Prop 8: Great riddance, or GREATEST riddance?

So yeah I found this video completely hilarious and was laughing throughout the entire thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7O3mExIZHI&feature=player_embedded

On a more serious note, if I was female I would be very offended. "The judge says that men and women have the same roles in a marriage." So does this mean that they shouldn't and we should go back to the days where women cook + clean, fetch the husband the morning paper, and take care of the kids 24/7? If so, I might just turn straight cause that seems like heaven.

Also, I think this is the only 'professional' ad I've ever seen that uses "crazy and scary." lmao

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So yeah I found this video completely hilarious and was laughing throughout the entire thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7O3mExIZHI&feature=player_embedded

On a more serious note, if I was female I would be very offended. "The judge says that men and women have the same roles in a marriage." So does this mean that they shouldn't and we should go back to the days where women cook + clean, fetch the husband the morning paper, and take care of the kids 24/7? If so, I might just turn straight cause that seems like heaven.

Also, I think this is the only 'professional' ad I've ever seen that uses "crazy and scary." lmao
While this video is a little out there, I can elaborate on the "The judge says that men and women have the same roles in marriage" thing. And how gender affects child development. I can reference a Psychology class I took that describes Freud's theory of child development in which both the dad and the mom have very specific roles (I can't go into details on this because I am not a professional). To give this some real life relevence, notice that many adult criminals grew up without a father. So I can't understand the issue here, in fact I think there should be scientific research into the roles of the parents' genders before going ahead with gay adoptions. I would actually disapprove of single parent adoptions on the same grounds, if the research found that it was necessary to have a man and a woman for the child to develop properly. I understand how this can sound a bit offensive, but it is an issue that deserves attention, and there's no bigotry in looking into it.

Reverb

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Notice also that many adult law-abiding citizens grew up without a father.
Maybe I should clarify this, a quick statistics search would show you that the criminal rates for those who grew up without a father are significantly higher.

Maybe I should clarify this, a quick statistics search would show you that the criminal rates for those who grew up without a father are significantly higher.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Perhaps the majority of people missing fathers are missing fathers due to something like gang violence. In which case, it is the local environment that makes them more likely to be criminals, and not the lack of a father.

I was just giving an example, so I am not saying that is the case. I am just pointing out that statistics alone prove nothing.

Reverb

Correlation does not imply causation.

Perhaps the majority of people missing fathers are missing fathers due to something like gang violence. In which case, it is the local environment that makes them more likely to be criminals, and not the lack of a father.

I was just giving an example, so I am not saying that is the case. I am just pointing out that statistics alone prove nothing.
Hence why I am recommending a detailed study.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Criminal rates are higher for black juveniles too. Maybe we shouldn't let black people get married?

I realize the temptation to score some quick wins on points like that is strong, but please think about the implications of your arguments before deciding to post them. Even if you could derive a causal relationship from statistics like that (you can't, especially given the rather obvious confounding variables in this case) it still doesn't justify the position you have chosen to adopt.

For a more accurate rebuttal, assuming that statistic is true, there's a very simple explanation for it. "No father" more commonly means "raised by a single mother" than "raised by lesbians". It even seems likely that the amount of people raised by lesbian couples in the past few decades is insignificant enough to have any real statistical impact. Though a single parent can successfully raise a child on their own, a single parent home is more likely to be a broken home with money problems. A poor, broken home of any kind (single mom, single dad, mom + dad, mom + mom, dad + dad) is more likely to produce criminals than a well-off family with two moms.

And Freud? You mean the man that died 70 years ago? Obviously I'm not trying to say that none of his theories hold any relevance any more, but obviously it's possible that his theories can grow outdated. Unfortunately I'm not quite as knowledgeable as a high schooler who took a psych class so I'm not going to comment on it much beyond that.

