Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When will be the next oppertunity to challenge the Frontier? Also why do some users have * and + after thier username?
The Smogon Frontier challenges should start up again during the summer of this year. Around the same time as usual.

The * and + is a new system to differentiate Moderators/ SMods/ Admins.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have been experimenting with a TR setting Celebii. What is the best set and item for one?
I would highly advise against using TR Celebi; it's a bit superfluous. It's 100 base speed is certainly workable and can outspeed many threats in OU without Trick Room, from Heatran to Haxorus. If you're intent on using it, however, I'd recommend running a modified Nasty Plot Sweeper set, with Trick Room / Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power or Psychic. Make sure you use Life Orb, because you're going to need the extra power. This set is going to be significantly more weak than the Nasty Plot set, so be careful. You could also potentially through U-turn or Baton Pass in there somewhere, which is an interesting idea. Celebi might be faster under Trick Room than your opponent; perhaps she can take a hit or absorb status for the sweeper you intend to switch in. But overall, I would recommend almost any other Trick Room user over Celebi. Bronzong, Metagross, and Porygon2 are all good choices to fill this role. Hope that helps and best of luck!

I think I know this answer, but I'll ask anyway: If a Pokemon with Trace switches in on a Pokemon with Magic Guard or Levitate, will it take Spikes damage on the switch (does the ability activate before hazard damage)?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think I know this answer, but I'll ask anyway: If a Pokemon with Trace switches in on a Pokemon with Magic Guard or Levitate, will it take Spikes damage on the switch (does the ability activate before hazard damage)?
I bet you know the correct answer! According the the B&W Research Thread, all abilities take place AFTER entry hazard damage; click here for the documented answer of said question. So just to clarify, Porygon2 switching in to Levitate Bronzong will take Spikes damage first and then Trace the ability Levitate. Hope this helps!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@youngster789 That completely slipped my mind. THANKS :D
Actually, youngster is wrong. Everstone only works through breeding. Outside of RNG, there is no way to force the nature of a Pokemon in Entree Forest.

Why toxicroak has 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def spread?

with 244 EV it will give you can make only 3 subs.
That doesn't mean anything. You have Leftovers and (if under Rain) Dry Skin recovery, so in theory you can new Subs until you run out of PP for Substitute.

haunter

Banned deucer.
depends on the rest of your team. Ice punch covers Gliscor, crunch covers Reuniclus and Jellicent, stone edge is for Gyarados.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I prefer Ice Punch though -- as Gliscor is a terrible person and Gyarados is handled easily by a number of OU (same with Jellicent). Also a bonus of Ice Punch is it is a neutral hit on Gyarados and Ferrothorn -- so you don't have to play prediction games that much

Birkal

We have the technology.
So, why this IV? Why doesn't simple 252 HP/4 Def/252 ATK
This is actually a really valid question, in my opinion. I've read through the entire Toxicroak Analysis topic without finding any real reasoning for this. While I normally run a Swords Dance set where I maximize Atk and Spe stats, I would envision myself maxing out the 252 HP EVs as well on the Bulk Up and SubPunch sets. It's fine that we're not hitting a Leftovers number because the weather is always going to mess with Toxicroak's HP; it's either going up from the Drizzle you're basically required to run with it, or because the opponent switched the weather on you (in which case, all three will be doing residual damage thanks to Dry Skin in the sun).

So to answer your original question, I supposed I would run 252 HP EVs as well. However, I've fired off a VM to Omicron (he's the original analysis writer and an overall cool guy). Perhaps he'll make a guest appearance here and state his reasoning so we can all learn =D!

I believe the EVs are to maximize recovery from Leftovers and the rain, and 12 Speed outspeeds something that escapes my mind atm...

Wow upon looking back, that analysis was terrible lol

Chose my team, now how to actually create it?

How is everyone making their competitive teams? I want to start making a lot of teams for this gen, and I don't know what's considered "legal" for playing in tournaments and who is considered legal to use.

Last gen, I created a bunch of pokes with perfect IVs and natures on pokesav. But I feel like it's cheating too much this gen to have the perfect nature, dream world ability, IVs, and everything. Am I wrong?

Is the only good way to do it the old school way of grinding in the actual game or am I just being naive to how many people are creating perfect pokemon?

Thanks for help. Am fairly new to competitive battling and team-building.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/uber
This is the banlist, this pokèmon are not ''legal'' in standard play
To sum it up they are several metagame who are the more focused: OU, Uber, UU, RU, NU

In the Uber play all pokèmon are legal
In OU play all Pokèmon bar uber are legal
in UU play are pokèmon bar uber, ou and bl are legal
in RU all pokèmon bar uber, ou, bl, uu and bl2 are legal
in NU all pokèmon bar uber, ou, bl, uu, bl2 and ru are legal
If you want to see the ''ranking'' of the 'mon you're interested in check this:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

As for the pokesav some people consider it fine, others not, really it's just a matter of personal preference.

If, when breeding pokemon, I give each parent a different power item, will the offspring have both IV's? Is this also true for Gen IV games?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not sure if it never will or if there's a 25% chance. Give me a moment and I'll check.

EDIT: I can't find it in the research thread. I MIGHT have gotten both IVs to be passed down once in Platinum, but don't go off of my shoddy memory. Assume it doesn't work for now.

I know, shitty answer.

Having trouble connecting to Pokecheck, and the main site doesn't help much. I erased all of my connections and turned off all internet-using devices. This is so I'd only have one connection, and because it didn't work before when I had my computer on. So then I set the default connection to my home's SSID and WEP Key, then put in the primary DNS number on the site. I tested the connection, and it worked.
So then I go into the game and try to connect to the GTS. I get a three-bar signal for a few seconds, then it fails to go on Wi-Fi and gives me error code 52101 (put number down from memory). When I went back into Wi-Fi settings and tested the same connection again, it didn't work. What happened?

EDIT: Forgot to add this, I did create an account on the site before setting the connection up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)