CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 11 (Name Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright. Minus and I came up with a name for "Woodman." We decided on:

Hyotetsu: (Hyo= Fire in Japanese)+(Koutetsu=armor in Japanese)

Solmineux: (Sol= sun in Latin) + ( Volmineux= bulky in French)

We might get some other ideas too.

Shooting off Pyroak, I was thinking of Pyrowan, but that sounds a little funny to me. Any other good trees that start with o or ro?

I was thinking something along the lines of:
木材ドラゴン
Mokuzaidoragon?

Seems a little repetitive.
Moku = Wood/Tree
Zai = Timber/Log
Doragon = Dragon

So... wood log dragon?

Also, isn't there a character limit of 12 for names in Pokemon? This one would be 14.

These seem interesting. How would you pronounce "Solmineux"?

Pyroak sounds the most "pokemonish" again, just pointing this out since we've had this problem in this CAP.

Lengotola- "Lucerotla" means lizard, and "lengo" means wood in Italian.

Treogle- Wood Salamander in Norweigan.

Holzeidechse- German....

Fuernchse- German for Fire Lizard...

Fryougle- Norweigan...

Mariguana is too close to Marijuana. As a game released mostly targetted at young-age kids, this is a horrible idea.

And about Leonin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonin

Czajro (Flamewood + Pyro)

PRONOUNCIATION: CHAI-roh
Chai means flamewood in Chinese. CZAJ (still pronounced as Chai) is a Russian way of spelling it, with the same pronounciation, and looks cooler.

Ro is from Pyro, since it shoots flames from its duel cannon arms.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Solmineux is pronounced (soul)+(min)+(oowe).

"Oowe" is a rather crude pronounciation of "eux," but it if you have ever heard French, the "eux" suffix would have a silent X. Try to imagine it like that.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
As a game released mostly targetted at young-age kids, this is a horrible idea.
Mariguana is a nice gimmick at best, but it is not a suitable for our Pokemon. I don't think that'll stop it from adopting the nickname, though.

Blastimander
Lognition (log plus ignition hurr hurr, does sound catchy)

I really like carboneus though, I'd vote for that if mine didn't make it.

Mariguana is too close to Marijuana. As a game released mostly targetted at young-age kids, this is a horrible idea.

How was Smogon ever associated with or as a place for young-age kids? Mariguana is probably the best name in this entire thread, best sounding and most suitable too.

Pyroak sounds the most "pokemonish" again, just pointing this out since we've had this problem in this CAP.

Holzeidechse- German....

Fryougle- Norweigan...

To shed further light on the whole leonin situation:

Leonin is a race of beings from the card game Magic: The Gathering. They are a catlike race that lives on a metallic plane known as Mirrodin.

I don't know if this is what whoever came up with Leonin is referring to, but knowing this, I find it difficult to call are armored salamander "Leonin."

I think I like Komandre and Komolder the most, I like the whole komodo dragon idea alot. Next best I guess would be Pyroak, although I don't really think this guy has that much to do with trees, it does sound catchy and pokemon-y.

I actually like Mariguana the best lol, and while I don't think it really matters that the game is made with kids in mind blah blah considering this is not a nintendo project and we don't necessarily have to follow that standard, I can understand that it is just a bit to gimmicky for the CAP project.

But it would be cool lol

Edit: Hmm, now that I've seen it, I think my favorite has changed to Florauna. I like the combination of flora and fauna, and that is is reminiscent of iguana. It also rolls of the tongue.

Holzeidechse- German....

Fryougle- Norweigan...

No offense, but I can't even spell most of these names. Pokemon names should be simple sounding in the American translations and most should be able to look at the name and be able to know the origin of where the name came from.

Again, as I had suggested earlier in the CAP process, I was thinking something along the lines of Varanition; a mix of the words ‘Varanus’, the genus of which goanna belong to, and ‘ignition’, the action of setting on fire. ‘Varanus’ is derived from the Arabic word ‘waral’, meaning ‘monitor’ when translated to English, and goanna are a species of monitor lizards.

Varignite is a slight variation; a mix between 'Varanus', again, and 'ignite'.

Do we really need all of these weird Chinese, German, and god knows what other language names? Some of them are creative, but others are simply not pokemon-esque at all in terms of pronunciation and spelling. Plus, shouldn't these names be able to be pronounced by 10-12 year old kids? I know that these aren't going to actually be used by that audience, but if we want an authentic looking pokemon, we should try to follow suite with what nintendo has done with their names. Some of the names have been really good, but others are just out there or simply too complex for any normal english person.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark

Along to this, I have also added another one.

Blastialisk (Blast)+(Basilisk)

GT, I have to say that I pity you if you're going to go through all the names and pick 10. When I was TL in the first CaP, I think there were only 10 names submitted.

Anyway, I posted this a few threads ago, but I'm submitting Fizard. Fire + Lizard, both which Woodman actually is. It also fits the pun thing Nintendo has going on, and isn't difficult to pronounce at all.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lol, Mariguana, it's a clever name, but not one I would find suitable for our wooden friend. It might be a good idea to use as a nickname once a real name is decided though,

I know I am kind of playing it safe, but Pyroak still founds like the most fitting name for this guy, in comparison to the names of other real fire pokemon. I am trying to make up my own name, but the results are always convoluted, as a result of my desperation to make something as simple yet catchy as "Pyroak". It's a very good name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)