How did any of you arrive at your conclusion?

Im an atheist myself, I fully believe in evolution and big bang and such events. I have no problem with people who believe in god.

The closest thing that I can agree with a God is the "thing" that started the Big Bang, like the thing that set it off. Everything else has been due to all these processes etc

Now about the rape.

Now the bible has some cultural component to it as well just remember that. In those days women had to be pure virgins to be married. A woman that is not a virgin would be viewed as committing adultery etc.... So to make it fair, in that old world view, if you taste the apple you have to buy it type of punishment.However, this also protected the young woman from a life of poverty by having a man to support her since her chance of getting married were slimmed because she was no longer a virgin.

Wouldn't it have been better for God to state that a raped woman was still considered a virgin in his eyes? He could have easily made an exception. Forcing a woman to marry her rape victim is still cruel. She should be able to choose whether or not she wants to marry him. I imagine that at least a few women would rather choose poverty.

If she did not scream, that means it was mutual so they were both fornicators.

That is really stupid. Rape victims do not always scream. Sometimes they are so traumatized that they are literally made speechless. Your god seems to know jack shit about human psychology. I am more inclined to believe that the Bible was written by humans.
I still do not think that murder is a justifiable punishment for adultery, or childhood disobedience.

They judged virginity by the state of the hymen back then.
Which is why I said God could have made an exception for rape victims...

something like

"And she who has no hymen due to rape shalt still be considered a virgin in my eyes, and you shalt treat her as if she were a virgin."

If she did not scream, that means it was mutual so they were both fornicators.( I"m sure they would understand if she were knocked out or something) If she did scream the above rule applies because she wouldn't be able to get married.
I truly hope you do not believe that yourself.

Your point about the Bible being cultural is valid, but creates problems of its own. Since the Bible is in many ways a product of its times, how can anything it says be relied upon? And if the Old Testament is not applicable to today's culture, is the New?

That's the main problem with Christianity. It refuses to adapt to the scientific breakthroughs and current society.

Way back when, it was extremely easy to do the "no sexual experiences until marriage" because you didn't have to hold your hormones back for 6 years before you could get married.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's the main problem with Christianity. It refuses to adapt to the scientific breakthroughs and current society.

Way back when, it was extremely easy to do the "no sexual experiences until marriage" because you didn't have to hold your hormones back for 6 years before you could get married.
I'm going to point you for generalizing. How is it that I can keep my faith, and still pursue a field in science at the same time. Sorry to burst your bubble, but most Christians don't believe that the world is 6000 years old, or that dinosaurs never existed.

In my mind, I can reconcile science and my faith. It's just those fanatic right wingers conservative nut heads that keep on portraying this sense of how Darwinism is from the devil, and that science is the tool of the devil.

In fairness, some denominations of Christianity. Not all are conservative. I get the impression that dominates in the USA, but not in Europe. The furore over homosexual clergy springs to mind

Careful before you make such sweeping generalizations. The Catholic church might be slow to adapt scientific breakthroughs (it has through the years adopted certain scientific breakthroughs, albeit very slowly), but other sects of Christianity regularly accept science and aren't backward and barbaric as people claim.

Was raised in Christian school, assumed I believed in Jesus etc, had a little think about it at around the age of seven and decided I didn't. By the time I was nine I was getting back into it, however unpleasant things had already been done to me and so after a little more critical thought I decided that once again it wasn't for me. By the time I was in my early teens I joined a happy-clappy Baptist church and was told that I should pray for forgiveness for something that was not my fault (I'd asked about being Baptised); since then that's pretty much been it with me and God. I just can't be bothered.

This is all there is. It's cold and it's dark and it's often terrifying. But - to me - if I lose sight of that I'll waste this life not doing everything I could because I'm waiting for something bigger. And I think this is my only chance.

Er, yeah. I worded that completely wrong.

But it's the fact that people follow that path that makes it completely wrong.

I meant that I've seen some modern people going "Masturbation is bad and you should never do it", and (I'm assuming) it includes wet dreams, and there's the whole "no sex until marriage" which won't hold up in today's society due to the average age you get married at.

I just have gripes of anybody refusing to adapt simply to please their religion's "origins".

But separate secular systems have no right to condemn other systems, other than they "feel wrong" to that other secular system.
Every system, secular or religious, is at liberty to condemn what they don't agree with. There is nothing special about religion that gives it a stronger right to condemn others.