While this video is a little out there, I can elaborate on the "The judge says that men and women have the same roles in marriage" thing. And how gender affects child development. I can reference a Psychology class I took that describes Freud's theory of child development in which both the dad and the mom have very specific roles (I can't go into details on this because I am not a professional). To give this some real life relevence, notice that many adult criminals grew up without a father. So I can't understand the issue here, in fact I think there should be scientific research into the roles of the parents' genders before going ahead with gay adoptions. I would actually disapprove of single parent adoptions on the same grounds, if the research found that it was necessary to have a man and a woman for the child to develop properly. I understand how this can sound a bit offensive, but it is an issue that deserves attention, and there's no bigotry in looking into it.
that doesn't really work. freud's theories are fairly hard to apply here because there is no doubt that they are dependent upon the mother and father contrasting each other; it is not as though having two fathers and no mother would have cause the child to have the exact same relationship with each father. it's much more roles than actual genders (barring the psychosexual shit that i will concede i know very little about).

also for your point about juvenile delinquency in regards to children with no fathers, that again doesn't work because so much of that can be attributed to having a single parent, not lack of a father. having the moral/financial/emotional support of a second parent would obviously help a tremendous amount regardless of gender.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As has been mentioned countless times now, a single parent upbringing is usually due to a broken family. A single parent adopting a child is much better than being stuck without any parents at all. I find it hard to believe that anyone would oppose a loving single parent from adopting a child.

Reverb

If I may reiterate myself (since none of us are advanced enough in the field of psychology lol), I want this studied. It could turn out that there is no developmental issue with non-for lack of a better word-traditional marriages. Or vice-versa. I just think it's something worth researching.

EDIT:

Criminal rates are higher for black juveniles too. Maybe we shouldn't let black people get married?

I realize the temptation to score some quick wins on points like that is strong, but please think about the implications of your arguments before deciding to post them. Even if you could derive a causal relationship from statistics like that (you can't, especially given the rather obvious confounding variables in this case) it still doesn't justify the position you have chosen to adopt.
Don't belittle my argument, the case with black people is that a greater percent of African Americans live in bad environments that promote crime. I am speaking purely in terms of psychology, because it is interesting how upper class single parent child crime rates are still higher than upper class two parent child crime rates. Also, I didn't adopt any opinion, I just think this should be looked at, as I have said multiple times. I have nothing against gay people, so don't try to imply that I am being bigoted, because that really irks me.

So far, studies already show that same gender parents bring up their kids similarly to straight parents, and their children experience no unusual effects. Of course, the only difference is that their kids may occasionally get harassed for having gay parents but that's hardly enough justification to suspect that the said kids are at a disadvantage.

Though I understand your point, Reverb, however, I think you're more cautious than needed to be.

And Freud's theory is really just a ton of BS. Oral, Anal, Phallic, and Genital are the stages of life? Seriously?

this is great. it is a victory and a small step on the path to equal rights and treatment for all. as a canadian it doesnt affect me directly given that same-sex marriage is federally allowed here. but its great to hear some states are getting into the 21st century on the issue of equality. Edit: this is actually my first post here. i hope to contribute well to all aspects of the site. have fun all (^.^)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
General note:

To those claiming to have defeated my arguments numerous times, that is just a hand-wave. I try to be very thorough and use multiple techniques, some of which are more long-winded and explicative than others. There is no argument against the fact the majority of Americans view marriage a certain way in their hearts and do not consider judges the arbiter of marriage's definition, which is the central thesis of my view on the matter. That is how a large portion of the country views marriage, and whether it is latent bigotry or no is irrelevant. You have as much of a chance of changing how people view marriage by fiat as you do changing how people view the sky's color with the same.

Everything else is largely my view on any of the various policy implications, historical aftereffects, judicial prudence and limits, and related areas such as other policies which have weakened/strengthened marriage and general familiy dynamics.

Such as? Making you and your friend uncomfortable?
No MrIndigo, I had already related the story of Catholic Adoption Services in Massachusetts being closed down because of litigation from a gay couple who *knew* there were other adoption services that would cater to them and *knew* the Catholic service would not support their adoption on religious grounds. I also reiterated the case of a preacher in Canada banned from speaking based on his religious principles.

I just said it again but would you also like me to post it a third time, just in case you think I give a damn about being "made unconfortable?" What is your hangup with gay people, since you're the one talking about how uncomfortable it makes people.

I agree here, I think. Certainly in America, because of your peculiar way of handling rights/immunities, if not the rest of the Western world.

