring crits) and blissey/chansey who can't do anything back but pp stall you. Ferrothorn, phazors and set up pokemon with recovery are also a problem for non-boosted lapras. Often, your opponent finds themselves realizing nothing they have left can take more than ~30% out of lapras, so they attempt to prey on lapras' speed and sacrifice the pokemon necessary to stack up this damage, only for lapras to live a hit in the red, then rest all the way back up.

tl;dr- Volbeat is really underrated and hydrarest lapras can function with team support
The problem with Volbeat is that it has no way to deal with Phazers. Like, at all. It's relative lack of speed also means that it frequently gets KOd before able to pull off a pass. Any decent opponent is going to switch out after being encored, leaving Volbeat either at plus 3 but unable to pass, or behind a sub but unable to boost up.

No argument with hydra-rest lapras, a beast when played properly.

Not only did you not give any reasons, but you picked a Poké in the 40 most common used in OU. Relatively low usage compared to something like Dragonite or Scizor doesn't make it underrated. Cloyster is undoubtedly a good sweeper, but it's priority weak and it can be countered

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Slowbro@Leftovers
Bold
Regenerator
252 HP/120 SpA/136 Def
-Calm Mind
-Slack Off
-Surf/Fire Blast
-Psyshock

Or the same thing but with CM replaced with Toxic, Fire Blast, Surf, etc. Tons of options.

Regenerator and great defense really makes it a great wall/tank. It also has the ability to take Terrakion's moves, which not many walls have the merit of saying. Not to mention, it has access to Fire Blast, making Nattorei think twice before he switches in unlike other bulky waters.
I love slowbro. He's pretty much the best counter to conkeldurr. However, I use Psychic instead of psyshock, because I don't think psyshock can 2HKO at full health after a bulk up. I also really like escavalier. Unlike scizor, he can actually survive HP fire from a lot of pokemon (most notably celebi) even when it's not raining.

I love slowbro. He's pretty much the best counter to conkeldurr. However, I use Psychic instead of psyshock, because I don't think psyshock can 2HKO at full health after a bulk up. I also really like escavalier. Unlike scizor, he can actually survive HP fire from a lot of pokemon (most notably celebi) even when it's not raining.
Escavalier, while indeed hard hitting, struggles to get past any steel in the game, let alone a defensive steel. Gliscor and Dragonite often reduce him to set-up bait, to name two prominent non-steel pokemon. In addition, his STABs are resisted by fire types, giving chandy and darm easy switch-ins. Finally, his speed leaves him easily revenged killed by virtually anything carrying a fire move. Heracross performs banded-wallbreaking better, with better coverage and higher speed.

tehy

Banned deucer.

See, the problem here being that if they do have a terrakion, they'll sacrifice a pokemon and use it. And having a poke pass plus six in a stat to you, as well as having a beneficial weather, means that you have a rather large advantage. What prevents the enemy from wearing you down, then switching in t-tar on your rest? Or hippow, with roar. Or abomasnow with wood hammer.

I believe Sharpedo is a very underrated threat in the current metagame. Although it requires quite a bit of support to reach its full potential (it needs rain and opposing priority eliminated) nothing enjoys taking a stab,rain boosted waterfall/hydro pump to the face. Speed boost is wonderful for it as well, allowing it to outspeed things it should normally be slower than.

I would say Wobb.

Traps the enemy, Can take a bit of a beating, and with a little prediction can return the beating twofold on the enemy.

Wobb (barring Shed shell and U-turn/Volt switch) turns a Pokemon battle into Thunderdome.

Two men Enter, One Man Leaves

I would say Wobb.

Traps the enemy, Can take a bit of a beating, and with a little prediction can return the beating twofold on the enemy.

Wobb (barring Shed shell and U-turn/Volt switch) turns a Pokemon battle into Thunderdome.

Two men Enter, One Man Leaves
Wob can switch.

I have to support the slowbro mention, its an absolutely fantastic pokemon that gets amazing bulk, regenerator, and slack off to boot. Heck sometimes I don't even used slack off. It takes pretty much any physical hit and deals damage right back, it definantly needs more use.

The slowbro I use:

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Maximum defense to do what it does best. Psychic to dispatch of Conkeldurr, Terrakion. Scald as regular burning hax stab, and ice beam for dragons, and slack off to heal.

Wob can switch.

I have to support the slowbro mention, its an absolutely fantastic pokemon that gets amazing bulk, regenerator, and slack off to boot. Heck sometimes I don't even used slack off. It takes pretty much any physical hit and deals damage right back, it definantly needs more use.

The slowbro I use:

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Maximum defense to do what it does best. Psychic to dispatch of Conkeldurr, Terrakion. Scald as regular burning hax stab, and ice beam for dragons, and slack off to heal.
Slowbro is a beast pokemon. Walls physical attackers left and right, and when it's done, switches out with near full HP, ready to wall you another day.

However, it's probably only UU because it is handily beat by the ever so common Rotom-W/Scizor Volt-Turn core. But that's easily fixed with some team support. Really, Slowbro is probably on of the best bulky waters around.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I posted about Slowbro a while back... Ah, here it is.
March statistics thread said:
Also, in response to Jimera0 and Pwnemon, Slowbro is pretty much a god when it comes to defense, but perhaps the qualities it lacks are why people use other bulky Waters. Rotom-W (Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch and Levitate), Jellicent (WOW, Water Absorb and a Ghost-typing), Vaporeon (Water Absorb, Wish) and several other Pokemon including Politoed and Tentacruel all have something that Slowbro doesn't that can prove more useful to a team. I feel like that's how it is with several OU walls. Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Gliscor and even Dragonite all have a huge advantage in typing or ability that sets them apart from the competition. Other Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Slowbro, Cresselia and company might be bulkier, but they're missing something unique to them or they have some unfortunate problem with their typing that prevents them from being top-tier defensive Pokemon.
That's my issue with Slowbro - it sits there and takes hits all day, but doesn't really have any tricks up its sleeve.

yea it does!

1.regenerator: this alone makes slowbro great (along with tangrowth) what other pokemon can gain 33 Percent of its health just by switching out? this makes things very great for slowbro, as it can take a hit and gtfo.

2 typing: sure, jellicent has similar typing, (resistance/immunity to fighting) but pyschic typing is a huge plus for slowbro (also sometimes bad but wtv)

3 movepool: i would like to meet a water type with fire blast, please. (gtfo octrilley and arceus)

yea it does!

1.regenerator: this alone makes slowbro great (along with tangrowth) what other pokemon can gain 33 Percent of its health just by switching out? this makes things very great for slowbro, as it can take a hit and gtfo.

2 typing: sure, jellicent has similar typing, (resistance/immunity to fighting) but pyschic typing is a huge plus for slowbro (also sometimes bad but wtv)

3 movepool: i would like to meet a water type with fire blast, please. (gtfo octrilley and arceus)
I don't think he means that Slowbro doesn't have any positives, but just as a wall it doesn't provide a lot of utility to a team other than the rarely used Thunder Wave and Trick (Ferro=spikes utility, jelli=spin blocking, Gliscor= best toxic staller/stall breaker, slowbro=nothing). Basically all Slowbro does is tank hits and hopefully have a supereffective move against an opposing target with its good coverage with the standard being scald-psychic-ice beam.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Or get in a burn with scald. Besides, scald psychic ice beam isn't lol'd at by much on an offensive team, basically celebi somewhat or starmie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)