They are weak in principle and therefore require force, which brings us back to the ultimate ethic of secularism being "might makes right."
Whether a system requires force depends simply on whether one is imposing it on others or not, rather than its designation as secular or religious. A religious regime depends on the principle "might makes right" just as much as a secular one. Sharia law would not be nearly so threatening if your arm didn't get chopped for stealing. Conversely, a religious body without any form of punishment is just as weak as any other secular philosophy that employs no tangible penalties.

The rule of law is completely separated from violations of moral principle. Religious principle, followed properly, does not change. The rule of law depends on the law, which is secular, and therefore inherently subject to change.
Mayber I should have made this clearer, but by "rule of law" I meant the notion that the same set of principles should apply to everyone, even the officers administering them. It's a property that any set of principles, secular or religious, can have. Moreover, it does not depend on the law, it underpins the law, and informs how laws should be made and applied.

Religion is the bulwark against secular tyranny. Why do you think organized religion was and is the target of so very many tyrants, especially in the 20th century.
Because those "tyrants" seek to destroy any group that might resist them. Given that that the media is generally targeted also, it's clear that religion is not the only thing in their way.

Secularism and religion have to work together. A religiously informed, moral secularism was the basic foundation of the United States of America, and it is difficult to argue with the success. Religion alone leads to fanaticism and Secularism alone leads to tyranny. Ultimately, a just society must acknowledge that there is a higher law protecting intrinsic human worth and inalienable human rights. Secularism is by definition incapable of doing that, since its ultimate reference for knowledge and authority is internal to humanity.
I disagree. Explicit acknowledgement of the existence of human rights is not necessary for producing a just society. By this metric, any society without a bill of rights is unjust. This would include Canada before 1982, New Zealand before 1990, England before 1998 and Australia to the present day, all of which are patently no less "just" than the US.

Secularism is perfectly capable of providing institutions that protect human rights without acknowledging a divine source for those rights, through doctrines such as the separation of powers, free speech and independent media. None of these require a resort to divine power.

"The government grants you rights" is secularism's calling card. No wonder it devolves to tyranny everywhere it is not reinforced by religious principles (or those principles are actively attacked by agents of the secular state.) Principles that turn government's role into adjudicator of violations rather than arbiter of the rights themselves.
There distinction between adjudicating violations of and deciding the content of rights is flimsy at best. Both involve determing the boundaries of particular rights, which are simply functions of stakeholder interests and material circumstances. "Religious principles" do not change the character of this secular legal exercise.

God exists as the source of timeless morals that no human being has the right to violate. Now suppose as you might argue, which God possesses the right morals, e.g. religious vs. religious discussions. The easiest determinant is applying their God's principles to their own people. If their God is one of war, war with them to eradicate it. Such a God does not consider human rights inviolable and is therefore no better than any secular government.
That's great, but it's not that easy in real life. Most Gods do not have just the one attribute, some of which may be at odds with each other (e.g. justice and mercy). This opens the door for a variety of ways of applying these attributes, leading to different schools of thought, which may come in and out of vogue at different times. This is then no different from the "ephemeral" nature of secular philosophy.

Government does not have the power to temper men's souls and elevate their spirits, because love is not conducive to government control. Secular governments can only inspire hatred and shackle with servitude, because their only power is coercion.
Government does not need to "temper men's souls" or "elevate their spirits", its role is to ensure that society runs smoothly. If the role of religion is not conducive to ensuring obedience, it cannot effectively regulate the operation of society. At best, religion serves a different purpose different to government, and there can be no comparison between the two.

Deck Knight's entire argument is based on the consequences of belief rather than objective truth, which, in case anyone needs reminding, is an informal fallacy. In his world, religion has utility solely because it provides a convenient framework to keep the general populace in line with patriarchal order, just as bogeyman stories are used to make children behave. Whether or not religious beliefs conform to reality is of little concern, which is why believers of various stripes with theoretically irreconcilable doctrinal differences are willing to form alliances to attack atheism. The accusation that atheists believe might makes right smacks of projection coming from someone whose belief system attempts to coerce supposedly moral behavior through supernatural threats. If I wanted to be generous I could say the threat is replaced with the promise of a reward, but that's merely the difference between a carrot and a stick. The problem is that the incentive, whether positive or negative, falls apart under rational scrutiny and, without being replaced by a new framework, leaves a void, which is what that Nietzsche quote that everyone loves to misinterpret was getting at. Ironically, Nietzsche himself would sit better with Deck Knight's philosophy than my own, given his rejection of egalitarianism as slave morality. On that note, all this ranting about worship of the state is bizarre. There is no political philosophy inherent to atheism, and everyone who isn't an anarchist expects governments to enforce behavior in certain ways. I know Deck Knight would love to start ranting about godless communists, but that's a red herring to avoid having to present material evidence for his religion. Besides, how would anyone explain the existence of Ayn Rand?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess I never actually answered the thread's question so I will here.