But there's a kicker; religious liberty in this context is about enforcing your religion on other people to their detriment, and gay marriage is only concerned with giving rights to a class without stripping them from others. That's why gay marriage will probably trump religious liberty in this area.
No, the only people forcing anything on anyone is judicial radicals forcing their definition of marriage on the rest of us. Those activists believe it is a statement of fact that gender is irrelevant to the marriage relationship (in fact, directly per the "facts" the judge in the most recent case found), but most Americans believe that gender is definitional to the relationship. They believe this because they also believe marriage has an actual function outside of government recognition of love or whatever liberals believe the definition of marriage is (because they will not define what they believe marriage is, only that opposing their definition is bigoted.) They won't go further then to say it is "a right" and it "deserves equal protection," but not once will they tell you specifically what marriage actually represents.

Now I have characterized the liberal definition of marriage as meaning "the recognition of love by any two consenting adults" and no one seems to have corrected me, outside appeals that perhaps there are a multitude of views in the middle of my two main defined camps. I have then asked the obvious followup as to why "recognition of love" is a sufficient basis for granting government benefits. No answer on that one so far. I am exceedingly meticulous in this discussion because marriage is important to me beyond using it as a bludgeon to attack people who don't agree with my definition. I will undoubtedly be teaching a CCD class about the sacraments and marriage will of course be covered. Technically I only need the religious component but I prefer to have a mulitfaceted approach.

In the USA, the understanding of constitutional rights (like freedom of religion etc.) is generally that they are reposited within each individual and excercisable against every other individual. The context of rights is very much about enforcing them upon other people, i.e. doing some action against another person and then using your right to prevent them from criticising/responding/punishing depending on the act in question.

Since other common law countries do not take this particular approach to legal rights (for instance in Australia, constitutional rights act as a bar against government legislative power, not as causes of action or defences), it may not create the clash of religious liberty v. other liberties.
Canada's campaign to ban speech the Canadian government does not approve of leads me to believe that clashes of religious liberty and other liberties are at the forefront of their civic debates, not just in gay marriage but in others. For example Canada remains the only Western nation with the black mark of prosecuting a paper for publishing the Mohammed Cartoons. Whatever their definition of constitutional rights, it would seem either a) speech is not among them or b) speech takes the lowest preference. As religious expression is often synonymous with speech, I worry about it the most.

Um, proof of this "They'll make the 'bigots' suffer" please? There will be some gay activists who do this, I'm sure, but the vast majority have no incentive to go further than marriage. There's no gay conspiracy; they're not all united together as an army of heathens to bring down the Church.
Again I cite the eHarmony suit as well as Catholic Adoption Services in Massachusetts. Frivolous lawsuits are the bread-and-butter of these activists. They have done so without a legal basis, so why would strengthing that basis not embolden them? In previous topics I have also delved into the infiltration of schools to attempt to introduce and normalize various sexual behaviors at younger ages, which is another branch of the activist movement. That usually enters infertile discussion ground though so I'll say nothing more than it exists, and it is an attempt to do an end-run around religious upbringing at home by centralizing that aspect of education in the schools regardless of parental complaints. There are many forms of attack the activists employ, and officiated marriage is just a springboard for their more radical ideas. It is not as if they are physically unable to have relationships that match the general moral characteristics of marriage already, it's the imprimatuer of government approval that is the objective. As marriage has the implication of consummation, the activists now have free reign to teach how they "consummate" as a legitimate discussion topic in a curriculum, for example.

This is specifically why I do not support gay marriage but do support all of the visitation, inheritence, and other benefits associated with marriage applied to homosexual couples at the individual level (which is where these benefits should be applied anyway, for gays and straights alike). This makes it impossible for gay activists to use clearly unfair individual examples as an argument that we must recognize gay marriages to guarantee these rights. By removing the substantive concerns away from the socially heavy word "marriage," we preserve the latter as most Americans view and live it while securing the former, as no significant opposition to it exists.

I try to be honest to a fault. I also try to avoid insulting people despite their apparent need to diagnose my mental state and suggest which fears I have, or their suggestions I somehow hate people or are made uncomfortable by them. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is the disturbing ease with which people with certain leanings do not afford me the same courtesy I afford them.

Parenting is a lot more complicated than you' seem to think. Very little stems on whether Bob has a mummy and a daddy, and much more about what their mummy and/or daddy do in raising them.
Parenting is pretty simple when your only standard is "the kids are doin' fine." In reality, there are volumes of studies on fatherhood in the home and its immense positive impact when present and impense negative impact when absent (I point to fathers as absentee fatherhood is the greatest immediate social problem in family structure.). A good society must demand that children have a mother and father in the home if at all possible. No waffling, no pretending that "it's complicated" and that it can be fudged because "the kids are doin' fine anyway." I don't support substandard societial notions, and any family outside the mother/father model already has serious inherent problems. Being "better than nothing" is not a good enough standard. Should there be a condition outside of the mother/father model, it should be by happenstance not official policy.

Because it's your God-given right to tell people how to live their life.
MrIndigo, which political party is it that supports all sorts of bans on currently legal activities? Which one wants to ban smoking, the consumption of trans fats, and inhibit all other forms of choice (school choice esp.)? Which one wants to force you to purchase health insurance under penalty of law? I sincerely doubt you have a problem with "telling people how to live their life" via laws when it is your preferred policies being implemented. (I am to take it you live outside the States, but I'm sure you have at least one equivalent, if not two or more). I have a problem when one person in a black robe believes it is their duty to define social institutions for huge numbers of Americans. That is not the place of a judge; judges are not social arbiters. If the judge had decided that the state of California is not required to recognize gay marriage as gay marriage is not part of the social understanding of marriage, would you view that judge as a hero or a monster?

Such a judge is a monster regardless of how he decides if he makes a decision in that manner. I oppose giving judges that authority. You apparently support judges having that authority, but only if they decide in a way that alligns with your beliefs.

Or am I wrong, and you do not believe judges should be social arbiters?

Court-made law is law. That's how common law countries work. You want different, move elsewhere. In fact, I'd argue it's even more democratic in the USA than in any other Western country, because you guys actually elect your judges, which is the primary reason people argue statutory laws are more legitimate than court decisions as binding legal policy.
Courts in the United States are supposed to interpret laws, not make them. Whenever courts make laws they are acting as a legislature, which is entirely outside their constitutional duties. Also not all judges are elected in the US, many of them are appointed (as this judge was, being part of the federal judiciary).

*Continued ramble* :)

Courts in the United States are supposed to interpret laws, not make them. Whenever courts make laws they are acting as a legislature, which is entirely outside their constitutional duties. Also not all judges are elected in the US, many of them are appointed (as this judge was, being part of the federal judiciary).

This activist judge was appointed by that other activist, Ronald Reagan.

And he didn't "make" the law. He ruled on a law approved by a narrow majority. He interpreted it as unconstitutional, perfectly within his job description. Making a law would be saying, "From now on, everyone must wear purple on Friday because I am a judge and that's what I do." He ruled that forcing everyone to wear purple on Friday was against the constitution, which is completely different.

The beauty of the American Constitution is that the Judges were given these abilities to protect against the tyranny of the majority. That is, people deserve to have their rights so long as it doesn't oppress or threaten a minority. In this case, taking a way the rights of the minority, gays, does oppress them, which makes the law unconstitutional. The notion that gays and straights can be separate but equal is inherently flawed, as nothing is ever equal and separate. The only way to ensure that both gays and straights have the same rights and enjoy the freedom that is inherent in America is to allow them to have the same rights.

I'm going to go ahead and throw in some more stuff later, but I have to go for the time being.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Don't belittle my argument, the case with black people is that a greater percent of African Americans live in bad environments that promote crime.
You know, if you had extended this whole "hey there could be alternative explanations for misleading statistics" thing to your argument regarding crime rates for single-parent households and the comparison to homosexual households, my post would not have been necessary.

I am speaking purely in terms of psychology, because it is interesting how upper class single parent child crime rates are still higher than upper class two parent child crime rates. Also, I didn't adopt any opinion, I just think this should be looked at, as I have said multiple times. I have nothing against gay people, so don't try to imply that I am being bigoted, because that really irks me.
That has nothing to do with psychology, it has to do with a simple fact of single-parent households. Children with one parent have that parent necessarily devote less time to the child due to various issues (increased need to work longer hours for income, other obligations or hobbies) which will obviously negatively influence that child's growth and maturity. Two homosexuals parents do not have this issue since...there are two of them. Basically the fundamental problem with child rearing in a single-parent household has to do with lack of enough attention paid to the child, which is actually rather common in upper-class households in general. It has little to do with gender roles...unless, as I said before, a bunch of dicks try to make fun of the kid for having gay parents.

I'm surprised that as someone who studied psychology your professors managed to teach you outdated freudian gender roles but not the fundamentals of abnormal child psychology in a single-parent setting. I wasn't trying to imply that you were a bigot, however, merely that your position that homosexual parents are somehow "harmful" to a child is not backed by substantial evidence.