I was weakly raised Episcopalian by my parents as an attempt to expose me to Christianity. It made sense, it'd be important for me to learn about religion and stuff. I guess I was into it when I was 9 or 10 and didn't fully realize what I thought and said about the world. I began Confirmation, and as a part of that I had to read the Bible. I began noticing how it contradicted my science classroom a lot (Genesis had me hung up), and then began wondering about all the apparent references to feudalism with Lords and stuff. Then I didn't really go to church much anymore (my parents stopped taking me) and stopped thinking about it until it came up in history when I was 12 or so. I took a critical look at religion in general and the idea of Gods and the Bible and decided from there I was atheist.

Since then, I've learned a lot to validate the conclusion I came to in my mind.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deck Knight's entire argument is based on the consequences of belief rather than objective truth, which, in case anyone needs reminding, is an informal fallacy. In his world, religion has utility solely because it provides a convenient framework to keep the general populace in line with patriarchal order, just as bogeyman stories are used to make children behave.
I mourn for the education system that produced a being capable of spouting such drivel. Sadly, the funeral for such post-modernist BS is probably premature. "Patriarchal order." Did akuchi possess you or something? The post-modernists should have stuck to art because they only operate in frameworks.

Whether or not religious beliefs conform to reality is of little concern, which is why believers of various stripes with theoretically irreconcilable doctrinal differences are willing to form alliances to attack atheism.
I was unaware atheism was important enough to attack. Generally, adults ignore children who whine "I'm right, daddy! I went to college and I'm more enlightened than you now! Why are you ignoring me daddy! I'm smarter than you, daddy!" Which is pretty much what capital-A, in your face Atheism does. Most religions are more concerned with instructing their own faithful how to live moral lives than to gang up on poor little old "reality-conforming" atheism. The number of times any of my pastor, clergyman, or religious instructors have referred to atheism in any light is approximately zero. The world really doesn't revolve around atheists. Theists can think each other's belief systems are flawed or incomplete without making conjectures about how they don't conform to "reality."

The accusation that atheists believe might makes right smacks of projection coming from someone whose belief system attempts to coerce supposedly moral behavior through supernatural threats. If I wanted to be generous I could say the threat is replaced with the promise of a reward, but that's merely the difference between a carrot and a stick. The problem is that the incentive, whether positive or negative, falls apart under rational scrutiny and, without being replaced by a new framework, leaves a void, which is what that Nietzsche quote that everyone loves to misinterpret was getting at.
Or it could be that atheistic regimes of the last century went on a campaign of brutal mass murder once those damned theists got plowed out of the secular state's way. In short: when allowed to be taken to its logical conclusion, the secular insistence that Man is God (or if you prefer, the highest authority) leads to brutality. Secularism falls apart under historical scrutiny. Give a godless man enough power and he subjects his neighbors, because that is man's nature. His only commitment is to himself, he does not even pretend there might be a higher rule than his own. All the supernatural "threats" as you call them by definition do not carry temporal consequences. I suppose you think it's nobler to do something at the point of the police officer's gun than God's wrath because God's wrath isn't tangible, but its the same difference. Except the police officer's gun doesn't tell you to do better than the bare minimum.

Please excuse me for using "he," if you are reading akuchi. Women can and will do the same thing. The difference between Margaret Sanger and the other eugenicists is Margaret Sanger was never in a position to control every lever of a totalitarian state. But since no women have ever yet been in such positions, well, you can understand. I wouldn't want people to accuse me of defending patriarchal order or something.

''Ironically, Nietzsche himself would sit better with Deck Knight's philosophy than my own, given his rejection of egalitarianism as slave morality. On that note, all this ranting about worship of the state is bizarre. There is no political philosophy inherent to atheism, and everyone who isn't an anarchist expects governments to enforce behavior in certain ways. I know Deck Knight would love to start ranting about godless communists, but that's a red herring to avoid having to present material evidence for his religion.
"Might is right" is the logical conclusion of an atheistic society, as pointed out for us by the entirety of the 20th century. Each atheistic society concluded in a pile of bones, economic desperation, and general poverty and destitution. Excuse me if I'm loath to find the rationality in a system with no universal morals. I don't believe its rational to base a system around non-belief to begin with. Atheism's entire existence is shaped by a reactionary anger to the beliefs of others and the core conclusion that they are irrational.

Agnostics at least lack the hubris to call others irrational for not reaching the same conclusions about reality. The only agnostic state I can think of is the fictional "Neutral Planet" in Futurama.