Deck Knight said:
To those claiming to have defeated my arguments numerous times, that is just a hand-wave
...I don't normally call people out on shit like this, but....what? You didn't reply to http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2887144&postcount=106my post where I already addressed nearly every single point you have made since then (except for the ones you made in this post which...I will address if you really want me to, but frankly they're kinda stupid, like "why should the government grant benefits for the legal recognition of love"...uh because it does to heterosexuals?!).

I mean, it's cool if you had other shit you needed to be doing, and I've often abandoned arguments for that same reason, but I don't come back and say "oh I was right but people handwave it by saying they addressed my arguments".

No MrIndigo, I had already related the story of Catholic Adoption Services in Massachusetts being closed down because of litigation from a gay couple who *knew* there were other adoption services that would cater to them and *knew* the Catholic service would not support their adoption on religious grounds. I also reiterated the case of a preacher in Canada banned from speaking based on his religious principles.
This isn't really relevant, it's almost a non-sequitur. There are isolated individuals and groups on both sides of any debate who engage in this kind of douchebaggery. Should we be making rules on abolishing religious freedoms purely because of the behaviours of Fred Niles?

There are of course also other issues in play with those examples; the former is whether religious organisations should be permitted to be in charge of particular services ordinarily provided by the state (i.e. issues of abdication), which is open to argument. The latter is the classic freedom of speech issue.

The reason religious freedom is so vexed and so often causes conflicts like this is because there is a very real danger that unrestricted religious freedom will allow people to do whatever they want and dress it up as a religious belief in order to avoid prosecution. Religion is by-and-large too broad to be navigated into it's own particular sector of freedoms, which means in any nontheocratic (or anarchistic) society, religious freedom is constantly going to be under scrutiny and shifting borders.

No, the only people forcing anything on anyone is judicial radicals forcing their definition of marriage on the rest of us. Those activists believe it is a statement of fact that gender is irrelevant to the marriage relationship (in fact, directly per the "facts" the judge in the most recent case found), but most Americans believe that gender is definitional to the relationship.
The judicial activists aren't forcing a definition of marriage on you. The definition of marriage (in a legal sense) does not change your rights in the slightest as a heterosexual Catholic; it doesn't change your relationship, it doesn't even change your religion. It doesn't actually affect you in the slightest.

On the other hand, enforcing a heterosexual-only marriage definition does actually affect homosexual couples materially. They don't get the benefit of constructive trust when purchasing property together, they don't get visitation rights, they get worse taxation positions, etc. etc. There is an actual, tangible effect when this interpretation of marriage is enforced.

Furthermore, even under your rhetoric of the judges forcing their definitions on the public... that's what their role is. They are supposed to do that.

Finally, I believe a recent newspoll after the Prop8 overturn showed a 52% support for gay marriage. So "most" Americans, according to that poll, don't support.

They believe this because they also believe marriage has an actual function outside of government recognition of love or whatever liberals believe the definition of marriage is (because they will not define what they believe marriage is, only that opposing their definition is bigoted.) They won't go further then to say it is "a right" and it "deserves equal protection," but not once will they tell you specifically what marriage actually represents.
One function is for the Government to incentivise people to make formal relationships with each other because that typically means they can support each other financially and hence the Government needs to support them less. It also incentivises cohabitation, etc. etc. (although you could, in theory, do this equally well by splintering off the economic benefits of marriage into their own particular categories, but that tends to be legislatively messy and more complicated than just creating a class of relationship that attaches all the privileges to it).

Canada's campaign to ban speech the Canadian government does not approve of leads me to believe that clashes of religious liberty and other liberties are at the forefront of their civic debates, not just in gay marriage but in others. For example Canada remains the only Western nation with the black mark of prosecuting a paper for publishing the Mohammed Cartoons. Whatever their definition of constitutional rights, it would seem either a) speech is not among them or b) speech takes the lowest preference. As religious expression is often synonymous with speech, I worry about it the most.
Assuming it is like Australia, it's not that speech is the lowest, but simply does not take uniformly highest priority. When you consider that most 'freedom of speech' extends to nonverbal communication as well, giving a blanket immunity from liability for freedom of speech would imply a carte blanche on any law (for instance, assault would be impossible to prosecute since people could simply say they were communicating their discontent).

It is not as if they are physically unable to have relationships that match the general moral characteristics of marriage already, it's the imprimatuer of government approval that is the objective. As marriage has the implication of consummation, the activists now have free reign to teach how they "consummate" as a legitimate discussion topic in a curriculum, for example.
Actually, you're wrong. Consummation is irrelevant to marriage. Even if it was, it's not in the curriculum at the moment so why would it be any different if you changed the definition of marriage?

This is specifically why I do not support gay marriage but do support all of the visitation, inheritence, and other benefits associated with marriage applied to homosexual couples at the individual level (which is where these benefits should be applied anyway, for gays and straights alike). This makes it impossible for gay activists to use clearly unfair individual examples as an argument that we must recognize gay marriages to guarantee these rights. By removing the substantive concerns away from the socially heavy word "marriage," we preserve the latter as most Americans view and live it while securing the former, as no significant opposition to it exists.
So your issue is not about the rights to be afforded, but just the semantic choice of words? What if the Government abandoned any control of marriage (as in the religious institution) and implemented a new relationship recognised by the state, and simply had the documents to be signed at the end of the religious marriage ceremony be replaced by the ones for the recognised relationship?

Parenting is pretty simple when your only standard is "the kids are doin' fine." In reality, there are volumes of studies on fatherhood in the home and its immense positive impact when present and impense negative impact when absent (I point to fathers as absentee fatherhood is the greatest immediate social problem in family structure.). A good society must demand that children have a mother and father in the home if at all possible. No waffling, no pretending that "it's complicated" and that it can be fudged because "the kids are doin' fine anyway." I don't support substandard societial notions, and any family outside the mother/father model already has serious inherent problems. Being "better than nothing" is not a good enough standard. Should there be a condition outside of the mother/father model, it should be by happenstance not official policy.
The argument that marriage is about childrearing has been debunked earlier in this thread, but to restate: The mother-father component is not sufficient (and arguably not necessary, since there are arguments that parental roles are not the same as gender roles) to contribute to a healthy upbringing, as evidenced by all the shithouse mother-father pairs there are, and how the children raised in same-sex family can and do often develop into healthier and more well-balanced individuals than those in the shit mother-father pairs (I also seem to remember seeing a study in Australia recently that children raised by same-sex couples outperform those in opposite-sex couples academically on average, but I can't recall exactly).

If you say that you only accept the perfect standards of relationship for childrearing, then your allegation of same-sex couples being worse maybe stands, but it must follow logically from your position that single parents should also be banned from childraising, as should any parents that could be considered to be unsuitable for drugs, insufficient monetary resources etc.

If you don't support this, then you're inconsistent which would suggest an underlying bias, or at least an irrationality. If you do support this concept, you must surely see that it is totally impractical to enforce, since you can't stop people from having unprotected sex even when they're incapable parents.

MrIndigo, which political party is it that supports all sorts of bans on currently legal activities? Which one wants to ban smoking, the consumption of trans fats, and inhibit all other forms of choice (school choice esp.)? Which one wants to force you to purchase health insurance under penalty of law? I sincerely doubt you have a problem with "telling people how to live their life" via laws when it is your preferred policies being implemented. (I am to take it you live outside the States, but I'm sure you have at least one equivalent, if not two or more).
The former impacts upon those not choosing to smoke, so it can be differentiated in that regard. The rest follow from the government provision of healthcare, which is an entirely other issue that can be debated at length elsewhere.

I have a problem when one person in a black robe believes it is their duty to define social institutions for huge numbers of Americans. That is not the place of a judge; judges are not social arbiters. If the judge had decided that the state of California is not required to recognize gay marriage as gay marriage is not part of the social understanding of marriage, would you view that judge as a hero or a monster?

Such a judge is a monster regardless of how he decides if he makes a decision in that manner. I oppose giving judges that authority. You apparently support judges having that authority, but only if they decide in a way that alligns with your beliefs.

Or am I wrong, and you do not believe judges should be social arbiters?
You can't have a legal arbiter without a social arbiter. The concepts of law and society are inherently intertwined. As a scholar of law, if a judge here made an enforcable decision that I didn't agree with (and it often happens), I would either point out the legal error (and not just say waaaaaah democracy) if there was one, particularly as part of a judicial appeal mechanism, or appeal to the legislative arm of the government to legislate contrary, or if in the case of a Constitutional interpretation issue, appeal to call a referendum.