It's called faith for a reason SSBM Roy. I couldn't present to you physical evidence that you would accept anyway, as any evidence I present would be outside the realm of your understanding. All I can say is that the previous century lays to waste the idea that if your society gets rid of God then it will bring us into a new age of rational enlightenment. God does not need to prove himself to you, and I don't need to prove him to you. All the evidence I need can be obtained from the distinct effects a societal lack of belief in God produces. As different cultures as the Chinese, Russians, Germans, and Italians all tried godless societies, and they all ended up the exact same way.

Besides, how would anyone explain the existence of Ayn Rand?
Same way they'd explain your or my existence, I imagine. I don't know what makes you believe your existence is somehow more explicable than Ayn Rand's. Mine certainly isn't.

Atheism may be true. Atheism may be logically consistent. It's no way to run a nation or a life, though. Logical consistency is not the highest value in the universe, and that's the only valuable thing a non-belief in something provides.

Politics is the study of power. Because humans value power, it will always exist. It is thus ridiculous to separate atheism with secularism, because ultimately atheism will concentrate its power in the highest form of secular human organization, a federal government. Atheism only functions safely in the vacuum of theory, where logical consistency is the only acceptable value.

Any muslims here?
In Islam, your birth means your already a Muslim; and there are very few exceptions.
I rarely debate in religion, and I believe that is more as a way to be spiritually connected with others, and bring people closer together. Islam places strict rules in our lives because they have a reason. We don't eat pork because of its fat content, and eat halal, because we can trust the source. Praying has the main purpose of bringing you closer to god, and the Qur'an how to lead our lives to the fullest extent. When people bash us on the prophet Mohamed, you have to understand his role at the time. He was a pious man, (and many sources confirm this) that had a revelation about the idea of god. Idolatry worship in the Arabic countries in that time corrupted its people; mixed ideas plagued it at that time. How did I reach my conclusion? I read about the golden age of the empire of Islam, how scholars contributed to the world, how life was lived peacefully; religion is one of the things that people ONLY have

DK you are batshit crazy.

Are you seriously suggesting that godless atheism will inevitably lead to the deterioration of morality and civilization? I especially love the ridiculous hyperbole you use to describe this "imminence" you speak of.

And are you seriously suggesting that even if atheism is the most correct "quasi-religious" explanation of the nature of our existence we should nevertheless delude ourselves because if we do not have a false God to believe in we will destroy ourselves? That's completely baseless--religion has nothing to do with the prevention of destruction and hatred (hello Crusades and general xenophobia of conservative Christians in the US).

Honestly dude, you have a mental disorder. You are obviously not stupid, yet you say stupid shit. You spout every conceivable populist Republican notion regardless of its absurdity in cong. You are delusional and I say this with utter seriousness--like Republican's disease or something. Either that or you are the world's most ultimate troll. If you are trolling, then I honestly will get on my knees and worship you for your brilliance, because you seem like you are out of your mind (but with just the tiniest ounce of rationality so as to not immediately discredit you). I know I'm not the first to say this but damn it never gets old and every time it shocks me.

Don't take this the wrong way, though--never change. Your posts are gold mines of unintentional (or maybe intentional...) comedy.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I mourn for the education system that produced a being capable of spouting such drivel. Sadly, the funeral for such post-modernist BS is probably premature. "Patriarchal order." Did akuchi possess you or something? The post-modernists should have stuck to art because they only operate in frameworks.
this is the best refutation of any argument ive ever seen hahaha. hes bored of responding to the point, time to just spout rhetoric! ssbm roy you been done got trolled

I was born into a very Catholic family so that's how I ended up being Catholic. That is just a shadow of my real belief though. I am actually a Practical Atheist. Don't misinterpret, I DO believe in the existence of God, I just tend to put other things first before him. However, at school, I tend to act religious and pray and all just for the sake that Catholicism = elitism in our place here.

Oh by the way, I am from the Philippines

II am actually a Practical Atheist. Don't misinterpret, I DO believe in the existence of God, I just tend to put other things first before him.
Wait, what? That's contradictory. Do you mean to say you're a Deist? (One who believes in the existence of God, but that he does not intervene in the Universe after its creation.)

Wait, what? That's contradictory. Do you mean to say you're a Deist? (One who believes in the existence of God, but that he does not intervene in the Universe after its creation.)
Wrong...practical atheism is defined as "disregard of God, godlessness in life or conduct. This doesn't imply that I am a Deist. I just never saw the purpose of having faith in God although I knew that there is God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)