I'd point out the problem with this, but the poster above just said exactly what I would have.

Reverb

You know, if you had extended this whole "hey there could be alternative explanations for misleading statistics" thing to your argument regarding crime rates for single-parent households and the comparison to homosexual households, my post would not have been necessary.
I thought I made that pretty clear with my multiple clarification posts.

That has nothing to do with psychology, it has to do with a simple fact of single-parent households. Children with one parent have that parent necessarily devote less time to the child due to various issues (increased need to work longer hours for income, other obligations or hobbies) which will obviously negatively influence that child's growth and maturity. Two homosexuals parents do not have this issue since...there are two of them. Basically the fundamental problem with child rearing in a single-parent household has to do with lack of enough attention paid to the child, which is actually rather common in upper-class households in general. It has little to do with gender roles...unless, as I said before, a bunch of dicks try to make fun of the kid for having gay parents.

I'm surprised that as someone who studied psychology your professors managed to teach you outdated freudian gender roles but not the fundamentals of abnormal child psychology in a single-parent setting. I wasn't trying to imply that you were a bigot, however, merely that your position that homosexual parents are somehow "harmful" to a child is not backed by substantial evidence.
To address the professors thing, I'm 17, so I'm still in high school. Unless you yourself are an expert on psychology, I wouldn't make such a claim that there is no psychological affect regarding growing up with a single parent. That type of experience will undoubtedly have a psychological effect on the child, since they will be surrounded by confusing feelings and not have a the "proper" two parent model present when they develop. As for it not being backed by substantial evidence, I don't think there has been any proper research into the topic, and I am having an issue articulating this because I am not an expert on psychology. It's just something that should be explored, because after all, in the end it affects children. Hence, it's worthwhile to look into.

In the end, the child will be confused with who his/her real parents are, and after he/she becomes 18. Nine times out of ten, they will straight away try to find their real parents.
A lot of criminals grew up without a mother or/both without a father
Gay couples can do anything with there lives, its just that a lot more damage will be done to the child than the parent.

In the end, the child will be confused with who his/her real parents are, and after he/she becomes 18. Nine times out of ten, they will straight away try to find their real parents.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

A lot of criminals grew up without a mother or/both without a father
Many more killers grew up with both parents. That's also not relevant here, because children raised by gay parents will ordinarily not be from a single parent family.

Coincidentally, there is something like a 94% rate of strict religious upbringing amongst serial killers.

Gay couples can do anything with there lives, its just that a lot more damage will be done to the child than the parent.
This is proven untrue. Being raised by gay parents does no discernable damage; many children are ALREADY raised by same-sex parents.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Many more killers grew up with both parents. That's also not relevant here, because children raised by gay parents will ordinarily not be from a single parent family.

Coincidentally, there is something like a 94% rate of strict religious upbringing amongst serial killers.

This is proven untrue. Being raised by gay parents does no discernable damage; many children are ALREADY raised by same-sex parents.
Wheres your source for that percentage?
And in that last sentence, your assuming that I think children will become serial killers the moment they are born/adopted if they have gay parents. That is wrong, its there upbringing that matters, most children who are adopted, either are orphans or have poor/bad parents. Therefore they will need someone that people can relate to to look for help, and in school discriminiation happens alot, and most of the time, people dont tell on people for teasing.
Im not saying that religious people dont become serial killers, everyone has the 'potential to be a killer' its that some have a more 'potential' than others due to their environmental upbringing

I do not need to back it up, its a figure of speech. However saying 94% right of the bat needs evidence
"Nine times out of ten" = 90% of the time = statistic = needs backing up.

Or, even if it is just a figure of speech, it is still implied that they will usually look for their real parents, which again needs backing up.

I do not need to back it up, its a figure of speech. However saying 94% right of the bat needs evidence
Saying that children will get confused and likely look for their parents is not a figure of speech. It is a statement that you are trying to pass as fact. Back it up.

Saying that gay couples will damage the children they raise must also be backed by evidence.

You also said that people raised without a mother/father are criminals. We just discussed this. Correlation does not imply causation. Perhaps they lost their fathers due to gang violence. Maybe they live in poor neighborhoods. It could easily be the lack of a safe environment that makes them more likely to be criminals, and also less likely to have a father/mother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)